Question for installation of Sumo under drive gears in the transfer case of a 2006 Land Cruiser 100 series! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys, I purchase Sumo transfer case gears for my 2006 land cruiser 100 series, to reduce the High gears in the transfer case by about 10%.

I had a local shop who specializes in land cruisers install the gears in the transfer case. They have installed transfer case gears many times before. And two questions and concerns came up.

First, the input shaft on my 100 series did not work on the new gears and they needed to use a land cruiser 80 series input shaft with sumo gears, which was fine but I’m thinking this may have contributed to the bigger issue which was, upon completion of the installation of the gears, the transfer case could not be turned by hand. They told me this has never been the case with other transfer gears they have installed.

Most gear reductions installed in transfer cases turn by hand. Is there a reason for this? Is this normal and is there a break in process perhaps for the gears to start spinning freely by hand?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Edwin

Yeah, my question would be why did they have to use an 80 input shaft when the tcase is the same HF2A and same underdrive part for both vehicles.

1. the 100 series require an extra kit to replace idler- did you order it? Whoever you ordered from should have asked you about that

2. the case must be clearanced- did they do that?

Thanks for the feedback, you’re correct. It does need a new idler gear, a 39 tooth gear in order to function properly. I’m in the process of locating and ordering that gear.

are you sure about the case needing clearance? And what would need to be shaved in order to accommodate?

Edit: did you also install low range reduction at the same time? Low range reduction requires clearancing, sorry not high range,

The low range under drive gear is larger and to allow it to spin freely, a couple of spots in the case must be clearanced including the oil slinger- on both sides of the cases. Not saying that’s for sure the problem, but it’s worth asking as not clearancing will make it hard to turn the gears.

Marlin and Otramm both have good instructions and or videos for this job.

Last edited:
It was the idler gear. I have one on order and hope to install by Friday. Sumo, and cruiser outfitters specifically said no clearance/shaving of the transfer case is required, but the idler gear is. Is there something you’re aware of?

Yeah, my question would be why did they have to use an 80 input shaft when the tcase is the same HF2A and same underdrive part for both vehicles.

The 80 Series used splined input shaft that the OEM or Sumo input gear slips on and is retained by a clip. Toyota changed the 100 Series input shaft and integrated the gear and the shaft into a single part, so the gear can’t be swapped.

That input shaft, clips, bearing, and all associated parts needed to put our high range overdrive or underdrive gear sets (TCG9007ODHR & TCG9007UDHR) into a 100/470 case are included in our conversion kit, part# TCG9807HRKIT

The 80 Series used splined input shaft that the OEM or Sumo input gear slips on and is retained by a clip. Toyota changed the 100 Series input shaft and integrated the gear and the shaft into a single part, so the gear can’t be swapped.

That input shaft, clips, bearing, and all associated parts needed to put our high range overdrive or underdrive gear sets (TCG9007ODHR & TCG9007UDHR) into a 100/470 case are included in our conversion kit, part# TCG9807HRKIT

Is that all 100 series or just the later years?

Is that all 100 series or just the later years?

All US spec 100/470's have the 1pc input gear/shaft

80 Series

1625612737871.png

100 Series

1625613291664.png

Thanks for explaining in detail what seems to be kind of vague on your website- it just says -100series/LX470 require extra parts- call for info.

It would be helpful to know the entire kit required listed on the underdrive gear page

Thanks for explaining in detail what seems to be kind of vague on your website- it just says -100series/LX470 require extra parts- call for info.

It would be helpful to know the entire kit required listed on the underdrive gear page

They have been selling faster than we can keep them in stock, as soon as we actually have them on the shelf I need to get the additional kit photographed and then we will change up the kits for the hundred/470 to just include all of the needed parts.

1. the 100 series require an extra kit to replace idler- did you order it? Whoever you ordered from should have asked you about that

2. the case must be clearanced- did they do that?
Im in a process of install an under drive gear for my buddy 100. I already swap the input shaft from the 80 series. My question is do I need to replace the 80 idler also

Thanks

Im in a process of install an under drive gear for my buddy 100. I already swap the input shaft from the 80 series. My question is do I need to replace the 80 idler also

Thanks
Sorry I don’t have the answer- best answer would be from the vendor he purchased the kit from

Sorry I don’t have the answer- best answer would be from the vendor he purchased the kit from
Thanks for the respond. I found out what I need already. But I wish Cruiseroutfitters should sell as 2 different kit. One kit for the 80 and the other for the 100. That is less confusing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom