Builds 79 Aussie BJ55 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When I had the radiator in last I did a test fit of both hoses to check routing and clearance. I found the bottom hose was a squeeze past the inner fender.. so I cut it out to get a bit more room.
i.php
i.php

I also removed some divot type depression where I need to mount the hard brake lines between the firewall and the chassis..
i.php

put a lip on all my inner fender mods to give it a bit more strength.

Heres where the brake and cluch run down to meet soft lines on the clutch slave, and brake union blocks on the chassis.
i.php

An fed the vac line that runs across the firewall behind the brake booster and attached it to a captured nut:
i.php

yay. bottom rad hose clears, brake lines made and new clutch master installed. tomorrow ill get the last few bits to complete the turbo install. oil feed and drain lines as well as the high pressure power steer line modded. i also ordered 3 x shorter cv's so i can run my free wheel hubs on the 80..
i.php
i.php
i.php
i.php

the hose was a tight squeeze before. now it doesnt touch anything.

had last night off.. passed out putting miss 8 to bed.. but tonight i cleaned up the shed, fitted my powersteer line, found a spot for the ps res, mocked up some intercooler piping, cut stuff up for a battery tray and am well on my way to get 1 custom airbox out of two.

spent the last two days fixing the hacked up bj73 airbox by grafting on bits and patches from the fzj80 airbox. just need to take out a bit more of the inner fender at the snorkle to finalize airbox mount locations. i also got the battery tray mostly sorted with room for 3" of intercooler piping. im gonna run the engine bay wiring to see what needs to go where. also paintes the exhaust with hi temp paint prior to wrapping with heat tape. making progress but still lots to do. oh and i got the timing set on the inj pump too since it was reinstalled after reco.

i.php

dry fit the wiring. only got a few plugs i dont recognize. marked holes for various relays, ill weld in captured nuts.
i.php
i.php

washer bottle home. just need to fab a bracket off the firewall for it to bolt to.
i.php

battery tray mock up and ps res bracket. with room for 3" of cold side piping too.

Last edited:
still tickin along. bolted up the manifold and turbo with gaskets, oil feed and oil drain
i.php
i.php

Exhaust wrapped and peel n stick heat sheild on too it is tight but there is a a gap.

First and 2nd section of exhaust in place.
i.php

However when putting in the pipe over the chassis I need to make some more modifications:
i.php

This section will get heat shield too as well as inside the cab.

got a battery tray and airbox mounts made up, along with the airbox mods complete. Inner fender/engine bay painted
i.php
i.php

i.php

Power steer high pressure line done too so it works with the factory cooler:
i.php

Now onto the engine bay wiring

washer bottle wiring relocated from behind drivers headlight to engine bay, firewall in front of passenger. and the glow circuit removed

i.php

going to work on gauges and locker wiring now. i dont want to tape it up until ive tested it.

put this on before i forget
i.php

windscreen guy is coming out tomorrow to finish the glass too

Booked the engineer in however due to previous arrangements its after my planned departure date. This means i'll have to cancel my planned trip but theres lots of border closures due to Covid19 lock downs and other complicating factors associated with interstate travel happening. It might be a blessing in disguise but it may also mean I can ensure its all finished appropriately prior to engineering.

need to get my head back in the game. but pottered around tonight getting new semi sealed headlights in, fiddled with the dash and made brackets to hold my 15bft badge.
i.php
i.php

Head back in the game? I can’t recall ever seeing anyone get as much accomplished in as short amount of time as you. You’re a machine!
just feeling a bit lost with what to tackle next. the list is still long. i guess getting even the smallest of jobs is a step in the right direction.

Starting to come together, getting the glass back in is a big step.

Maybe get the doors on, push it outside and tidy the shed. Press the reset button and finish it off.
my plan was to do wiring, dssh and fuel so i can drive it out of the shed. that way i can work on stripping the doors, fender and bonnet for paint..

ordered new ignition barrel and keys yesterday cos when doing the wiring i found i couldnt turn the key to off, just between acc and on. got a 5micron fuel filter/water seperator to pick up at the end of the week so i can make a bracket then.
discussions with the engineer have highlighted i need to massage thenfirewall at the dump pipe to give min 10mm clearance, and that means ill have to reroute the exhaust at the rear diff. the exhaust changes mean it may exit the passenger side but that means i can tuck it up higher. dunno yet its been too cold to crawl under there and see.. need to think about fuel line construction and fixtures. i used existing stuff for the brake lines so that was easy
the cogs are always turning

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom