Our 1976 FJ40 - "Tonto" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Really enjoying your adventures in Tonto. Motivating me to get my engine swap done so I can get back out there. Keep them coming!

I found your Dirt Sunrise videos on You Tube about a month ago and just now found this thread. Great write up and inspiration to save and keep these old Toyota's running! I am a native New Mexican and recognized many areas in your videos while you were in NM. Safe travels to you both and please keep up with the updates.

Update on Tonto. Kelsey started with a pic I took of him and drew his shape for a shirt we're selling. The colors are some of the many colors old Tonto has been painted over the years more or less. We're headed out to live/camp in him for a couple weeks starting tomorrow. Looking forward to putting along in the ol timer.
ACtC-3fOwPhNOLBaL6RcNpNo0PncjYXDwdFoyNt6r0D_WiBVUnpTcEj7gKIj0ia07kJ15J64eoKrhqhNYuwe_lq_DUQ11RHx9NSMUBy1ySq_qfxJ-cgYt-W_6zmXDZ3FKe-dfo5Xh-j3o_iHhtzLQGfvx0H6ng=s915-no

P1010067.JPG

Your FJ40, is it a factory color?

It looks like my first 40, a '73 painted in Rustoleum 'Sand.'
He's a bit of an odd duck. Started out as a mustard yellow soft top 40, then got painted Beige 464 in the 90's and had a factory red hard top added after that. Oh, and the owner chromed anything that was easy to unbolt.

Hey brother! I had a hand in doing those tie rod ends on Tonto in your driveway in Phoenix. That day I learned from you and Kelsey how to do them on my ‘78! Are you guys in town? Let’s try and get together. Tom

Good to see you guys going old school, there is something special about the slower, more relaxed pace of a 40👍 Explored a bit in Kofa last fall but Peace Trail looks excellent as well. Hopefully we will see more adventures in Tonto as well.

Fits right in.

I think that the roll bar on your rig came from a '73? It has like a 45 degree section, with a couple of hot-rolled-angle bolted to the wheel well. Here's mine before I sold it.
Love it! Always cool to see a shirt of ours out in the wild. It must be, it looks exactly like yours. Hard to know where some of these parts came from on Tonto over the years.
Hey brother! I had a hand in doing those tie rod ends on Tonto in your driveway in Phoenix. That day I learned from you and Kelsey how to do them on my ‘78! Are you guys in town? Let’s try and get together. Tom
Hey man, nope. We're up in Northern Nevada working. Then headed to Oregon. Trying to earn some money so we can head off to the next leg of the trip. Hopefully we can catch up next time we make it back through AZ!

Yes really enjoying the old school adventure, different vibe to the whole thing as Kelsey put so well in the vid👍 The journey takes on a different aspect. Nicely done guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom