What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (31 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Box Rocket Do you typically drive around in "PWR" mode? I've always wondered when/how often people used this (also curious with O/D Off).
I drive with it in PWR mode 100% of the time.

I'm also a WOT type of person and I don't drive the speed limit, typically.

It's just to adjust shift points so it holds a gear a little longer before it shifts.

I drive with it in PWR mode 100% of the time.

I'm also a WOT type of person and I don't drive the speed limit, typically.

It's just to adjust shift points so it holds a gear a little longer before it shifts.

Haha, who needs a turbo or supercharger on their 80?

Just turn the AC off and hit the power button. Turning the AC off is at least an xtra 20 HP....

Great tires I am a huge fan of the wildpeak
Me too...that's what I run. When I first got them they were not very well known and the price was way lower compared with BFG et al but now I am thinking to go to 35s and the KM2s are actually cheaper and a bit lighter but tread depth is lacking and my Falkens still have so much life on them. Not sure what I will go for next. I need them to be 'snowflake' rated.

Finally threw on some bigger tires, don’t know how I feel tho.. 33x10.5x15

6971E5DC-F65A-4A0B-B40C-FEC391043A02.jpeg

As much as I love driving the 80 i'll take my v8 4th gen 4runner over it anytime for daily driving or trips
Ya, we have a 2007 4runner (4.7) and its the go to with the kids, but my 80 is more of a wheeler (see specs below) than a DD.

Having said that, and having owned a 60 series, in terms of mods most of us go with lifts and bumpers right away, in hindsight more comfortable seats with a more supple suspension, then sound deadening would probably be the first mods if I bought another 80.

Especially with the leaf sprung 60, bouncing down potholed roads for hours for camping or wheeling wears a guy out, making that part of things more comfortable is something you will enjoy the benefit from much more than a cool new bumper, long highway trips are kind of the same, you get tired of listening to a loud motor and mud tires.

Throw a LS motor, maybe a 5.3 or something in your 80, new seats and some creature comforts and then see if you take the 4runner for road trips as much.

Hey, for those of you who removed your fender flares. Did you just drilled out the rivets that hold the couple brackets to the door?
94 if that makes a difference

Hey, for those of you who removed your fender flares. Did you just drilled out the rivets that hold the couple brackets to the door?
94 if that makes a difference
Yep. Then had to buy the rivets and a puller when I put them back on.

Well spent most of the past month of weekends getting this done…
Killmat floor and doors
Powered sub install in factory location
New OEM carpet
Front/Rear cameras
New OEM window runs, belt mouldings/squeege New bulbs in dash (now “D” light and PWR), floor shifter, cig and glove box lights.
New OEM seat cushions
LCH full leather seats (pro install) with seat heaters
OEM seat heater switches
Knuckle/axle rebuild (cruiser outfitters)
OEM spindles and rotors
EBC brake pads
Front Eaton e-locker (Zuk install)
Now completed locker trifecta!

Daily drove it to visit a friend.

23 miles of up hill interstate driving for a total of 3000ft elevation gain in 116F degree temps.

20210709_194224.jpg

I figure this will make somebody uncomfortable lol.

The funny thing is every part of the cooling system on this rig has been replaced with new OEM parts in the last 3 years and the coolant is toyota red and less than a year old. It even has a land tank fan clutch.

The rig ran anywhere from 200 to 220 the entire trip but never went over 220, and the AC never turned off automaticlly. Although I did turn it off for a few of the long uphill stretches. Also the OEM temp gauge never budged from the halfway mark.

Moral of the story, if your temps are hitting 205 - 210 than don't stress out unless
your cooling system is 10+ years old.

Daily drove it to visit a friend.

23 miles of up hill interstate driving for a total of 3000ft elevation gain in 116F degree temps.

View attachment 2726835

I figure this will make somebody uncomfortable lol.

The funny thing is every part of the cooling system on this rig has been replaced with new OEM parts in the last 3 years and the coolant is toyota red and less than a year old. It even has a land tank fan clutch.

The rig ran anywhere from 200 to 220 the entire trip but never went over 220, and the AC never turned off automaticlly. Although I did turn it off for a few of the long uphill stretches. Also the OEM temp gauge never budged from the halfway mark.

Moral of the story, if your temps are hitting 205 - 210 than don't stress out unless
your cooling system is 10+ years old.
😰
I am at 210deg with outside temp at 108 here in the tri-valley area today.
-New OEM water pump
-New thermostat
-New belts
-But an aftermarket aluminum radiator.
-New Blue fan clutch
Im about to replace the new aftermarket radiator with an OEM radiator 16400-66040 to see if that could improve the high reading. Never seen that high before replacing all the items listed above, then again I just installed a scan-gauge for OBD1 from toyobd1.

Screenshot_20210709-144718.png

😰
I am at 210deg with outside temp at 108 here in the tri-valley area today.
-New OEM water pump
-New thermostat
-New belts
-But an aftermarket aluminum radiator.
-New Blue fan clutch
Im about to replace the new aftermarket radiator with an OEM radiator 16400-66040 to see if that could improve the high reading. Never seen that high before replacing all the items listed above, then again I just installed a scan-gauge for OBD1 from toyobd1.

View attachment 2726842
Your temps are right in range for 108F. Don't sweat it..... No pun intended lol

The scan gauge is a curse. Wished I never came across one. Now I fine myself obsessed observing at the ECT readings while driving!
I seem to be obsessed with the average gas mileage which is never better than 10.5 miles per gallon. Guess I shouldn't be surprised, I have a lot of heavy gear on and in my rig.

Your temps are right in range for 108F. Don't sweat it..... No pun intended lol

Yeah my truck will also cruise in the 200s when it's 105-110° outside. That heatsoak is real.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom