Goose Gear 80 Series Engine Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Useless comment here (not just here🤔? lol) but I too have been noodling between V8 or stock swap for a while. And while the V8 may be more exciting, the I6 will garner more potential shoppers imo, regardless of any intent to sell.
I feel it's the interface of the V8 to the rest of the truck that seems to be the weakest link.
For example, I want all the Toyo dash lights to remain useful and relevant, without an added box here or an additional wire harness there. Some of the hack jobs I've seen (not yours @EricG lol) to make that happen just seem a bridge too far for the average guy. (unless there's a turn-key kit somewhere now?)

Could be wrong of course, and a V8 certainly is a selling point for those who have done it. But it's hard to imagine having one foot in SAE and the rest of your body in metric. Just too much diversity. (yeah that's a real thing)
Seems a turbo or S/C on the I6 to attain similar, reliable V8 power (albeit @twice the cost eh) makes more long term sense. Could be wrong here too. Still weighing pros/cons...

Staying tuned to your journey👍
On the SAE vs Metric - modern GM engines including the LS/4L60 combos are all metric. I didn't come across anything SAE.

Edit - oops, I see that's already been covered.

Also, all of my stock gauges & indicator lights work with the exception of the transmission temperature warning light. Which could probably be figured out also. But yea, it's alot of wiring and took a Dakota digital box for the gear shift indicator.

The headbolts arrived today I'm happy to report.

IMG_1138.jpeg

Nice call on the mounts. I have seen many times the regret people have after rebuilding and putting the original mounts back in.

Welcome to the club.

Get new cams and all valve related parts and you have yourself a new long block.

Cheers
Thank you! My $3,700 Cruiser? Good thing I didn't know what I was getting into. 2 1/2 years later and about $50,000 later and there is still no end in sight.... 😯 At this point I don't have the money for a stick of gum.

Nice call on the mounts. I have seen many times the regret people have after rebuilding and putting the original mounts back in.
Thank you. I have to give credit to Joey (@NLXTACY). I asked him what I should get and he suggested these, along with the PHH. He is always kind enough to answer my questions when I ask. I'm smart enough to know what I don't know.

Thank you! My $3,700 Cruiser? Good thing I didn't know what I was getting into. 2 1/2 years later and about $50,000 later and there is still no end in sight.... 😯 At this point I don't have the money for a stick of gum.

No welcome to the club of new long blocks. Not many go as far as to buy a new bare head. Even fewer load it up with fresh new parts. 😉

Cheers

Don’t forget your oil orifice. 11400-66041 does not come with it installed.

Or any of the dowels. Or the block water drain fitting....

and on and on and on! 😉

Taking notes with a fresh bag of popcorn. Sub’d

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom