Disassembling the hard top (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This has been on my list for a few years. Hesitant only because of said “can of worms” I may open. Anyways, good luck, I’ll be paying close attention to threads like this and others.
Taking the top off is the best thing. Driving topless just doesn't compare to having it on. Also instantly fixes all your rattles.

I went for it. I started at the top, separating the cap from the sides. Even with pre treating I broke about half of the bolts. I don’t think these parts have ever been taken apart and with the leaking drip rail they were very rusty.
AB5CE9FC-B1A3-4879-A458-66F3BDC7F23D.jpeg

6DE748A8-B784-4659-89CB-AA58BDE05500.jpeg

The sides were easier but the post on the drivers side was seriously stuck. It ended up snapping, bummer.
F7B3ED34-BD3D-4DAE-92DF-B9C7A86CD820.jpeg

I went for it. I started at the top, separating the cap from the sides. Even with pre treating I broke about half of the bolts. I don’t think these parts have ever been taken apart and with the leaking drip rail they were very rusty. View attachment 2681149
View attachment 2681150
The sides were easier but the post on the drivers side was seriously stuck. It ended up snapping, bummer. View attachment 2681152
Nice work. You did make sure the bolt holding that post in place was loosened?

Would it not work to use a hacksaw between the side and top to just cut the bolts? Seems like they are going to break anyway and I would guess it will need a new seal. Just thinking out load because I will need to take on this project at some point.

Would it not work to use a hacksaw between the side and top to just cut the bolts? Seems like they are going to break anyway and I would guess it will need a new seal. Just thinking out load because I will need to take on this project at some point.
You could do that but snapping them is pretty easy. I got good at predicting which ones would break.
I put the half doors on and went for a drive. Somehow it’s quieter. Weird.

A33EF67D-FB06-4E90-BD95-1F5351E2C641.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom