NAPA Eclipse Calipers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My question was which caliper/s you are saying were a total of $205,
Reading comprehension:
I specified "OEM remanufactured calipers (including the core charge)"
That's remanufactured, NOT new. Onur gave the part numbers in post #25 of this thread.
I typically purchase OEM parts online from McGeorge Toyota.

Reading comprehension:
I specified "OEM remanufactured calipers (including the core charge)"
That's remanufactured, NOT new. Onur gave the part numbers in post #25 of this thread.
I typically purchase OEM parts online from McGeorge Toyota.

It's unfortunate when people decide to be rude and condescending to others who are simply seeking information. For you to write "reading comprehension" is very rude and condescending. I didn't write that you said new anywhere, so I don't know why you would write "reading comprehension" other than to simply be rude and condescending.

What you could have written (at the outset) was simply, "Onur gave the part numbers in post #25 of this thread, I got those reman units online from McGeorge Toyota."

It's unnecessary to be a tool to other people on this forum. The very essence of this forum is people helping other people, and sharing advice and information.

Thank you for clarifying what you bought and where, I appreciate it.

It's unfortunate when people decide to be rude and condescending to others who are simply seeking information. For you to write "reading comprehension" is very rude and condescending. I didn't write that you said new anywhere, so I don't know why you would write "reading comprehension" other than to simply be rude and condescending.

What you could have written (at the outset) was simply, "Onur gave the part numbers in post #25 of this thread, I got those reman units online from McGeorge Toyota."

It's unnecessary to be a tool to other people on this forum. The very essence of this forum is people helping other people, and sharing advice and information.

You are not my child, so it is not my responsibility to spoon feed you information which you can simply read for yourself. If you bothered to read through this thread, all of your questions would have been answered. I don't have to repeat what has already been written for you.
And now I'm repeating myself...

Well, I paid less for OEM remanufactured calipers (including the core charge) than the NAPA ones I returned because they were crap.
Total including shipping for OEM was $204.92
Total including shipping for NAPA was $256.73.
And OEM rotors are a whole $2 more than the NAPA parts.
I love math.

It’s a no brainer. Oem all day.

Actually, that was pretty nice for New Jersey! You probably live in the South like I do, but I came here from Joy-cee so understand both perspectives. Anyway, here you go:

I have used NAPA Eclipse for years, had one front seized after 2 years (very harsh trail conditions), noticed when changing pads. The good thing about them is the lifetime warranty, the bad is they be great, or crap. if

I get you. My business partner is from the Bronx (and a Marine), no different. My wife, and kids, all born in NY too. In the south for 18 years, its different, very different. Just a matter of perspective. I don't think anyone on my street in Charlotte is from here, they are all from NY, NJ, or Chicago. Pretty interesting. They all gang up on the poor bastard from Boston during football season.

My front Napa Eclipse calipers each have one seized piston after a few years causing pulling and bad pad wear. Going with Toyota reman this time. Hard not to when they’re actually not super expensive.

I will do the same next time I need them, Lifetime warranty is nice, but its the poor braking, hassle of replacing and premature pad wear that pisses me off.

So after all that was said. Where is the best place to get OEM calipers, roters and other solid parts? I have a 91' FJ 80. I was looking into upgrading to the 96' parts for the larger roter. Is this a good idea?

Last edited:
Work smarter, not harder.

I have always rebuilt my calipers using the OEM rebuild kit, but it was always a PITA to get the sometimes stuck pistons out.
As I am prepping the new calipers for painting, I needed to remove the pistons (brand new ones BTW) along with all the bits and pieces associated with the rebuild kit. I didn't want to use the 2 screwdriver method to pry them out as they are brand new and I didn't want to mar the finish.
I took 9 Home Depot paint stirrers cut down to 6" and taped together as a spacer for the calipers.
This worked flawlessly as the pistons have just enough seal left to get all 4 out using compressed air.
Knock the spacer out and give the pistons a little wiggle and they come right out.

I'm certain someone thought of this before me because I remember reading something similar years ago, but I think it's great.

Spacer.jpg

Work smarter, not harder.

I have always rebuilt my calipers using the OEM rebuild kit, but it was always a PITA to get the sometimes stuck pistons out.
As I am prepping the new calipers for painting, I needed to remove the pistons (brand new ones BTW) along with all the bits and pieces associated with the rebuild kit. I didn't want to use the 2 screwdriver method to pry them out as they are brand new and I didn't want to mar the finish.
I took 9 Home Depot paint stirrers cut down to 6" and taped together as a spacer for the calipers.
This worked flawlessly as the pistons have just enough seal left to get all 4 out using compressed air.
Knock the spacer out and give the pistons a little wiggle and they come right out.

I'm certain someone thought of this before me because I remember reading something similar years ago, but I think it's great.

View attachment 2075572
Why not just tape off the pistons and that area?

Why not just tape off the pistons and that area?
Because I needed to hit the whole shebang with brake cleaner before painting. There was lots of residual grease/oil/crap and the brake cleaner would have damaged the rubber seals.

Because I needed to hit the whole shebang with brake cleaner before painting. There was lots of residual grease/oil/crap and the brake cleaner would have damaged the rubber seals.
OK. Makes sense!

But you'll wash off all that pretty silver paint! :rofl:

New genuine might be available. I managed to source a set of new genuines probably about 2 yrs ago. check Amayama, partsouq and megazip as well as what any local dealerships might say as I don't know if those parts places cross-link straight into Toyota central parts brains trust or have their own inventories.

So back in 2018, I replaced all 4 calipers with Napa Eclipse and after reading what other people dealt with, figured I was one of the lucky ones. Yesterday I had to replace one of them in the rear as it was dragging. I initially planned to do a quick rebuild as it can be done pretty quickly but once i got the piston out i noticed the rust was very extensive. Anyway Looking closely they should not have passed QC for remaning. Talked to Napa they had to order 3 calipers before one came in that had new sliding bolts, Not the pitted sandblasted variety, and with pistons that were not rusted. One caliper they ordered for me, arrived with a nice paint job over what used to be a machined surface, couldn't even tell anymore. anyway the third caliper they ordered was in good condition and I installed it yesterday. I did a quick rebuild with a new piston on the other rear caliper just to be sure rust wasn't an issue there too. So in short if you still go this direction and not OEM, you need to inspect them very well before accepting them. I know they provide that warranty and it is very nice, but its better to not have to use the warranty in the first place. Figured I would let people know that you have to check the quality very much. Personally I wish i would have just rebuilt the originals and not gone down this path, but hopefully mine were remaned and someone got a good set.

Last edited:
I still have a "new" OEM remanufactured caliper to return that had a seized piston. I didn't pull it apart to diagnose, as it's just going to get returned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom