Carburetor Cooling Fan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mine rarely comes on in winter...

I think it works on time, not temp.

That's the way my 1980 works. It never comes on until you shut the engine off, then it runs on a timer for about 10-15 minutes (guess). Mine does that summer or winter, I'm pretty sure. I'm so used to it, I don't even hear it anymore.

Thanks all for responding; however I was looking for the turn-on temperature (high temp.) that the fan comes on at.

It only comes on when you turn the key off, no matter what the temp is. It shuts off after a pre-set time and it's purpose is to prevent carb vapor lock and is part of the emission system.

Thanks all for responding; however I was looking for the turn-on temperature (high temp.) that the fan comes on at.

Not OEM, but my solution: > Click here < see post #18....and you can read the thread to see my solution to installing a carb cooling fan on a rig that didn't come to the US with one.

The OP is correct that the cooling fan does not come on (even when you first shut off the engine) unless the sensor has reached about 160 degrees F. It is a simple snap switch that snaps to open (off) after the temp at the sensor drops below about 160 degrees. Toyota would not want the cooling fan to come on at all if the engine had not been thoroughly warmed. I just went through a full carb cooler installation on my '79, so it is fresh in my mind.

Mine is a non US model so I added an electronic timer set for 20 minutes and a thermoswitch of 203 f. The timer starts when ignition is turned off and temperature is above 203.
20210605_230849.jpg

All works great.
My question- what does the sensor touch originally? Mine is checking the temperature of the intake manifold next to the carburetor base....is it correct?

I don't believe the sensor physically touched any part of the engine, but was very close to the manifold surface and picked up radiant heat.

The sensor doesn't actually touch anything, but senses air temperature near the base of the carb. As noted in this photo that I posted previously, it's mounted to an "L" bracket hanging off the intake manifold.

1624033386932.png

The sensor doesn't actually touch anything, but senses air temperature near the base of the carb. As noted in this photo that I posted previously, it's mounted to an "L" bracket hanging off the intake manifold.

View attachment 2707185
Do you know how far the tip of the sensor from the intake manifold or exhaust manifold? I'm trying to make it as close as possible to the oem solution....thanks

Do you know how far the tip of the sensor from the intake manifold or exhaust manifold? I'm trying to make it as close as possible to the oem solution....thanks

It's about 1/2 inch aft of the intake manifold and 1/2 inch outboard of the exhaust manifold.

I happen to have this one on my desk at my office.

IMG_9381.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom