Hold on to your 100 series, fellas, don't make the same mistake I did. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have we had many report of front diffs in 100s going after installing a locker? I vaguely remember that was one of the selling points when I did mine.
Not to my knowledge. That's the first thing I would do after armoring a 100. Not really for capability but more for the added strength.

Ah, makes sense. Thanks.

Have we had many report of front diffs in 100s going after installing a locker? I vaguely remember that was one of the selling points when I did mine.
Yes it can still break. ANYTHING can snap at any point.

Jumping in with my 2 cents worth, for what it’s worth. I’ve owned five (5) LC’s over the years. 1- 1983 FJ40, 2- 1988 FJ62’s, 1- 1989, and 1- 1991.
I now drive a classic silver/gray interior, loaded 2007 LX and DW drives a 2015 LX, white with linen interior, both acquired from original owners with low miles, stock and in awesome condition. I waited patiently to find these. They drive so sweet, comfort level is incredible, nothing like the LC’s, Denai’s, suburban’s, BMW’s or MB’s we’ve had over the years, and those were newer too. The LX is the perfect length and width, an extremely well balanced machine just as they sit. It has crossed my mind a time or two to sell the ’07, but that thought gets quickly dismissed, once I’ve come back to reality after seeing other options. Been there, done that. I sometimes think I need a truck, to haul junk and yard debris to the landfill, pick up a 2x4, mulch, etc. My conclusion so far has been, don’t do anything that requires a PU! Or, borrow my bud’s, let them pay for ownig an empty bed. LOL!

Seriously though, I love the way my LX’s drive, and I can not imagine doing without one, or two. And, with less than 3000 2007’s sold in the US, and less than 4000 2015’s, despite a few quirks (’07 sound system sucks!), the rarity of these two models alone makes driving them very enjoyable, on any given dayView attachment 2718999View attachment 2719006!
FWIW I used this 2000-2009 Lexus LX470 Mark Levinson COMPLETE System Speaker Repair Kit FSK-LX470 - https://www.simplyspeakers.com/2000-2009-lexus-lx4700-speaker-foam-edge-repair-kit-fsk-lx470.html and refreshed my 05's speakers and it made a HUGE difference. When I took off the door panels they didn't have any surround left at all somehow which shocked me because it didn't sound THAT bad.

When you climb under both, the 200 is definitely more heavy duty, frame and all. I'd rather drive the 100, but when towing, the 200 is in a different league. Road trips feel about the same drivewise, they're both very comfortable and gobble miles [ and gas ], but the 200 can get out of it's own way, very fast, for such a heavy vehicle. The 5.7 is a beast. The 100 is the little engine that could.

Screenshot_20210710-132400_Gallery.jpg

I've been debating selling my 100 for a long time... the 80 is just so much more capable, and the difference in power isn't considerable enough to really make it worth the torsion bars.... personally I think the 100's ride like garbage when they are lifted, doesn't seem to matter what shocks or springs you go with.
I'd rather have a truck that won't need a head gasket/engine rebuild as regular maintenance

I'd rather have a truck that won't need a head gasket/engine rebuild as regular maintenance

if that’s what you need to tell yourself to justify the 100 that’s fine. My 80’s at 250k miles no rebuild… one head gasket to replace the faulty OEM that came from the factory. Nothing “regular” about that in my book.

if that’s what you need to tell yourself to justify the 100 that’s fine. My 80’s at 250k miles no rebuild… one head gasket to replace the faulty OEM that came from the factory. Nothing “regular” about that in my book.
Ha, lucky. I can count well into the double digits how many 1FZs I've replaced, so yeah. In 20 years of Toyota automotive repair I've never needed to pull a 2UZ or even do a head gasket.

Ha, lucky. I can count well into the double digits how many 1FZs I've replaced, so yeah. In 20 years of Toyota automotive repair I've never needed to pull a 2UZ or even do a head gasket.
There’s no argument from me that the 2UZ is better than the 1FZ, but to say rebuilds and head gasket replacements are “regular maintenance” is a bit dramatic. Weak point? Yes. Deal breaker? Not to me.

i could say 100’s like to blow up front diffs and break LCA’s at the tbar mount…they rely on a plastic T for cooling…. And the thing is a rolling clunk machine… but i’ve never had any of that stuff happen on my 100.

offroad, where I want to use my rig, my 80 runs circles around my 100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom