HIHX Bummer Update (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any particular GMRS channel you guys use? I kinda remember someone suggesting Channel 21 last year!

Most likely 20 (462.675) and 21 (462.700) this year. We used those two channels last year and had zero issues. I'll be rolling into Silverton on the 27th along with like 6-7 others comings from Salida area. We are camping in different areas around town. I believe 2-3 have hotels and 2-3 others are camping on the river bank in town. I'm camping at the Columbine Roadhouse right around the corner from Silverton. You're welcome to reach out to me if you want to make runs with us while you're there. My cell is (512) 800-1421.

I'll be coming up with my daughter. She called first dibs on the trip. I have three grown (early 20s) kids (2 boys and a girl) that all like to go off-roading.

My son is happy to hear that there might be someone around his age attending the second HIH that wasn’t. He thought last year was a bunch of “old farts”, in vehicles about his age 😂

Prior to this, his only request was a repeat of the mushroom Swiss burger special, from Eatery 66 in Ridgeway, which doesn’t seem to appear on their regular menu ☹️

I've never been to a HIH and didn't know what is was so I had to do a little research on this site. Looks like it was cancelled 2 years in a row for covid, but people still went last year and are going this year and it looks to be a BIG turn out. So why would you want to pay someone 275.00 to do the same thing next year? A couple of raffle tickets and a SWAG bag? Maybe this new format should be the way it is from now on...
Honestly, I'd pay $400 for this experience again but shhhh 🤫 don't tell anyone that.

I've never been to a HIH and didn't know what is was so I had to do a little research on this site. Looks like it was cancelled 2 years in a row for covid, but people still went last year and are going this year and it looks to be a BIG turn out. So why would you want to pay someone 275.00 to do the same thing next year? A couple of raffle tickets and a SWAG bag? Maybe this new format should be the way it is from now on...
Yep, you got it....proved that you ABSOLUTELY do not get it...but knock yourself out!! Heck, I will even give you a raffle ticket to do your own thing....Good luck. :)

Yep, you got it....proved that you ABSOLUTELY do not get it...but knock yourself out!! Heck, I will even give you a raffle ticket to do your own thing....Good luck. :)
I believe the kids say something to the affect of "YEET!"

Hoping I can make it for 2022! Ever since FJ summit X I've been dying to get back to the San Juans so I'll be out there regardless as well as Moab a bit earlier in the month :cool:. Been planning a post HS grad cross country trip for a while, HIH has always been the cornerstone of it!

20210627_183232.jpg

A late traveler to my mailbox today. Glass is intact!

Lay off the guy. He has no clue and let’s assume no ill intent.

@JOSHD - you make so many new friends. Meet so many cool folks. See so many amazing rigs. It’s an experience like no other. The camaraderie around the event, the stories, the trail leaders, the other n00bs, the experts, the breakdowns, the rain, the vendors, the family friendly vibe.... there’s a reason we set our alarms months in advance and buy WiFi on the plane (me!) for a chance to register. There’s a reason the event sells out in 3 minutes. There’s a reason I’m going fishing in Alaska the last week in July - it was my SECOND choice, only confirmed after HiHX.2 was canceled.

Really hope you are able to make it sometime. You’ll see.

We have zero reason to believe we won’t have a HIHX next year. We aren’t happy about the 2 year break, but it was really the appropriate thing to do, in our opinion. Hope to see you everyone again in 2022!
Our hundies are only getting better with age 😍

Any weather predictions for late July? I see afternoon thunderstorms forecast starting up around July 12.

Any weather predictions for late July? I see afternoon thunderstorms forecast starting up around July 12.

Last year, it seemed to rain in the afternoon daily. It’s my understanding that this is the typical weather pattern for the area this time of year.

Last year, it seemed to rain in the afternoon daily. It’s my understanding that this is the typical weather pattern for the area this time of year.

👍 Good to know and a likely reason for the trail groups to get out and go early.

Started packing already. I'm so ready to hit the road next week.

This might make life interesting:

US 550 Red Mountain Pass lengthy closures set for power line reconstruction​

July 16, 2021 - Utility project will impact travel for next few weeks​
SOUTHWEST COLORADO —Travelers will encounter lengthy road closures on US 550 Red Mountain Pass over the next few weeks to allow for electrical utility work. San Miguel Power Association is clearing timber in preparation for a power line reconstruction project. Work is taking place on the north side of the pass summit between the communities of Ouray and Silverton. The significant closures are required to allow for safe helicopter operations taking place above the highway. (see attached flyer for project details)​
Visit forest service websites or contact the Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre, Gunnison (GMUG) National Forests and the San Juan National Forest for information about potential closures of forest roads and trailheads on public lands.​

Travel Impacts​

Travelers will encounter two four-hour closures, weekdays in the mornings and afternoons. When departing Silverton, northbound the closure point will be located near Engineer Mountain Trail, MP 89.5. When departing Ouray, the southbound closure point will be just south of Ouray, MP 92. The highway will remain open overnight and on weekends. If travelers cannot reach the closure points before the set closure times, they may consider the western alternate route via CO highway 145 through Telluride. Motorists are urged to take it slow and watch for flagging personnel and other workers on the roadway.​

July 19 - 30 (open on weekends)​

• CLOSED 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
  • OPEN 12:30 to 1:30 p.m.
  • CLOSED 1:30 to 5:30 p.m.
  • OPEN nightly from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 a.m.

August 9 - 20 (open on weekends)​

• CLOSED 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
  • OPEN 12:30 to 1:30 p.m.
  • CLOSED 1:30 to 5:30 p.m.
  • OPEN nightly from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 a.m.

Stay Informed About this Utility Project​

I guess not having HIH this year was kind of a blessing then.

Anyway think we can work around the closures from Silverton up to Animas and fan out from there-

still lots of options to run trail 🤞

I guess not having HIH this year was kind of a blessing then.

Anyway think we can work around the closures from Silverton up to Animas and fan out from there-

still lots of options to run trail 🤞
Yeah. It looks like it will take a little more planning but should be fairly easy to work around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom