Builds Pigpen 🐷 an HDJ80 LHD Ute (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Which turbo do you have for it and why did you choose that one?

It is a Wink 4x4 turbo that was on an FTE. I don’t really know what kind of boost it puts out or any of that, I think Wink 4x4 is maybe a Belgium company? @joekatana imported it. I am using it because I believe it to be good and it didn’t cost me $2500. It’s a better option than rebuilding the stock turbo.

Cheers

I wish these were in better shape, I so dig the 1990’s retro non-USA cloth.

7FE2DE65-4B8C-4B1E-8048-BD776A19E21B.jpeg
41172A39-1C11-4DAE-BF2F-4204FC49022B.jpeg
C96DF852-E49E-49EE-885E-38451CD13D7B.jpeg

4483360F-ED44-487C-9A08-78F84C5DB58F.jpeg

The drivers is just to hammered though and I know I will never find a match on that seat bottom cover. Not to mention the big cig burn hole in the passenger. The rear tumbler seat I decided today we will put some casters on it and make it a dedicated shop couch. I am sitting in the passenger front while I type this. 😌

Like mentioned earlier in the thread I got my hands on some 79-series pickup seats, cloth from a 2018. Its a 3/4 bench and I have measured and they will fit. I will have to custom make a console if I want one but I seriously like a 3/4 bench in a Ute and they being Land Cruiser and new 79-series take offs make it that much cooler. 😎

Cheers

It is a Wink 4x4 turbo that was on an FTE. I don’t really know what kind of boost it puts out or any of that, I think Wink 4x4 is maybe a Belgium company? @joekatana imported it. I am using it because I believe it to be good and it didn’t cost me $2500. It’s a better option than rebuilding the stock turbo.

Cheers
They are from the Netherlands. I heard positive feedback about their turbos here in the EU, also pricewise its a big difference that we dont have to pay all the import duties on the wink4x4 ones, +30% to the end price can hurt when it comes from Australia.
Looking forward for the engine to be back together and get your opinion about the turbo with the intercooler! Are you installing a PDI one? Any experience with the allisport ones?
1625800822770.png

They are from the Netherlands. I heard positive feedback about their turbos here in the EU, also pricewise its a big difference that we dont have to pay all the import duties on the wink4x4 ones, +30% to the end price can hurt when it comes from Australia.
Looking forward for the engine to be back together and get your opinion about the turbo with the intercooler! Are you installing a PDI one? Any experience with the allisport ones?
View attachment 2725910

Good to hear on the turbo. 😁

Zero experience with that intercooler. PDI, yes lot’s of experience including them custom building IC and radiator 13yrs ago. It wasn't cheap even back then. 😬

I also have experience with HPD in Australia for diesel Cruisers. We have a build going in the shop that is using a Plazmaman (Aussie) WtA intercooler, we went with this because it is in a 45-series and there is zero room for a front mount amd cutting the hood for a top mount is not an option. So ya, I am an intercooler kind of guy, I recommend them even in a stock boost-turbo build.

I used to have a Patrol that had x2 intercoolers, large PDI front mount and factory 3L-TD top mount. We tested in for drops in temps across both, excellent results. Front mount had a pusher fan for when the going was slow, on both a thermo switch and toggle switch. Top mount had fan on thermo switch.

We have done a lot with the 1HDFT and FTE as well as past jobs-experience with the 1HDT. I know what it will cost me and I am trying to aim for middle of the road expense wise. It costs us a lot too here in the USA to buy Aussie but they sure make the goodies for the diesels. 😆

A fair amount on this build may be “in-house” one off’s simply to keep cost down and also this Cruiser-build is a shop truck meant to show-case our work kind of build. 😉

Thanks for following along and for your input-comments.

Cheers

EGR is getting deleted.

I have to agree on this, I really believe the engineers were told by the regulators in the 90s to whip this up in order to get the trucks to pass emissions... at the expense of the true life and potential of the engine. But what do I know :meh:

I was in the shop until 9pm tonight. At the end of the day I was looking over the FT. Now I have seen plenty of crusty 50yr old engines but I don’t think I have ever seen one this crusty at 26yrs old.

You can’t even see the timing marks on the harmonic balancer.

538F2EB2-14BF-4335-8BD7-58FEA05F9A66.jpeg
EB7C5FE5-F50D-4003-88D3-E0E359FD775A.jpeg

The vacuum pump

707A6E0A-C642-4E0D-997B-FB2219C49B5C.jpeg

The power steering pump

46AB3C2F-A05D-4CC9-BE0D-F9A4D73CB715.jpeg

Under the alternator

B29416E6-E612-479C-83A9-3E1F5F83FA03.jpeg

Cheers

Last edited:
RHS of engine at turbo oil dump line to oil pan.

D0634953-ACB7-425C-A727-B631C92A5AC1.jpeg

I mean wow, really!? 😳😳

This is not a year worth of funk or even five years. This is decades of funk. These were not cheap Cruisers by any means anywhere in Europe. $50-60k easy. We will never know but I wonder when somebody said “f#ck it” I am never cleaning this Cruiser again?? 😬😂😖

I have always had a hard time understanding why people let their vehicles get like this. I have worked on a farm, I have owned plenty of work trucks or as we call them “crummies” but none of them ever looked like this. Not to mention they were always some way old junk truck that cost like $1000. Again, this was a $50-60+k Cruiser only 26yrs ago.

I guess on the bright side, this funk is going to come off in big huge chunks!! 😬😂

Cheers

I wish these were in better shape, I so dig the 1990’s retro non-USA cloth.

Seems like you have another plan already in place, but you could probably save those front seats if you were willing to sacrifice the back seat. A competent auto upholsterer could scavenge enough fabric off the rear to repair the fronts. I had this done once, and it turned out perfect.

Seems like you have another plan already in place, but you could probably save those front seats if you were willing to sacrifice the back seat. A competent auto upholsterer could scavenge enough fabric off the rear to repair the fronts. I had this done once, and it turned out perfect.

And the matching door cards that are completely wasted? 🙄

It is probably getting most of the interior from a donor with brown interior because it is in far better condition. And currently the plan is these seats.

6FADF869-D9B3-4372-86DA-167BD2948CE6.jpeg

Cheers

Also core support is cracked on LHS, thankful I have a good one.

54AD69E5-B5FD-4FF1-9043-EA96B7F9A620.jpeg

Is this twine or animal hair? 😳😬🤷🏼‍♂️

A982C870-C489-479D-B22A-3C14AD204A30.jpeg

A34B5F4A-6A31-4651-954E-E7C9051B8C4A.jpeg

Don’t mind the frame rail packed solid with euro topsoil. 😳🙄

Cheers

How did that come through customs?

Exactly!? 🤷🏼‍♂️

And at third glance I thought it may be roots of an invasive species trying to grow so I pulled on it and it seems it is simply twine, or horse hair!

I feel like it is a bit of a :deadhorse:
and I am trying to move on. Until all the funk is gone though, it will be a thorn in my side.

Cheers

You've definitely got some work ahead cleaning it up and assessing it!

Almost looks like it would be worth submerging it in an improvised tank of some sort to soak the frame in for a couple of weeks. Then pressure wash it

Skip bin lined with builders plastic
View attachment 2728561

You ever heard of molasses used to kill rust? Something about the type of sugar in molasses, I first heard about it nearly 15yrs ago. Plenty of videos out there on it.

Maybe I will make a home made tank and soak the frame, I am also considering tossing the rear half where I chop it for the stretch. Already located frames locally. Only reason to not completely swap out the frame for a clean west coaster is vin# hassle.

Cheers

You ever heard of molasses used to kill rust? Something about the type of sugar in molasses, I first heard about it nearly 15yrs ago. Plenty of videos out there on it.

Maybe I will make a home made tank and soak the frame, I am also considering tossing the rear half where I chop it for the stretch. Already located frames locally. Only reason to not completely swap out the frame for a clean west coaster is vin# hassle.

Cheers
Yep, apparently that works well. It's very corrosive to coatings on steel etc, in my day job we work in sugar mills etc regularly. Seems to clean steel nicely 😉

Yep, apparently that works well. It's very corrosive to coatings on steel etc, in my day job we work in sugar mills etc regularly. Seems to clean steel nicely 😉

And its just sugar so environmentally friendly. I am no hippie but if I have a choice I am going to use a more natural and environmentally friendly product.

🌍

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom