Prado door on Gx rear door ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lots of ways to skin the cat!

I haven’t yet seen anyone drive down and 73 hours one way for me isn’t gonna work. o_O

But this experience with the Prado bumper / fenders / hood / lights has been so far positive. If we’re able to get a handful of people - I bet we can drive the delivered price below that of MetalTech but slightly more than JW. I think if we budgeted around $1000-$1200 - we’d be pretty close all said and done.

But again, let’s wait and see.
I ahve driven from Az to Guatemala and Belize and back about 28 times , not afraid of the drive , it's just that I am 65 and , well , I've better things to do .
Although , have considered it as I know the way down very well

Not sure if this has been confirmed. I took some time to look at the hinges for the two door versions (with and without spare tire). They are exactly the same, so the GX460 hinge should be able to hold the new door with extra weight.

Capture.JPG
Capture1.JPG

I ahve driven from Az to Guatemala and Belize and back about 28 times , not afraid of the drive , it's just that I am 65 and , well , I've better things to do .
Although , have considered it as I know the way down very well

Well, I guess that’s my point. CAN it be done? I’m sure. But no one has. 🤷‍♂️

My rear door is on a boat em route and should be here before the end of May. I was hoping for end of April, but that ain’t gonna happen.

Not sure if this has been confirmed. I took some time to look at the hinges for the two door versions (with and without spare tire). They are exactly the same, so the GX460 hinge should be able to hold the new door with extra weight.

View attachment 2658890View attachment 2658893

Nice. I’ve gone back and forth on these drawings as well trying to see if there’s anything else I need.

Im thinking the install should go straight forward as far as bolting on the door goes. My questions are always around ancillary items like the wiper, door shock, trim... and my biggest fear - the release handle. Hoping there’s enough slack in the line. 🤞

Last edited:
Well, I guess that’s my point. CAN it be done? I’m sure. But no one has. 🤷‍♂️

My rear door is on a boat em route and should be here before the end of May. I was hoping for end of April, but that ain’t gonna happen.

Nice. I’ve gone back and forth on these drawings as well trying to see if there’s anything else I need.

Im thinking the install should go straight forward as far as bolting on the door goes. My questions are always around ancillary items like the wiper, door shock, trim... and my biggest fear - the release handle. Hoping there’s enough slack in the line. 🤞
Did you get the door?

Did you get the door?

Nice timing. 🙃

Tracking says: "On Vehicle for Delivery" - TODAY! 🙌

I'm waiting to hear from the body shop that they got it - then I'm gonna run up there to make sure nothing was damage in shipping. After that, I'm not sure of the plan. Probably get the truck in for test fitting, then setup time for paint, then bring it back for install.

The only other hiccup I have is the 5th wheel I ordered back in February STILL isn't here. 🤦‍♂️

However, I'm being told "within two weeks" - so the timing might work out perfectly. 🤞

[[[Cross Post from my build thread]]]

e1e342f1-777a-46c0-bfca-758e0d343b9c-jpeg.2705745

5002316f-06d0-4bd5-abaa-7f12b256af9e-jpeg.2705746

ef30b6ca-4116-4d36-a60e-970abe4613d9-jpeg.2705747

313a2f79-52dd-4966-9cff-9d7e0c2ad461-jpeg.2705748

dfa20979-2d88-4cba-a65f-96e248f1330e-jpeg.2705755

Well. There you have it.

Everything showed up in one piece (I was most worried about the glass) and seems complete!

It looks to be a straight swap - so hopefully it’ll just be a matter of moving over components. I am also crossing my fingers that I can reuse the interior parts from my car since I’m sepia/ecru.

Trying to find time for final test fit and paint.

Last edited:
Nice going!
What did you pay for all that ? Excluding shipping

[[[Cross Post from my build thread]]]

View attachment 2705745View attachment 2705746View attachment 2705747
View attachment 2705748
View attachment 2705755

Well. There you have it.

Everything showed up in one piece (I was most worried about the glass) and seems complete!

It looks to be a straight swap - so hopefully it’ll just be a matter of moving over components. I am also crossing my fingers that I can reuse the interior parts from my car since I’m sepia/ecru.
🤞

Trying to find time for final test fit and paint.
There is a God!

Nice going!
What did you pay for all that ? Excluding shipping

It’ll be right around $1000 all said and done. Which, compared to some other options out there (rear bumper with swing out) - is a savings of $1000+. 🙃

There is a God!

…and a delivery guy! 🙌

And what do you purchase is used, correct? It looks brand new but I'm sure it's not, brand-new would be three times that price

And what do you purchase is used, correct? It looks brand new but I'm sure it's not, brand-new would be three times that price
Brand new. Not OEM Toyota - but high quality aftermarket.

My Prado front end conversion was the same way and that was extremely impressive quality and so far so good six months in. 👍

Brand new. Not OEM Toyota - but high quality aftermarket.

My Prado front end conversion was the same way and that was extremely impressive quality and so far so good six months in. 👍
I think that's so odd that somebody would go through the trouble to make an aftermarket door for a vehicle , I certainly know next to nothing about this sort of thing but, so maybe it happens frequent for other vehicles, and I guess it's all about carrying the spare tire it's that popular that somebody would want to go through that kind of trouble, I guess there's money there to be made or I'm missing something.

I think that's so odd that somebody would go through the trouble to make an aftermarket door for a vehicle , I certainly know next to nothing about this sort of thing but, so maybe it happens frequent for other vehicles, and I guess it's all about carrying the spare tire it's that popular that somebody would want to go through that kind of trouble, I guess there's money there to be made or I'm missing something.
It's a cheaper replacement than OEM for Prado's (and every other vehicle) damaged in accidents, etc.

It's a cheaper replacement than OEM for Prado's (and every other vehicle) damaged in accidents, etc.
Well, I had no idea, and I don't know the industry but that sure is a surprise, I got a buddy here in town who owns a body shop i might mention that to him and get his response, maybe that's where they get all their doors or a lot of them anyway . I know for certain they get their doors off of wrecked vehicles, but aftermarket doors, that would be a surprise, thank you China I guess

Yeah - any body panel for any vehicle is available in an aftermarket version. Hoods, bumpers, doors, lamps, glass - you name it.

Body shops will usually give you the option of OEM or aftermarket. When dealing with insurance, customers want OEM but insurance would rather pay for aftermarket - sooooo - thats where the junkyard business comes into play. It’s technically OEM, but it’s used.

Regardless, once I fit this and figure out what else is needed and what accommodations someone needs to make - I’m going to try and load up a full container and bring over 10-20 of these.

Yeah - any body panel for any vehicle is available in an aftermarket version. Hoods, bumpers, doors, lamps, glass - you name it.

Body shops will usually give you the option of OEM or aftermarket. When dealing with insurance, customers want OEM but insurance would rather pay for aftermarket - sooooo - thats where the junkyard business comes into play. It’s technically OEM, but it’s used.

Regardless, once I fit this and figure out what else is needed and what accommodations someone needs to make - I’m going to try and load up a full container and bring over 10-20 of these.
Sorry I haven't kept up, but we'd gave to paint to match, right?

Makes me wonder , where were they made , China ? Anything on the box that tells ya something ?
Maybe order straight from manufacture company

Makes me wonder , where were they made , China ? Anything on the box that tells ya something ?
Maybe order straight from manufacture company

For sure an option to order direct. But you didn’t ask me how much it cost to ship just the one door. I paid more in shipping than the door itself. 😬

That’s why the idea of loading a container and bringing over 10-20 of them makes way more financial sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom