What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (96 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Made some adjustments to the fridge slide and fridge fitment before heading to Idaho for the weekend to celebrate Independence Day with my parents.
Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

At 297K miles the 1FZ is still running well and it makes me smile how smooth the truck cruises at these speeds even with 37" mud tires.
Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr
What gears are you running to get speeds like that?!!

What iron man springs did you have? Are they that much better? I have a iron man kit and I am not impressed. I had stock suspension with 260k so it’s a vast improvement but I feel like the progressive coils could be the missing link.
When I picked up this truck everything needed attention, it was a family vehicle but hadn’t been used or maintained regularly. Initial plan was to have something to wheel and play with so I was trying not to drop too much money into it. An Ironman 2” kit on a Black Friday delivered for less than $600 sounded great. I’d say your take on that suspension is in line with mine, way better than worn out OEM but not overwhelming.

I bought the VT springs used from someone going back to stock height, they’ve been hanging out waiting for my truck to get heavier. Initial impression is these are very different, the suspension is softer in the first couple of inches of travel so it really smooths out the ride. Some say tippy but I don’t feel that, maybe because I’m not that heavy. I’d talk to a vendor to help select springs, weight is the key between choosing progressives and tapered. I’m getting 3.5” of lift out of a 2.5” spring, but I like them so far.

Neighborhood Independence Day Mojito tailgate for the win 👍🏻

FAD85A71-2FC4-45B0-9CD8-D8C8739E136C.jpeg

@Box Rocket Do you typically drive around in "PWR" mode? I've always wondered when/how often people used this (also curious with O/D Off).
Not speaking for Box; but when I went to 35's, that button was always on. It's just the shift points. No harm either way. Just "felt" better to me.

@Box Rocket Do you typically drive around in "PWR" mode? I've always wondered when/how often people used this (also curious with O/D Off).

Not speaking for Box; but when I went to 35's, that button was always on. It's just the shift points. No harm either way. Just "felt" better to me.
Yup, until I had the transfer case regeared anyway...

Before, it was PWR always on and OD off much of the time. IH8 it when the auto trans is always hunting around for which gear it wants to be in.

:mad:

Cheated on the 80 and test drove a GX470 and 4th Gen 2uz 4runner yesterday. I've driven them before, but long enough ago I don't really remember the feeling. Not necessarily to replace the 80, but to give me something else to fool around with because I plan on tearing the 80 apart for maintenance and projects. But in the back of my mind I was thinking they could eventually replace the 80 since I only seem to do serious 80-worthy wheeling maybe a couple times a year anymore.

Bottom line, I still like the 80 more. More for driver position, visibility and layout/feel reasons than anything else. The power advantage of the VVTI 2UZ and A750 was certainly noticeable, but not that dramatic, especially given the tire size difference. That lower first gear did provide a lot more pep off the line and the nimble feeling of the lighter steering was a welcome change.

The whole experience got me thinking about a part time conversion (for steering feel mainly) and re-gear. Great, just added more items to the list of projects. :eek:

The 2U V8 is a great engine. It's too bad Toyota didn't put those in 80s for a year or so prior to the body-style change to the 100. They have done that with some engines in the past. A factory V8 80 would be the Holy Grail Land Cruiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom