Where Has Your 80 Taken You?: 80 Series Camping/Overland/Adventure Thread (21 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nothing big with the current one yet. I have some bigger trips in mind though, time allowing.

I have only been living in Idaho for going on four years now. Blew last summer building my current Cruiser, blew the few before that getting the business going. This year is all about getting out in the Cruiser and exploring Idaho.

D703F161-8332-4B4D-AF4B-46859BB2B815.jpeg
EBB7F3D0-E48E-4065-96DC-71528C184FD3.jpeg

Cheers

For decades, or actually centuries I guess, the river flowing from this glacier shifted and wandered ceaselessly across this broad valley floor preventing anything from taking hold and surviving long enough to spread. But about fifteen years ago a major flood altered and anchored the river in a more permanent course through this area letting the vegetation claim more and more of the gravel barrens every year. These early generations of wildflowers bloom beautifully in mid June and the upper valley smells like a rose garden.
This is almost always a pretty place to spend a Saturday or even a weekend, but when the sweet peas are blooming it is remarkable.

This shot is from last year Maybe the year before. I forget sometimes. First run out there this year will be the 10th but hoping the flowers will be in full bloom since things are warming and drying up nicely this spring.
DSC_0970.1.jpg

Mark...

Spent time in Montana over the holiday. Unfortunately a good part of the trip was trying not to die while addressing an AC issue. Full account here:

A good trip nonetheless. Met some amazing people. And Montana is beautiful!

One of the prettiest things I saw was a FJ60 Cummins R2.8 conversion in the shop at Overland Cruisers in Belgrade

D6701212-8DE5-4CD6-9390-F36284AF5385.jpeg

Stephen and his crew at Overland Cruisers are doing great things! Montana and the cruiser community are lucky to have them!

2ED28A82-360A-4E96-97B7-CB55110E5D50.jpeg

Last edited:
Spent time in Montana over the holiday. Unfortunately a good part of the trip was trying not to die while addressing an AC issue. Full account here:

A good trip nonetheless. Met some amazing people. And Montana is beautiful!

One of the prettiest things I saw was a FJ60 Cummins R2.8 conversion in the shop at Overland Cruisers in Belgrade

View attachment 2723667

Stephen and his crew at Overland Cruisers are doing great things! Montana and the cruiser community are lucky to have them!

View attachment 2723671
Planning a trip up to Montana in mid September, likely around the Bozeman/Livingston area. Any strong recommendations?

I live in the SW so most of my travels are in the CO/UT/NM area!

Maze May 2021
1625687786189.png

Lake Powell, May 2021

1625687881043.png

Blue Notch/ Red Mountain trail, May 2021

1625687922323.png

Over Under ruins, off of Cottonwood wash (not too far from hwy 95), May 2021

1625688003146.png

Devil's kitchen campground #4, June 2021. Yes, it was hot AF

1625688295604.png

Now I see why your rig is approaching 8k lbs :rofl:

Planning a trip up to Montana in mid September, likely around the Bozeman/Livingston area. Any strong recommendations?
Ya know I spent most of my time addressing the ac issue and hanging out at my relative’s ranch near Billings. Never got off the tarmac. So I’m not much help. But it’s a good question that I’d like to know the answer to myself. Maybe someone’ll pipe in here. Or I know there are MT groups… Maybe these guys:

So rad!

Alabama is a pretty boring state (in my opinion) when it comes to getting out there. So last September me and my drive made the long drive out to Death Valley and also Whitmore Canyon. I sat and planned the trip for about 6 months. Having all of our days and routes planned out so we didn't have to plan anything while we were out there. People told me I was crazy to travel that far. People even questioned taking a 26 year old car across the county. I'm happy to say the trip was pretty much flawless. The only issue we encountered the entire trip was my main Odyssey battery decided it was time to die after about 5 days. No clue what happened to it other than maybe it just couldn't quite handle the endless gravel/dirt roads. The Aux battery pulled us through until we got a replacement.
My wife loved the trip. I'm surprised she handled the 12 hour days of constant driving to get out there, but I assured her the views would be worth it and a major change from the typical drive down the interstate we are use to here in Alabama.
I'm ready for the next trip out west. We are thinking Telluride and Ouray Colorado and maybe Moab.

DSC_0781.JPG
DSC_0264.JPG
DSC_0331.JPG
DSC_0505.JPG
DSC_0702-1 (1).JPG

Alabama is a pretty boring state (in my opinion) when it comes to getting out there. So last September me and my drive made the long drive out to Death Valley and also Whitmore Canyon. I sat and planned the trip for about 6 months. Having all of our days and routes planned out so we didn't have to plan anything while we were out there. People told me I was crazy to travel that far. People even questioned taking a 26 year old car across the county. I'm happy to say the trip was pretty much flawless. The only issue we encountered the entire trip was my main Odyssey battery decided it was time to die after about 5 days. No clue what happened to it other than maybe it just couldn't quite handle the endless gravel/dirt roads. The Aux battery pulled us through until we got a replacement.
My wife loved the trip. I'm surprised she handled the 12 hour days of constant driving to get out there, but I assured her the views would be worth it and a major change from the typical drive down the interstate we are use to here in Alabama.
I'm ready for the next trip out west. We are thinking Telluride and Ouray Colorado and maybe Moab.

View attachment 2924241View attachment 2924217View attachment 2924218View attachment 2924221View attachment 2924224
I’ve driven my 80 series from Ohio to Ouray, Telluride, etc three years in a row. It’s nearly as far as your drive was. Completely worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom