For Sale Most Recent 80 Series Prices (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
There is a similar thread in both the 100 and 200 Classifieds Sections, makes sense here too. These trucks are changing hands at a rapid rate these days, having consolidated live market data is a nice thing for both buyers and sellers.

If you have recently bought or sold an 80 series and are comfortable sharing the details, post it here.

I've been following it since it was listed!
Are we taking bets on final price? I think it will go 6 figures at least......maybe a bidding war at the end up to $150k or even $200k? Rich people with a lot of money thinking "where am I going to get another one?" Should be interesting....

Here's the auction for reference. It's got it's own thread(s) now.

Here's the auction for reference. It's got it's own thread(s) now.
Thx for posting the link. I've been following the comments on BAT, but is there another thread here on Mud talking about it? Just curious.....thx

Thx for posting the link. I've been following the comments on BAT, but is there another thread here on Mud talking about it? Just curious.....thx

Throwing the idea around about picking up a 80 series. I bought a 200 series a few months ago and just recently sold my 5th gen 4R so now I'm looking at an 80 series project. There's a 96, TLC, non-locked with 244k miles for $9000 that I'm looking at. Frame is very clean and engine bay without rust either. Interior is in decent shape other than the leather seats being torn up front. The owner put some fuzzy looking seat covers on it but you can feel the tears while sitting down on them. So I'll have to replace the OE seat cover and maybe the foam. Carpet is clean without much staining. Exterior is okay with mostly sun fading on the hood and fenders. Otherwise no big dings or dents. It seems to be a well cared for vehicle and doesn't seem like it's been off-roaded much, if at all. I know it's not a "deal" necessarily but it's not terrible in this market I guess. While I love the idea of the 80 series I'm not in love enough to pay $20k - $40k (or more!!!) for lower mileage one either. I know I'll spend a few thousand baselining it and then redoing the seats plus any mods along the way. What do you guys think, $9k for this seem like a fair deal?

Throwing the idea around about picking up a 80 series. I bought a 200 series a few months ago and just recently sold my 5th gen 4R so now I'm looking at an 80 series project. There's a 96, TLC, non-locked with 244k miles for $9000 that I'm looking at. Frame is very clean and engine bay without rust either. Interior is in decent shape other than the leather seats being torn up front. The owner put some fuzzy looking seat covers on it but you can feel the tears while sitting down on them. So I'll have to replace the OE seat cover and maybe the foam. Carpet is clean without much staining. Exterior is okay with mostly sun fading on the hood and fenders. Otherwise no big dings or dents. It seems to be a well cared for vehicle and doesn't seem like it's been off-roaded much, if at all. I know it's not a "deal" necessarily but it's not terrible in this market I guess. While I love the idea of the 80 series I'm not in love enough to pay $20k - $40k (or more!!!) for lower mileage one either. I know I'll spend a few thousand baselining it and then redoing the seats plus any mods along the way. What do you guys think, $9k for this seem like a fair deal?
Just based on your description, seems like a decent deal. Do you know the history of it? Any maintenance records available? Accidents?
Did you see the 97 posted in the classifieds on here?

Just based on your description, seems like a decent deal. Do you know the history of it? Any maintenance records available? Accidents?
Did you see the 97 posted in the classifieds on here?

I haven't run a carfax on it yet. The current owner I believe is the 2nd owner and said there's no accidents. I think he recently replaced the radiator a year ago. He also repowder coated the wheels so they look pretty much new. Other than he said it's up to date on maintenance but who really knows. I'm unsure if the head gasket has been changed. HVAC and electronics all seem to work fine. I think if I'm truly serious about I'll run the carfax. Fortunately there's a good LC shop in town that I can take it to for a PPI or after purchase baselining.

I've been looking in the classifieds a bit. Do you have a link to the specific 97 you're talking about?

I haven't run a carfax on it yet. The current owner I believe is the 2nd owner and said there's no accidents. I think he recently replaced the radiator a year ago. He also repowder coated the wheels so they look pretty much new. Other than he said it's up to date on maintenance but who really knows. I'm unsure if the head gasket has been changed. HVAC and electronics all seem to work fine. I think if I'm truly serious about I'll run the carfax. Fortunately there's a good LC shop in town that I can take it to for a PPI or after purchase baselining.

I've been looking in the classifieds a bit. Do you have a link to the specific 97 you're talking about?
Carfax is hit or miss. I’d just make sure there aren’t any major discrepancies. For me, mileage discrepancies or major accidents are a no-go.

if it’s in decent shape, I’d scoop it up. I’m sure someone else is already looking at it unless you have first dibs.

Is this the dumbest BaT sale yet? A 200k mile 3FE for $25k.

"But the owner added non-sliding rear glass and quad headlights! Durr!" It's not even factory, wow that site has gotten absolutely out of hand.

1622767913136.jpg

Is this the dumbest BaT sale yet? A 200k mile 3FE for $25k.
It's a beauty, for sure. For someone with a lot of money, I guess they'll pay just about whatever is needed to acquire their "mint" Cruiser. BAT is a great site for finding really nice, classic rigs FS.

One of those FJ80's with about 250K miles, rust free but a bit neglected looking, sold for under $2K here a couple summers ago. I looked at it. Was tempted, but at the time had already owned a 3FE Cruiser going on 18 years. THAT was the right price (for me) though.

I'm pretty surprised at this sale on BAT.......$39k!? With 163k miles. I get that it's a CA truck, good color combo, 2 owners with records, and in good condition.......but still probably would have been a $20 to $25k truck not long ago! Guess it is the BAT effect?

I'm pretty surprised at this sale on BAT.......$39k!? With 163k miles. I get that it's a CA truck, good color combo, 2 owners with records, and in good condition.......but still probably would have been a $20 to $25k truck not long ago! Guess it is the BAT effect?

BaT has become completely retarded. It’s no longer even the high end of the market - it is essentially a separate thing with no basis in reality. The 80 market at large is operating in a completely different sphere.

The vast majority of buyers are the uber rich who had one of their “car buddies” tell them all the cars on there are “BaT vetted” and super special examples. So they just have their assistants assistant bid randomly on cars someone told them are cool. It doesn’t really make a difference to them if they pay $24k or $39k so they just pay whatever to have the perceived BaT insurance on their purchase.

One thing I do appreciate about BAT -are the number of photos - it gives a decent idea of the condition of what you are buying. I can't tell you how many misrepresented land cruisers I went to see from craigslist ads and finding that they were not good candidates. Driving and 1.5 hours on multiple occasions isn't fun and made for a lot of long and discouraging days when hauling my wife and kids along. The other nice thing with BAT is the messages from the buyers and seller are public if they communicate via BAT. It saves time asking the same question and brings to light issues or areas a new buyer may be unaware of. Are those conveniences worth the extra cost? Not to me but it may be to some. I am not sad to see the 80 series prices climbing but I am not in the market right now. The prices won't ever reach the minimum sale price i have set in my head for mine so I guess I shouldn't be happy for the rising prices either since it ultimately won't effect me unless I have to buy another one.

So here's the $9500 dollar special that was bound to pop up
I Bought this in Boise June of 2018 for $9500
3x locked, 280k miles with new engine, Labs rr bumper, cust front bumper with 10k winch, 35” tires, 2.5” lift, with lineX sides.

7D18FDB8-929C-42FB-AC76-7B350892976C.jpeg

9881916C-6AC7-497B-9C20-A51D780C36BD.jpeg

Last edited:

10 or so yrs ago it was an $8-12k Cruiser.

Any of us that been in these trucks long enough sees and knows what is going on.

To an old codger like myself we have seen this happen with other Cruiser models as well. Think about it, 15yrs ago a 35yr old was not long out of high school and 10yrs ago they were maybe just finishing college. Now they have a career and money and these vehicles are as trendy as they get. 🤷🏼‍♂️

15yrs ago I was 35 so ya.

Cheers

10 or so yrs ago it was an $8-12k Cruiser.

Any of us that been in these trucks long enough sees and knows what is going on.

To an old codger like myself we have seen this happen with other Cruiser models as well. Think about it, 15yrs ago a 35yr old was not long out of high school and 10yrs ago they were maybe just finishing college. Now they have a career and money and these vehicles are as trendy as they get. 🤷🏼‍♂️

15yrs ago I was 35 so ya.

Cheers
From BAT, "The seller states that the dash indicator light does not illuminate the “D” when in drive."
Just think how much it would bring if the D light was working.

By the way, I'm right there with you on your theory and being an old codger myself. I've been buying up all sorts of 80's cars over the last 20 years and fixed them up and sold them (VW's, Volvo's, Mercedes, Isuzu's, etc.) They were what I thought was cool when I was a teen in the 80's. Now they are finally going up in value. I still think the original Range Rovers are cool and the prices are shooting way up now. Also you can't even find an old Isuzu Trooper for sale any more. Too many blown head gaskets. They used to be everywhere.

Here's the next BAT 80 to watch, coming up in one day. I keep thinking prices will level out on the 80's, but they haven't so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom