Best looking 80 series fender flares (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Toyota made the best looking.
I've bee eyeing the KutSnake flares, I might go that direction.

Kutsnake flares look ok in the end if you get them to fit properly. But it's pretty widely accepted that their fitment is terrible. Be prepared to need to use heat to soften them up and reshape them a bit to get them even close to fitting correctly.

I concur the original Toyota flares are the best for fit (duh!) and looks. If you want a larger flare, take a look at the Fjallasport flares. They are commonly used on Arctic trucks so they have a HUGE flare that would probably look ridiculous on most 80's that don't have super wide 44" tires. But they also have a smaller version of the flare. It's wider than the original but shape and fit seem to be very good from what I've been able to research.

I wanted something different than OEM. These are the Chinese flares from Ebay.
They are made out of the same material as Kutsnake but they are hard to fit though. Same way with Kutsnake. I Rinolined them and I am happy with the outcome. If I wanted OEM flares, I would have left the originals on the truck. (This is an LX an I wanted to get ride of the plastic body cladding and the flares were part cladding)

20210315_171326.jpg

They are made out of the same material as Kutsnake but they are hard to fit though. Same way with Kutsnake. I Rinolined them and I am happy with the outcome. If I wanted OEM flares, I would have left the originals on the truck. (This is an LX an I wanted to get ride of the plastic body cladding and the flares were part cladding)

View attachment 2663154
Who makes that rear bumper, that is cool looking!

Kutsnake flares look ok in the end if you get them to fit properly. But it's pretty widely accepted that their fitment is terrible. Be prepared to need to use heat to soften them up and reshape them a bit to get them even close to fitting correctly.

I concur the original Toyota flares are the best for fit (duh!) and looks. If you want a larger flare, take a look at the Fjallasport flares. They are commonly used on Arctic trucks so they have a HUGE flare that would probably look ridiculous on most 80's that don't have super wide 44" tires. But they also have a smaller version of the flare. It's wider than the original but shape and fit seem to be very good from what I've been able to research.
Reynir Jonsson corresponds with good English (as apposed to when I got my original set of flares years ago), and has been helping me get some replacement pieces for some pieces I banged up. When I got my set they went by the name formverk, but I guess its fjallasport now

here’s his email contact info
reynir@fjallasport.is

7124AB31-A494-4D3A-946E-8B5290D6C57E.jpeg
10031437-01C8-4FFD-8B70-43CB42E181AD.jpeg
5B2E4819-0431-424D-9F5E-ABB4ED2FA6A1.jpeg

Last edited:
Reynir Jonsson corresponds with good English (as apposed to when I got my original set of flares years ago), and has been helping me get some replacement pieces for some pieces I banged up. When I got my set they went by the name formverk, but I guess its fjallasport now

here’s his email contact info
reynir@fjallasport.is

View attachment 2666417View attachment 2666418View attachment 2666419
Yeah those are the big flares from Fjallasport. They have a smaller version that would work on most 80s with 35-40" tires.

View attachment 2663154

I can't be sure from the picture... are these a little wider than the OEM flares? Seems like the older ones these were copied from were a bit wider than stock. I have a couple of '80s with damaged OEM flares. I like the look of the factory flares and I have sets I could swap on, but since these two particular rigs see a lot of trail time I am kinda thinking to keep my extra OEM sets for more street bound rigs. And a tiny bit of extra width on the flares would not be a bad thing either.

Mark...

I can't be sure from the picture... are these a little wider than the OEM flares? Seems like the older ones these were copied from were a bit wider than stock. I have a couple of '80s with damaged OEM flares. I like the look of the factory flares and I have sets I could swap on, but since these two particular rigs see a lot of trail time I am kinda thinking to keep my extra OEM sets for more street bound rigs. And a tiny bit of extra width on the flares would not be a bad thing either.

Mark...

They are pretty close to OEM. Nice thing, they don't cost $1k plus shipping. If I accidentally bump a tree on a slippery trail, no tears shed. I replace the whole set for about $300.

They are pretty close to OEM. Nice thing, they don't cost $1k plus shipping. If I accidentally bump a tree on a slippery trail, no tears shed. I replace the whole set for about $300.

Yep, that was my thinking too. I hate the idea of using up perfect OEM parts due to trail damage (which is gonna happen) on a rig which already has a bit of "character" anyway. ;)

Were all OEM fender flares on 80 series cruisers the same width? It might be my imagination, but it seems like some models (like HDJ80s) had flares that weren’t quite as wide as those on FZJ80s in the states.

In the US, the '90-'91 FJ80s had a slimmer flare than the '93-'97 FZJ80s. The non-US '80s that I have seen personally had the slimmer fender too.

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom