Builds 1969 FJ40 Father / Son Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all - besides a introduction and some pictures of our FJ we got in 2018, this is my first real thread here. Just finally getting around to tearing her down and starting from the ground up. I said that "2021 is the year of getting things done". So gotta start somewhere.

IMG_9083_crop.jpg

IMG_9430.JPG

IMG_9083.JPG

Hey all - besides a introduction and some pictures of our FJ we got in 2018, this is my first real thread here. Just finally getting around to tearing her down and starting from the ground up. I said that "2021 is the year of getting things done". So gotta start somewhere.

View attachment 2721236

View attachment 2721238

View attachment 2721235

View attachment 2721236

View attachment 2721238

View attachment 2721235
Love it ! Can you please give us as much information right up front at the start of your build ?
Like ( we know the year 1969 ) now how many known miles , is it stock 1F ? Had the motor been replaced , any options on it like PS , AC ? winch ?
Ok ?

Love it ! Can you please give us as much information right up front at the start of your build ?
Like ( we know the year 1969 ) now how many known miles , is it stock 1F ? Had the motor been replaced , any options on it like PS , AC ? winch ?
Ok ?
Great observation!
The FJ is pretty much stock, with the original 1F motor. Has 6k on the odometer, not sure of the actual mileage. No AC, no PS. No winch, but definitely want to add.
behind the three speed someone added a Hone-o-drive unit which once actually made driving at highway speed pretty nice. So I plan to keep that unit and even found another one as a spare at the Bakersfield swap meet. There are some more pictures here.

My 7/70 had the wagon wheels, hacked hole for the aux tank, and “truck” mirrors on it when I picked it up (in’93). Everything else was there, looks like yours is in a similar state.
Whereabouts in Southern CA are you?

My 7/70 had the wagon wheels, hacked hole for the aux tank, and “truck” mirrors on it when I picked it up (in’93). Everything else was there, looks like yours is in a similar state.
Whereabouts in Southern CA are you?
Yeah to each their own, but wanted to close up the aux tank. I also managed to find some new old stock round side mirrors.
In Torrance here- I actually went by to see Jim Dickie a few years ago when we got it; and then went back only to find out he passed.

No, his son was supposedly taking it over, but when I asked the business next door they said his placed burned and I want to say his son passed? Don’t quote me in that, I could have misunderstood. But sounded like a bad situation.
Wow, that’s sad to hear.

Great observation!
The FJ is pretty much stock, with the original 1F motor. Has 6k on the odometer, not sure of the actual mileage. No AC, no PS. No winch, but definitely want to add.
behind the three speed someone added a Hone-o-drive unit which once actually made driving at highway speed pretty nice. So I plan to keep that unit and even found another one as a spare at the Bakersfield swap meet. There are some more pictures here.

I have a 1969 FJ40 (08/1968 production). It has been in my family since driven off the Toyota showroom floor. If you are interested in keeping/returning your FJ40 to original condition, you are welcome to contact me for questions or photos. I have kept everything original on mine. Your FJ40 is in really good cosmetic condition. I did notice that the folding rear seats have been reupholstered. The original did not have any ridges sewn into the seats. Looks like yours have more padding than the originals -- much appreciated by anyone riding back there!

I have a 1969 FJ40 (08/1968 production). It has been in my family since driven off the Toyota showroom floor. If you are interested in keeping/returning your FJ40 to original condition, you are welcome to contact me for questions or photos. I have kept everything original on mine. Your FJ40 is in really good cosmetic condition. I did notice that the folding rear seats have been reupholstered. The original did not have any ridges sewn into the seats. Looks like yours have more padding than the originals -- much appreciated by anyone riding back there!
Thanks! I’m going to need plenty of help. Yeah the intent is to keep pretty much original besides a small lift. If we got it 100% mechanical sound the finish work is secondary. Thanks again.

Not too much recently. Pulled the trans/transfer case/overdrive unit, etc. Took them to a local shop to get some info on rebuilding.
Now I'm close to decisions though, like suspension and motor.
Current thinking is to swap for a 2F motor (from Man A Fre maybe?), and 2" OME lift... Decisions, decisions.
64772937411__B2EE5B77-FC53-44E1-B89C-CD931EB7EEAC.jpg

🍿🥃

Front and rear end are dropped. Transmission and transfer case are out for rebuild.
I got a suspension kit in but haven’t looked at the hardware yet. I’m assuming it reuses the same “inside” pins but new bolts for the shackles.
also got the clutch and flywheel off the old motor. I assume I’ll use the same flywheel for the 2F coming in. I’ve got to dig into front and rear end details to get those back into shape.

CA372ABD-A7DB-45A1-822D-1AA77EEB97D3.jpeg

0F956634-4B88-4865-A76E-A051A57CCD05.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom