Windshield group buy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am curious what the demand would be if I were to be able to get some windshields from my glass supplier? I sell residential windows and doors for a living and my local glass wholesaler has automotive glass on their invoices as available product. I asked about a 55 windshield and he said no problem. I was a bit nervous about posting this until I touched one. I still need to compare what I got to a windshield removed with out a rubber seal around it but it looks to be the same size and shape. Currently his supplier has 1 more unit for immediate delivery. I am going to buy it for now but if he can get more, who might be interested? I could sell them at $250 each with local pickup in Southern California. I would be willing to ship if buyer paid shipping, insurance and crating fees, with no promise of condition once in your possession. You would need to file a claim with carrier for any refund, if damaged in transit.

Fuyao FW00326 looks to be the part number, Chinese made.
20210719_150712.jpg
20210719_150706.jpg

I would love to be a part of this, but being in the middle of the US shipping would be as much as the windshield. Cruiser Corp has them for $500 and free shipping :). I've ordered two from them, but they are back ordered. For $250 with local pick up this is a good deal. Shipping is the deal killer with glass. I'm sure some will take you up on the offer.

I could use (counts on fingers) .. a couple. I have one new, haven’t even opened the crate so I could use as many as 3 more if it’s needed to make a minimum.

so I could use 1 or 2
Scraps wants 2
Rush55 wants 1
Bobm wants 1(?)

I wonder what crating would be and how many crates would fit in the bed of my f-350. I’d need to get mine to MD from LA. Stops AZ (Levi), MO (Ron), and NH (Bob?) before MD by the PA boarder.

ATX to LA is 1,400 miles
LA to Cottonwood, AZ is 470 miles
Cottonwood to Dittmer, MO is 1400 miles
Dittmer to NH: call it 1,250
NH to Frederick, MD: call it 500 miles

Right at 5,000 miles before I turn home to Texas or CO (depending on where I wanna be “home” and when this all ends.) but to Texas it’s about 1,500 miles

.vs just going and getting mine
ATX to LA: 1,400 miles
LA to Frederick, MD: 2,650 more
Frederick to ATX: 1,500 more

4,500 miles .vs 6,500

Truck gets about 11mph at 80-85 mph. 400-600 gallons of diesel at $3.20/gal national average ($4.20 in California) for the round trip(s), and an oil change at the end.

how much beer y’all gonna buy?

Cannonball, anyone?

Bueller?

I had one shipped last year from California to Alabama in a crate. Cost was $166 insured. That did not include the crate. I'm sure you could get more than one windshield in a crate but not sure how much that would increase costs. Also shipping prices have apparently gone up considerably since then.

If you are going all the way to LA, SOR claims to have NOS in stock. IIRC they are about $850 and they won't ship. Probably has limited appeal to most but thought I would throw that out there.

$887.99 each, plus CA State and LA County sales tax of 9.50% or $84.36 for $972.35 each.
Now if only they had the windshield gasket with moulding to match. :rolleyes:

Seems like there are plenty of people interested. I will work on a crate, the cost of plywood isn't going to help out much. Once I get that figured I will see what some generic shipping cost are based on the size, weight, destination. I will also see if my wholesaler can try to get between 5-10 more. Remember as of now he only has 1 more available, who knows when more might be available.

Not to detract from anyone's efforts at all but it seems that if a distributor in California can get these Fuyao windshields then other distributors should be able to do the same. I would at least check locally before you ship one. Now having said that, I am not trying to dissuade anyone from shipping one across the country. I would say anything under $500 all in is still a decent price given the rarity of these windshields, OEM or otherwise.

I agree, and at this price the crating and shipping becomes more work for me, with really only the satisfaction of helping other enthusiasts out, which I don't mind if it all makes sense for everyone involved.

I agree, and at this price the crating and shipping becomes more work for me, with really only the satisfaction of helping other enthusiasts out, which I don't mind if it all makes sense for everyone involved.
Same.

But if I bring you a windshield, I think you should buy the second round.

Initial research shows shipping increasing this price to $500 or so. This seems pretty high. I haven't taken anything to a carrier but based on estimated dimensions that's what the automated quotes are coming back at.

So, I just bought a windshield from Cruiser Corp for $499 plus 12 bucks insurance. That includes shipping which they call free. Last time a bought a windshield it was $170 plus @$300 for crating & shipping. If picking up they will discount some for the crating, etc. 🤷‍♂️ I now have "no deductible" windshield coverage on my insurance which I thought I had. :bang: It's extra even with full coverage on my policy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom