PIG THREAD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BOOM!

Nicest, straightest one I think I've ever seen

Man, that is hot.

1619559525945.png

Wonder why the $11,500 price drop in 2.5 years? Seems to be a decent / nice truck. I would have thought this would have held its value, if not gone up.

1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ55 - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1977-toyota-land-cruiser-fj55-2/

Did you not see all the rust popping through the roof paint?

That truck was the sister Pig to my 71 Wilbur.

Shane Morrell found it. Sold it for $3500 to a guy in Phoenix that painted it. Flipped to the guy at Elite Land cruiser for $25,000

Elite flipped it on BAT for $50,000

Did you not see all the rust popping through the roof paint?

That truck was the sister Pig to my 71 Wilbur.

Shane Morrell found it. Sold it for $3500 to a guy in Phoenix that painted it. Flipped to the guy at Elite Land cruiser for $25,000

Elite flipped it on BAT for $50,000
Yeah, but I just figured if it had an "established" value of $50k two years ago, the market has gotten stronger since then.....so this current market would have sort of absorbed the body issues

Took the Pig out to GSMTR this weekend and got my first real seat time in it. I love it! It was a great learning experience.

I learned:
  • Either the thermostat is stuck open or has been removed.
  • You cannot walk into a parts house and buy a Walbro in-line fuel pump
  • The pump and filter are in need of reworking
  • The rear passenger has a weeping seal, and lastly
  • There is something that needs attention in the front driver area.
So I have a few things to do before the next trip out and I also am learning what spares are important to have.

I am compiling a winter maintenance list as we go along. But (and all of you pretty well know this) it is an Effing beast. Just point where to go and ease on throttle.

We took it easy since I was green, but I found a couple spots to stretch him out a little.

IMG_2168.jpg

IMG_2169.jpg

20210619_152709.jpg

He is home, washed off and parked while I start gathering parts.

Can't wait to see him back in hot springs in a few months.

Any of you on FB, I think Erin posted a video of it coming down the ledge.

I learned:
It ran hot on me once or twice during the summers in Hot Springs, but I was convinced that the electric fan just wasn't up to the task. I had plans to eventually put the mechanical fan back on there with a very good shroud. The stock fan was in the parts bins. I never looked into a possible thermostat (or lack thereof) issue.

There should have been a spare Walbro pump in the parts bins as well...I replaced the one that was on it when I got it b/c it whined a lot. It never had any actual problems, so I held onto it.

I had an issue with inline filter directly upstream from the pump once before. I ended up taking it apart and flushing it out with clean gas as it appeared to have been clogged. Since it seems to have happened again, it might be worth dropping the tank and flushing it out.

The rear passenger axle leak is a new one. We never went into the rear, and it never exhibited any issues.

Is the problem in the 'front driver area' a WHO or a WHAT??? That front axle should be f'ing bulletproof.

Glad to see her out on the trails!

Edit - sorry I missed your text the other day...

It ran hot on me once or twice during the summers in Hot Springs, but I was convinced that the electric fan just wasn't up to the task. I had plans to eventually put the mechanical fan back on there with a very good shroud. The stock fan was in the parts bins. I never looked into a possible thermostat (or lack thereof) issue.

There should have been a spare Walbro pump in the parts bins as well...I replaced the one that was on it when I got it b/c it whined a lot. It never had any actual problems, so I held onto it.

I had an issue with inline filter directly upstream from the pump once before. I ended up taking it apart and flushing it out with clean gas as it appeared to have been clogged. Since it seems to have happened again, it might be worth dropping the tank and flushing it out.

The rear passenger axle leak is a new one. We never went into the rear, and it never exhibited any issues.

Is the problem in the 'front driver area' a WHO or a WHAT??? That front axle should be f'ing bulletproof.

Glad to see her out on the trails!

Edit - sorry I missed your text the other day...

The cooling issue is something I'm chasing. Brian with ACC seemed to think the fan was solid and since it would cool down quick and we'd be back on the roll that it was either stuck open or missing. I'm gonna pop the hose off and replace the thermostat (or install one if needed). I'll figure out the next step from there.

I remembered, while riding to town from the park, that there was a pump in the box that came with it. I didn't know what all was what and to be honest didn't bring much in the way of parts with me. Also, I know it came with an extra tank with a sump and some AN fittings installed. I figure at some point I'll see if I can get that installed in it.

I pulled the old filter (the one mounted on the frame) off. That thing is not super easy to fiddle with. But I did find some replacement cartridges on Summit, so I'm thinking I may just reuse it and change the barbs to -6 and roll with it.

Rear seal is just maintenance, just need to check all the bearings and seals.

Front end kinda had the sound of a loose lug nut, but they are all tight. Gave the wheel a kick when I got it loaded and think the wheel bearings may just need checking and tightening. Just had an odd tink tink coming from the front on the way down the hill on Saturday. I really just need to put eyes and hands on all 4 corners and check'em out. But yes, all the parts are 100% solid. It ain't actual drive-line, something simple.

All things considered, it was a good trip. I just need more seat time so I can get more comfortable (and convince Erin we won't roll down the mountain) so I can start pushing it harder.

Took the Pig out to GSMTR this weekend and got my first real seat time in it. I love it! It was a great learning experience.

I learned:
So I have a few things to do before the next trip out and I also am learning what spares are important to have.

I am compiling a winter maintenance list as we go along. But (and all of you pretty well know this) it is an Effing beast. Just point where to go and ease on throttle.

We took it easy since I was green, but I found a couple spots to stretch him out a little.

View attachment 2709510

View attachment 2709511

View attachment 2709509

He is home, washed off and parked while I start gathering parts.

Can't wait to see him back in hot springs in a few months.

Any of you on FB, I think Erin posted a video of it coming down the ledge.
Looking forward to a right seat ride at SCC, and a reciprocated ride in franken hopefully on 37’s with lockers, gears, LRA, and nomad done by then.

I'm not sure what locker is in the front but I have an Aussie in the front of my 4runner and spent the better part of a day chasing a similar sound until I finally figured out that it was the locker doing what an automatic locker does...

I'm not sure what locker is in the front but I have an Aussie in the front of my 4runner and spent the better part of a day chasing a similar sound until I finally figured out that it was the locker doing what an automatic locker does...
Detroit.

Possibility then.

Maybe, but the noise was in a straight line, no steering input. If it was locker Ida thought it would have been while turning. I'm gonna get it on some stands soon and pull the front wheels. New walbro should be here Tuesday. Probably sort out fueling, then start chasing the cooling issues.

Fresh eyes for the moose. Need to order some new battery terminals to finish up the wiring.

20210718_170613.jpg

Random Q, what do you connect the 1/4" eye in the kit to? Most distribution blocks and battery studs are 5/16 or 3/8. Trying to decide how to get the battery + to the harness without cutting off and replacing the ring terminal.

Last edited:
Put some fresh lipstick on the WarPig!

20210718_203212.jpg

Fresh eyes for the moose. Need to order some new battery terminals to finish up the wiring.

View attachment 2734784

Random Q, what do you connect the 1/4" eye in the kit to? Most distribution blocks and battery studs are 5/16 or 3/8. Trying to decide how to get the battery + to the harness without cutting off and replacing the ring terminal.
Cut & replace. There’s usually excess wire to get rid of anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom