July Event: ONSC Dan River Paddle trip 2021 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jfz80

Cruisin’
Threads
I have told Brian and Steve i'd post up and have meant to for last couple weeks and hadnt made the time to it so my apologies to all.
I have been eyeballing put ins but have not had a chance to get in the water this year until last weekend. 105 CFM is LOW
This trip is best suited to kayaks but canoe is doable. You will touch bottom and may incur some river tatoos on the boat if pinstripes are a concern.
Im looking at 5-6 mile floats that should take 4 hours on the water time with a stop along the way for snacks or a dip in the water. cookout optional afterward
We could consider a longer 10-12 mile section if the interest was great enough.

FCD034C5-B665-44C3-8F7F-33DA67361E41.jpeg

When: 9:00 AM Saturday 7/24/21 week and a half from today
What: Paddle trip down the Dan River stokes/rockingham county
Where: actual water stretch to be determined as July does not offer a lot of water to float here typcally
Why: why not? and its hot out there

Who:
In:
Jfz- 1 Paddler 1 boat
JamesUrq- 1 Paddler 1 boat
Keefer- 3 paddlers 3 boats

Maybes:
Lil Joe 1 boat
Fj40z- 1 boat

Post up if interested and what type of boat and/or ability to transport multiples to the put in or take out spots. Feel free to cast your vote for longer vs shorter trip. Remember there is travel time to and from the river as well. ~1 hr total

3D4F34EE-D5D4-4656-9419-6C99112C0C3F.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m in. I can bring something to tow the trailer.
I vote for a medium or shorter length since we don’t know the capabilities/speed of the group

Ooh~ that sounds like fun! I haven't gotten to use my kayak in a while. Think a 14ft PakAyaK would be suitable for the trip?

Be sure to stop and get out for any dams. Sounds fun, alas I am not a kyak'r :(

Let me see if I can swing this - assume my 12 ft yak would be ok? It's already scraped to hell so a few more won't bother me. Where will you be meeting up, and is there camping nearby?

We can meet at my house and then drop cars and mobilize to put in spot. I’ll send an address to the folks that commit. But basically Madison NC 27025.

Ooh~ that sounds like fun! I haven't gotten to use my kayak in a while. Think a 14ft PakAyaK would be suitable for the trip?

At coal miner classic with poor signal. Is this inflatable ? If so a maybe. If hard shell you should be fine.

I’m on a borrowed 14’ sit on top.
James runs a 12’.
Big guy in a 9 footer may have a few issues.

We can meet at my house and then drop cars and mobilize to put in spot. I’ll send an address to the folks that commit. But basically Madison NC 27025.

At coal miner classic with poor signal. Is this inflatable ? If so a maybe. If hard shell you should be fine.

James runs a 12’.
The PakAyaK are made of the same materials as regular kayaks, they just pack away like Russian nesting dolls.

Let me see if I can swing this - assume my 12 ft yak would be ok? It's already scraped to hell so a few more won't bother me. Where will you be meeting up, and is there camping nearby?

@little_joe or others that may be interested, there are a couple private campgrounds in the vicinity but most are booked almost a year in advance. With that said my house is down in the woods with a relatively flat gravel parking area off the garage with enough parking for around 4 trucks. No other houses around and has a fire pit with all the wood you could want so if you or anyone else that plans on coming wants to set up here please feel welcome. It’s nothing fancy or overly nice but just wanted to give the option to anyone that may want to.

7671AF55-E4E6-4FD4-9FF2-5093BFE8A094.jpeg

Took a canoe for a short float in the river this evening. Outside of flipping the canoe 200 yards from the put in, loosing one croc and my Relic Run hat it was great!

Last edited:
Took a canoe for a short float in the river this evening. Outside of flipping the canoe 200 yards from the put in, loosing one croc and my Relic Run hat it was great!
I flipped my kayak bad in the Atlantic at Fort Fisher this past weekend. Lost my Oakleys and almost lost my boat! However, with the combination of a life vest and lots of rum, I had enough courage to swim my ass a couple hundred yards out, grab my boat and swim back in. 🤣

Of course 3/4 of the Keefer family is in! Heather , Ella, and I are in. I've also got a trailer and kayak racks to facilitate the shuttle of 'yaks.

James runs a 12’.
You gonna be up the creek if that person wants their boat back. LOL

Hey I didn’t borrow it. It was just returned to me :D

Water level is not looking too good. Was hoping to move upstream and end at hanging rock for a picnic style dinner and stop at the local watering hole. Thinking we better keep it closer to town where there is more water.

Last edited:
Looks like Melissa and I are out. Thought we were going to be able to get her furniture moved this weekend but it looks like it will have to be next weekend. Hate it we will miss it.

Darn, looks like I'm out as well. Gotta get some work done on the house this weekend...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom