SOLD Georgetown (Austin) TX-1994 KZJ71G Prado--This go-anywhere diesel Land Cruiser Prado is ready for adventure! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 70 Series
Mileage
Color
rgb(223, 220, 220)
KZJ71G "KITSU" $24,500
Refreshed, running great and set up for overland and adventure travel. We named it Kitsu, short for Fox (Kitsune) in Japanese, it’s easy and fun to drive. Imported in 2020 from Japan, it is in excellent condition and currently titled and registered in Texas. We have carefully added just the right equipment to ensure lots of miles and smiles.

All modifications were designed so Kitsu can be returned to it’s original configuration in the future if desired. Kitsu gets between 22-25 mpg fully loaded. Parts are easily obtained through several vendors in the US and abroad. I built it up for personal use, but our situation has changed and I need to find Kitsu a new home.

Model: KZJ71G
(Translation: KZ-engine; J-Land Cruiser; 71-Light Duty/Short Wheelbase/hard top; G-3 door)
  • Right hand drive
  • 225449 kilometers/ 140087 miles (speedometer and odometer are in metric)
  • 1KZ-TE engine (3 liter; turbocharged diesel; electronic fuel injection; 130 HP; 213 ft/lb torque)
  • 5 speed manual transmission
  • 2 speed part time 4WD transfer case
  • Manual front hub conversion
  • 16” aluminum Toyota wheels
  • Color: Silver (Toyota 181-Bluish Silver Metallic) (fresh respray prior to import)
  • Wheelbase: 91”
  • Length: 155”
  • Width: 65 ½”
  • Height: 78” with rack
  • Curb Weight: 3750 lbs (factory spec)
  • Fuel capacity: 24.1 gallons

The build thread for Kitsu is here: Builds - Kitsu-KZJ71 Project - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/kitsu-kzj71-project.1240897/

Caution: Be prepared to receive extra attention and likes wherever you go!

P1010353.JPG
P1010416.JPG
P1010435.JPG
P1010360.JPG

Last edited:
Great listing and what a For Sale ad should look like- all the pertinent information and photos included. Awesome looking truck with appropriate upgrades, and nice, functional build out in the back. I've enjoyed your build thread and really like what you have done with Kitsu. No luck needed, but GLWS. Some one is going to get a great truck at a great price.
I agree. This is a gorgeous rig at a great price.

Wow! Now THAT is how a for sale listing should look! Beautiful rig, I love what you've done with her. Sorry you've gotta sell but someone will get an awesome setup. GLWS, you won't need it!

I know this truck and the seller. You wouldn't find a better combo. This was done right with incredible detail. What a great price too!

To answer some questions I've received regarding Kitsu:
  1. Why? I am selling Kitsu due to some changes in my family situation. I have become the primary caregiver for my elderly mom and cannot get out on trips like I've done for years, and planned to do. Kitsu was built to be my long range adventure vehicle and I don't want it to sit unused for the foreseeable future.
  2. If you add up just the new parts/accessories you will see there is no profit in my asking price. I want it to go to someone who will enjoy it.
  3. I would estimate highway range to be 550-600 miles. I find that while I can drive at 75mph, Kitsu is best at 65-70mph.
  4. The timing belt was changed in Japan, so I don't have a date. It was well within the recommended mileage and the sticker is in place showing mileage.
  5. The paint is an original Toyota color (181). It is a respray that was completed before import. There is evidence of overspray in some spots, but overall a reasonable paint job.
  6. I have left the fender wells as I found them, rather than respraying underbody coating. If I were to keep Kitsu I would have applied a new coat, but wanted a buyer to see there was no rust lurking underneath.
  7. The rear window gaskets are still watertight. They are just showing signs of age. I have a pair of replacements included in the sale, but wouldn't say it was critical to replace them in the near future.
  8. I have two keys for Kitsu. One is an original Toyota and I was able to get another made locally. The pattern matches the 80's Toyota truck/4 Runner.
  9. I have noticed no leaks from engine, transmission, transfer or differentials. The only residual evidence of a leak is from the power steering pump which I've rebuilt. No leaks since then.
  10. How does Kitsu drive? I have owned two FJ40s, an FJ55, an FZJ80, and have driven dozens of other Jeeps, Land Cruisers, Land Rovers, 4Runners, Prados, Surfs and Hiluxes. I would describe Kitsu as a modern FJ40 for agility and maneuverability; the coil springs are so much more comfortable than leaf; far more comfortable of a ride than a 40 or even modern Jeep; more like a mid 90s 4Runner or Hilux as far as handling and ride (makes sense since it is a 1994); an 80 or 100 as far as cabin comfort. The turbo diesel has good acceleration and Kitsu brakes strong and straight. I can manage steering with two fingers on the freeway. I have insulated with butyl/foil and foam so you can carry on a conversation and phone call at highway speeds (not even possible in the 80). More headroom than my 80. Plenty of legroom (especially since I extended the seat slider on the driver's side).
  11. Right hand drive? Not difficult at all to learn/drive. The only issue I've had is turning on the wipers instead of indicators at every turn. The little mirror on the fender is awesome for determining where you are in the traffic lane.
  12. The turbo timer was a Japanese owner addition, not mine. Not really necessary for everyday use but allows the engine to continue to run to cool down after you shut of ignition switch and remove key.
  13. In order to remove the kitchen/storage box, there are two bolts into the chassis (seat mounting bolts). Remove them and the entire unit will slide out.
  14. The Dakota LiFeP04 batteries provide a total of 46 amp hours of power. I have tested them with the fridge and they have run for three days before going flat. The awesome benefit of lithium batteries is you can use almost 100% of the battery capacity (compared to 50% or so for lead acid) and they will recharge 3 times faster than lead acid. And they will last for 10 years or so. And they only weigh about 14 pounds.
  15. The charger provides necessary voltage and amperage from the alternator/starting battery to quickly recharge and maintain charge. It can be monitored/controlled via your phone and a bluetooth connection.
  16. If I kept Kitsu what would I do next? I had plans for an intercooler, a cruise control, and rock sliders, nothing critical. I would have installed an awning on the rack-and sprayed underbody coating in fender wells.
  17. The roof rack weighs about 50-60 pounds. I've seen photos of roof top tents on 70s. Personally I would limit load on the roof to 150 pounds total.
  18. Storage space and carrying capacity? I have loaded all of my camping, tools, recovery and personal gear along with food, water and propane onboard. Plenty of space for two people for extended travel. I've got straps and space for 3-5 gallon water cans. The new OME springs are perfect, especially with load in the back.
  19. The center console locks. The top is padded and good height for resting your arm.
  20. I do not have import paperwork. I do have a clean Texas title. There were no issues with title and registration.
  21. Poppy, our canine companion and model in some of the photos, is a Black Mouth Cur. She is not part of the deal :)
Happy to answer more questions, let me know!
Cheers,
Greg

Was a compression test done to make sure the head isn’t cracked? 1KZ engine family is known for this issue.

Was a compression test done to make sure the head isn’t cracked? 1KZ engine family is known for this issue.
I have not had a test done. There are no symptoms of a cracked head. Good power, low running temperatures, no white smoke, no oily residue or bubbles in coolant, no overpressure in radiator. The research I did prior to acquiring Kitsu also indicated the majority of 1KZTE head/head gasket failures are/were on automatic transmission equipped vehicles.

Last edited:
I've had some great interest and great inquiries, but Kitsu is still available. A few more questions answered:
1. The wheelbase is 91" which matches the original FJ40 wheelbase.
2. The catch can was installed to keep recirculated oil vapor out of the turbo and air intake, especially when installing an intercooler. There was no evidence of gross oil contamination in the air intake or turbo, just a preventative measure.
3. The only rust I've found was about a 6" strip under the drivers door. It was not significant, but has been removed and the area repainted. There is no evidence of rust underneath the paint, on the chassis or anywhere else.
4. The amber/white side lights are wired independently: the white are switched at the center console; the amber from the rear cargo area. The intent is to use the white lights as necessary while driving, setting up, etc. and the amber as insect resistant camp lighting.
5. The Midland GMRS radio is installed under the center console. All the controls and speaker/mic are in the handheld microphone. The GMRS frequencies do not require a long CB like antenna and can transmit through glass, hence a short antenna on the front. I've had radio conversations up to 10 miles away with the GMRS. I use a small handheld GMRS radio for the spotter to speak with the driver when traversing rough stuff.
6. The KZTE is a very well known engine in Australia and outside the US. It was produced from 1993-2000 and used in Prados, Surfs (4Runners), Hiluxes, and HiAce minivans. Parts for the engine (and the rest of Kitsu) are available through some very reputable distributors in Japan and UAE. Parts from UAE

Cheers,
Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom