Post pics of your dog(s)with your 80! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

20210408_184911.jpg

20210409_112718.jpg

20210410_114111.jpg

three lil brats

Pudge always seems to know if we're headed to the vet or the groomers :(

20210514_151620.jpg

Yesterday was a tough day.

I had to put our Toller, Lucky, to sleep. He was my road and shop buddy for the last 15 years and will be dearly missed. He lost the use of his back legs over the past week, and by yesterday was unable to walk. We had a vet come to the house and put him down. The family was present, and his final resting place was his favorite spot in the yard.

15 years is a good run for a large breed dog, and he was fine almost up to the very end. He has traveled the US with me and loved the 80 as much as any of us. Our other dog Ruby doesn’t seem particularly fazed yet. She gave a passing sniff to his body and promptly stole the bone he had just been chewing. Live in the moment 🤷‍♂️:)

Lucky had a good day yesterday prior to the vet visit. He was totally with it mentally, just couldn't move. He had beef bones, pizza, and peanut butter throughout the day. He was happy 👍. The last pic was about an hour before he got his shot.

RIP, old man. You were a blessing to our family. 💔:beer:

Lucky on Solar.jpg

IMG_5155.JPG

IMG_2399.JPG

Last Pic.jpg

Last edited:

I had to put our Toller, Lucky, to sleep. He was my road and shop buddy for the last 15 years and will be dearly missed. He lost the use of his back legs over the past week, and by yesterday was unable to walk. We had a vet come to the house and put him down. The family was present, and his final resting place was his favorite spot in the yard.

15 years is a good run for a large breed dog, and he was fine almost up to the very end. He has traveled the US with me and loved the 80 as much as any of us. Our other dog Ruby doesn’t seem particularly fazed yet. She gave a passing sniff to his body and promptly stole the bone he had just been chewing. Live in the moment 🤷‍♂️:)

Lucky had a good day yesterday prior to the vet visit. He was totally with it mentally, just couldn't move. He had beef bones, pizza, and peanut butter throughout the day. He was happy 👍. The last pic was about an hour before he got his shot.

View attachment 2676467

View attachment 2676468

View attachment 2676471

View attachment 2676470
We're so lucky to have dogs! Sounds like a good long life. He was lucky to have you too it sounds like!

View attachment 2676467

View attachment 2676468

View attachment 2676471

View attachment 2676475

Sorry for your loss.

Some say the hardest part of owning dogs is cleaning up the poop. Some say it's the vet bills or the daily walks. Some may even say it's all the chewed up and scratched furniture. But the wisest people know the hardest part of owning a dog is saying goodbye.

The best thing to do is remember the good times you had and always stay happy and positive like the dog you love and don't stop wagging your tail!!!!

Sorry for your loss.

Some say the hardest part of owning dogs is cleaning up the poop. Some say it's the vet bills or the daily walks. Some may even say it's all the chewed up and scratched furniture. But the wisest people know the hardest part of owning a dog is saying goodbye.

The best thing to do is remember the good times you had and always stay happy and positive like the dog you love and don't stop wagging your tail!!!!

Quite true and well said.

I would only add....that as hard as it is, we should be very careful not to let our friends suffer. There is a 'time' that is right and our beloved friends depend on us for that final act of kindness, they can't do it themselves. Sometimes (hopefully not often) a pet is forced to endure hardships that are unnecessary because the owner wants to 'put off' the inevitable.

Yes, let them live every minute of 'quality' life they could possibly have, but when its 'time' do the right thing and help them pass peacefully.

I know all too well how hard that is and it tears my heart out to come here and read these posts. But as @leonard wisely admonishes: Remember the good times.

That is what your faithful friend would want for you.

Last edited:

View attachment 2676467

View attachment 2676468

View attachment 2676471

View attachment 2676475

You did well Sir.

I would only add....that as hard as it is, we should be very careful not to let our friends suffer. There is a 'time' that is right and our beloved friends depend on us for that final act of kindness, they can't do it themselves. Sometimes (hopefully not often) a pet is forced to endure hardships that are unnecessary because the owner wants to 'put off' the inevitable.

Yes, let them live every minute of 'quality' life they could possibly have, but when its 'time' do the right thing and help them pass peacefully.

I know all too well how hard that is and it tears my heart out to come here and read these posts. But as @leonard wisely admonishes: Remember the good times.

Yet it's a felony to give our fellow humans the same measure of dignity and kindness. Sigh. :(

Yet it's a felony to give our fellow humans the same measure of dignity and kindness. Sigh. :(
Depends on what State you live in. But let's not take this off topic.

Thanks for that, @flintknapper. I know I made the right decision, but I have struggled the last two days second guessing myself. Did I miss some symptom that could have led to him getting better? Probably not, but damn, he was jumping up on the couch unassisted two weeks ago 😢.

What really convinced me was the advice from a vet friend over the weekend. He said, “the dog will let you know when it is time, but it is the humans who prolong the decision, and therefore the suffering of the dog, until they are convinced there is no recovery”.

As far as I can tell, Lucky didn’t suffer a bit in the end. He died in a deep snoring sleep. The suffering is all on our side.

Thanks for all the warm thoughts. This thread may be bittersweet, but it it better than the alternative of no dogs.

Pretty damn good therapy too …👍

Thanks for that, @flintknapper. I know I made the right decision, but I have struggled the last two days second guessing myself. Did I miss some symptom that could have led to him getting better? Probably not, but damn, he was jumping up on the couch unassisted two weeks ago 😢.

What really convinced me was the advice from a vet friend over the weekend. He said, “the dog will let you know when it is time, but it is the humans who prolong the decision, and therefore the suffering of the dog, until they are convinced there is no recovery”.

As far as I can tell, Lucky didn’t suffer a bit in the end. He died in a deep snoring sleep. The suffering is all on our side.

Thanks for all the warm thoughts. This thread may be bittersweet, but it it better than the alternative of no dogs.

Pretty damn good therapy too …👍

There is no doubt you made the right decisions. Both in timing and action.

And it was borne of love for your friend.

In Texas we'd tell you: 'You did good'. And you did Sir.

Time will heal the wounds of the heart.

Flint.

My beautiful girl Molly.
She is coming up on 12 yrs old. One of the best things things we did as a family was get her!
I have had a challenging 4 years with some minor mental health issues. I say minor because I feel without her they would have been way worse! She is there loyally all the time to help me out. People who don’t have pets just don’t get it😞.
I really didn’t want a dog, boy was I totally wrong and didn’t realize how much joy and comfort this puppy has brought me in times of need. I have a wonderful wife and kids but she just fills a spot no one else can.

Not looking forward to the day she is gone, she is un-replaceable.

E2B8489F-CDEE-4A5F-9C53-9172422899F8.jpeg

829D46AD-8703-43A4-92F6-A119B07A3F2A.jpeg

F4FF8DD0-F52D-4189-9A32-D94D34F34CE7.jpeg

Last edited:
Not looking forward to the day she is gone, she is un-replaceable.

^^^^

Well....that's just the thing. None of them are 'replaceable' and when/if you decide to bring another furry friend into your life (and I encourage all to do so) it is not to 'replace' one you have lost. NOT even possible.

It's just an opportunity for both of you to begin what will hopefully be a new and happy relationship. Good for you, good for them.

You should enter this relationship knowing that you are setting yourself up for a heartache at some point. We simply outlive our pets in most cases. Their little lives are fleeting, so always remember that and strive to make each day a little bit special for them.

Because in all honesty.....I don't think we deserve them.

^^^^

Well....that's just the thing. None of them are 'replaceable' and when/if you decide to bring another furry friend into your life (and I encourage all to do so) it is not to 'replace' one you have lost. NOT even possible.

It's just an opportunity for both of you to begin what will hopefully be a new and happy relationship. Good for you, good for them.

You should enter this relationship knowing that you are setting yourself up for a heartache at some point. We simply outlive our pets in most cases. Their little lives are fleeting, so always remember that and strive to make each day a little bit special for them.

Because in all honesty.....I don't think we deserve them.

You are 100% correct. AND, there will be another one, no ifs ands or buts about it!

Every creature has a given lifespan and yes our furry friends have too short a one for as strong as we become attached to them.

Molly has the most incredible personality, as do a lot of dogs to their owners. I will know the day has come when that tail no longer wags and those brown eyes don’t burn a hole in you. I will not let her languish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom