Parking brake not working question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I always engage the parking brake when parking out of habit, and noticed this weekend that it is currently doing a whole lot of nothing. Earlier this week I took it into the dealer to have new brake pads and rotors resurfaced along with a rebalance and alignment. They said the brakes and rotors gave them some issues because it was supposed to be ready by 1, they didn't get it finished till 5. Had something to do with having to repack the bearings I believe. Could the technician have screwed something up, or is this another case of a coincidence I'm just not realizing till now? '99 LX with 250k.

Bearings don’t get serviced in the rear- replacement only (and you would know by the price charged $$$ if that were performed).

e brake shoes need to be manually retracted to remove the rotor, and then re-set upon install. Most likely tech was speeding through the rebuild and the re-set procedure was skipped or poorly executed. Since you paid your hard earned $$ for a dealer to perform your brake service, take it back and have the ebrake correctly adjusted

Bearings don’t get serviced in the rear- replacement only (and you would know by the price charged $$$ if that were performed).

e brake shoes need to be manually retracted to remove the rotor, and then re-set upon install. Most likely tech was speeding through the rebuild and the re-set procedure was skipped or poorly executed. Since you paid your hard earned $$ for a dealer to perform your brake service, take it back and have the ebrake correctly adjusted

This.....^^^^^^

To the OP.

There is no 'repacking' of the rear bearings. Brake shoes should be adjusted to a point where they are just making contact with the brake hub, then backed off 6-8 clicks of the adjuster. Likely didn't happen.

…and depending on the experience of the tech sometimes they forget to back off the shoes before they try and pull the rotor- which can pull all the ebrake parts apart and off with the rotor- bending/mangling springs and retaining bits-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom