Wits' End 80 Series Useless Cubby Insert-base (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Whats behind those two blanks on the right?
Wiring, air ducts. BUT those aren't blanks, they would require cutting out those pieces.

Wiring, air ducts. BUT those aren't blanks, they would require cutting out those pieces.

wait, those are molded pieces of the dash??!?! thats lame

I need to know if there is some place to bolt an insert into. If there is nothing to attach to behind there its a lost cause.

I will try the Ashtray on the 95-97 first to verify I can make something. Then I'll but one of you guys with the ugly dash to help me out with an ashtray.

Just bought one a week or so ago, along with a 1/4in RAM ball and a 2-inch adapter (probably will change out to a 3" so my phone is closer), along with this phone mount. This setup is the tits. It's by far the most solid phone mount solution I've used, and I've tried plenty. Pricey for just a phone mount setup, but the expandability and rigidness of the cubby insert is well worth the money.

I would also feel totally confident about adding an additional ball/adapter and run one of these once I get a tablet.

Great setup!

Did you get the flat insert or did you add an angled one on to get it set up right? Can you post a pic or two?

Thanks

Great setup!

Did you get the flat insert or did you add an angled one on to get it set up right? Can you post a pic or two?

Thanks

Just the flat insert for now. Don't use the RAM ball I linked, the threads are too short and will eventually come loose, even with some loctite. Use this one instead. I've got all 3 inserts populated with 3 of these, and 2 are now used, 1 for the phone mount, and one for the matching tablet mount, and used this double arm extension to space it away. There might be a little more vibration than I would like, but for the convenience and aesthetics (and me not having to drill into my center console), definitely worth it.

Bumping this thread to see if @NLXTACY has come up with a slick solution for the ashtray yet...or the blank 'molded area' on the dash. Maybe I'll pull mine off to see if there are any mounting holes behind (1994 FZJ here).

While scouring for a good phone mounting location, I pulled out the ashtray and immediately went to the Wits' End website hoping to find a solution similar to the 'useless cubby insert'. Back to the drawing board for this long road trip and phone mounting solutions. 😭

Bumping this thread to see if @NLXTACY has come up with a slick solution for the ashtray yet...or the blank 'molded area' on the dash. Maybe I'll pull mine off to see if there are any mounting holes behind (1994 FZJ here).

While scouring for a good phone mounting location, I pulled out the ashtray and immediately went to the Wits' End website hoping to find a solution similar to the 'useless cubby insert'. Back to the drawing board for this long road trip and phone mounting solutions. 😭
Wits’ End has a ‘95-‘97 SwitchPro mount for the ashtray. The mount is well thought out, high quality, with a clean look. The mount is rock solid without any movement or vibration. Another top notch Wits’ End product and happy customer.
Excuse the interior in mid-project mode, but here’s a couple pics.
BE71D240-4B7F-42D1-8E6E-D5CE99D824BC.jpeg

910A29A9-B085-4C16-B7D9-D11D931BCD80.jpeg

0B915120-4862-4354-9AEB-F0302427942F.jpeg

Last edited:
I find it hilariously awesome that you’re still running the oem radio. 🤣
Hahaha... The stock radio is actually doing a pretty good job. My budget went towards bumpers, axles, and gears, but I was able to upgrade to Focal 165AC speakers in the doors, which the stock LX450 amp has enough power to drive. I use a Bluetooth FM radio adapter to play my music from my phone. Works and sounds pretty good. Sometime wish I had tweeters near the A pillar, but this works for now.

Last edited:
wait, those are molded pieces of the dash??!?! thats lame

I need to know if there is some place to bolt an insert into. If there is nothing to attach to behind there its a lost cause.
Sooo the useless cubby insert base I just ordered for my 93 fzj won't work with this? 🤦🏽‍♂️

anyone got a useless cubby insert for sale.. Wits end has been out for some time. doesnt seem like they are coming back anytime soon.. any alternative solutions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom