100 Series Hidden Winch Mount...another one (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'll update this later. I'm busy recovering from Hurricane Laura and preparing for Hurricane Delta.

I went with the Smittybilt X2O 10,000 lb winch. Good warranty (on paper) and water proof which is important in South Louisiana.
I bought the Harbor Freight Universal winch mount and called up a friend who owns a machine shop and was given some scrap steel to use.

For now it will be a ton of photos. I'll come back and add comments later.
Screenshot_20201007-013351.png
IMG_20201007_012750.jpg
IMG_20201004_211240.jpg
IMG_20201007_010929.jpg
IMG_20201005_095213.png

Beef, it’s what’s for dinner.

I assume you just got rid of the internal bumper structure? (the "bar" that bolts to the front of the frame horns, which are now covered)

Very neat!

I assume you just got rid of the internal bumper structure? (the "bar" that bolts to the front of the frame horns, which are now covered)

Yes. I may go back and add some points later for the bumper to attach, but it is very well attached right now.

The two boxes on the ends of the mount that were welded on?

I do not know the measurements. They're basically just big enough to fit around the ends of the frame. It would be fairly simple to measure the frame to get a rough idea of what they should be.

One photo I didn't upload was how we cut the mount so that the frame end caps would fit through so that the mount would fit flush up against the bottom side of the frame rails. The hole in the mount is just big enough for the end caps to fit through. The mount after we welded the boxes on had to be hammered on with a rubber mallet. It was a tight fit...and as heavy as it was it actually held itself in position without the jack or bolts....just by friction.

Anyone manage to tuck a winch up in the rear of the vehicle, where the spare tire used to mount? I suspect if someone had the fabrication skills it would be possible but idk.

Do winches require a secondary battery for power or could a running vehicle provide enough power with one battery?

Im out there wheeling solo often and a front mounted winch won't help me if / when I slip off the road and I'm nose first In the ditch.

Anyone manage to tuck a winch up in the rear of the vehicle, where the spare tire used to mount? I suspect if someone had the fabrication skills it would be possible but idk.

Do winches require a secondary battery for power or could a running vehicle provide enough power with one battery?

Im out there wheeling solo often and a front mounted winch won't help me if / when I slip off the road and I'm nose first In the ditch.
You can absolutely run a winch on the main battery. In fact, many of us chose to run the winch with primary battery even when our trucks have a secondary battery.

My only winch currently is a hitch mounted winch using big jumper cables to run it off my single battery.

Need to figure out if I can weld a winch mount on the front in the bumper or something.

Last edited:
If rear winch to front battery, given the distance, you'll want extra large cables and fuse/breaker protection.

If rear winch to front battery, given the distance, you'll want extra large cables and fuse/breaker protection.

1/0 cable minimum for a run to the rear at a minimum IMO.

John.jpg
2005 a.jpg
2005.jpg
LX470 2.jpg
100 HWM Custom 7.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom