SAS Solid Axle Summit #5 Official Thread (2 Viewers)

Color Choices for SAS #5 Shirt and Trail Flags

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Will we be using simplex frequencies on the trail? The programming I ordered is the wrong size. I can manually enter repeater frequencies in the area if needed.

Who's leaving the sf bay area? I was scheduled to be out of the country but not sure if that will happen. Just wondering when everyone is leaving so I can tag along.

Who's leaving the sf bay area? I was scheduled to be out of the country but not sure if that will happen. Just wondering when everyone is leaving so I can tag along.
I'm planning to leave San Jose Saturday morning, although that may get pushed back to Sunday if it takes too long to get packed or something comes up. I'm flying back to SJ Friday night.

While we're on the subject of brakes, you might want to check your caliper bolts before hitting the road.
✅

20210725_080327.jpg

If anyone has a big 40 like mine and needs a cheap cover for the event I found this one and it works good enough:

It's thin and s***ty but will keep the truck dry during the expected overnight showers I hope.

IMG_20210725_200931092.jpg
IMG_20210725_102410509.jpg
IMG_20210725_102351557.jpg

It's hard to find a cover to clear the snorkel.it would fit better without it. It fits right in the side view mirror spot now though lol

I'm getting pretty excited!

We're headed out from socal Friday early and will be headed through Ely Nevada, great basin NP, fishlake NF, then across. Plan to be there Sunday afternoon!

See you guys soon!

Mike

Anyone on the east coast heading west.

My doors and yard are open for a layover spot. Power and water hookups in your doing the rv thing as well. If you ask nicely maybe a hot shower and spare room

im just south west of Kansas City and about 30 min drive off i70 (which most will be crossing that way)

Ottawa Kansas

just give me a holler- open to all you cruiser heads

Last edited:
@thatcabledude hey Chris, what’s the latest on your repair and getting back on the road?

3E67526F-FE2D-43FE-BC29-50CF32FC3162.jpeg

Ever have one of those OH SH*T moments, and then you're REALLY glad that didn't happen on the trail?
When it rains it pours, I installed the Slee lines I had laying around and still have problems with leaks. No idea why but at this point I just need to get back on the road. The local Toyota dealer can get me all new OEM lines by tomorrow, including the longer frame lines from other applications.

Oh and the hard line at the LSPV also stripped out and when I cut it to install a new flare nut I broke it. So I'll pick up some new hard line today and I'll be remaking that one. I just want to have a nice trip.

@thatcabledude hey Chris, what’s the latest on your repair and getting back on the road?

View attachment 2742068
Just left a Safelite shop! They are going to squeeze me in sometime today. I’ve been dealing with a absolutely awesome woman that runs the front desk there. She got on the horn to find new glass as soon as I called Saturday. I didn’t get my hopes up, but she called me at 5:45 this morning on her way in to tell me she’d let me know at 7 if they got one to her.

Sure enough, at 7:05 she called with great news. 🙌🏻

When it rains it pours, I installed the Slee lines I had laying around and still have problems with leaks. No idea why but at this point I just need to get back on the road. The local Toyota dealer can get me all new OEM lines by tomorrow, including the longer frame lines from other applications.

Oh and the hard line at the LSPV also stripped out and when I cut it to install a new flare nut I broke it. So I'll pick up some new hard line today and I'll be remaking that one. I just want to have a nice trip.
I replaced the axle to caliper hoses on the rear of mine a few months ago. I hadn’t used so many curse words in a LONG time.

You are planning to join the convoy at @POTATO LAUNCHER ’s right? What route you taking to get there? I think that’s what I’m going to do now also. Have always wanted to and it looks like this may be my chance.

I replaced the axle to caliper hoses on the rear of mine a few months ago. I hadn’t used so many curse words in a LONG time.

You are planning to join the convoy at @POTATO LAUNCHER ’s right? What route you taking to get there? I think that’s what I’m going to do now also. Have always wanted to and it looks like this may be my chance.
That's the plan. We're leaving Jasper around noon on Thursday with an overnight in Little Rock. Friday we'll drive to Amarillo, hopefully getting there late afternoon. Route is heading northwest to Nashville and then taking I-40 all the way.

We will be heading out from DFW on Friday by noon. Not sure we will intersect. If we do great!

I have a set of SS that I never got around to putting on. I will bring them just in case?

Just a heads up to anyone coming east to west through Colorado.

I-70 through Glenwood Canyon has been closed several times so far this summer due to heavy rain and mudslides from last year’s burn scar in the canyon. You may not encounter any issues traveling I-70, but be sure to check the weather and the CDOT website because the detour in place takes you up through Steamboat and adds 4-5 hours of travel time depending on the day/traffic. If you want to avoid any potential issues, you can exit onto US-24 at Copper Mountain and head south through Leadville and Buena Vista and then head west on US-50 toward Montrose.

Also, if anyone is planning to take 285, it will be closed due to some bridge work just south of Fairplay, depending on when you come through. There’s a detour that takes you CO-9 to US-24 and only adds 10 or so minutes to the travel time, so no big deal. Again, check CDOT website for full details.

Hope this saves y’all some headache!

SAS 5 Texas Convoy will be traveling on Colorado Hwy 50 on Sunday. CDOT says construction delays to be expected between Gunnison and Montrose. The CDOT site also states open to traffic during the weekends. Can anyone confirm this with actual experience please?

So what’s the schedule of events Monday?

We were planning on leaving Friday and spending Saturday and Sunday in Canyons of the Ancients …. But now we have to push back a day and leave Saturday. I’d really like two days down there, which puts us into Ouray Tuesday. We can cut short the trip to the SW though - just assessing our options.

Also: it’s been VERY wet in the San Juans and there’s potential for slides on the trails. I think I saw Engineer was closed for some time yesterday. FYI.

SAS 5 Texas Convoy will be traveling on Colorado Hwy 50 on Sunday. CDOT says construction delays to be expected between Gunnison and Montrose. The CDOT site also states open to traffic during the weekends. Can anyone confirm this with actual experience please?
No real-time information, but when Kay and I passed through earlier this year they were adding a passing lane to a steep grade about 25 miles west of Gunnison, where US 50 crosses Pine Creek (just beyond the dam at Blue Mesa Reservoir).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom