Builds 1985 JDM 3B Engine Rebuild and Other Stories (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, there are ALOT of good parts in this engine bay that are not going to be used moving forward.

I’ll slowly start tearing the engine bay part soon and post everything up for sale.

Turbo system, loaded cylinder head, IP, injectors, radiator, wiring harness, etc…too much to even list (luckily, all of the work is documented here… so an easy reference).

Everything basically had 2500 miles on them. :( Fawk. This does blow.

ouch. really sucks to see that 3B end like that. All that work and good parts. thats a few threads by different people where rebuilds s*** the bed on different engines. but as you say there should be a lot there in parts to sell on to others, assuming low oil pressure didn't do bad things. probably my imagination but looking at your pics of the crank kinda looks like there may have been cracks in the web beside the main journal starting to show (3rd pic in post 1,166)? either way hope the machine shop steps up

2uz will certainly change the character of this truck, and maybe thats for the best to move on.

Winner, winner, Chicken dinner.

2UZ-FE/H151F/HF2A

(no turbos)
I'm sincerely hoping for a solid, detailed, picture-heavy thread on this... I'll be taking notes. This has, to me, seemed like the eventual logical upgrade to my Troopy.

I agree. Love that little engine. Am also in a similar situation. Although my 3b is running and have a spare, same with the 12ht. The age of these does leave a guy wondering what the next move is.

so it’s gotta be an FT. 😎

With reflection, I would not repower this truck. Sell it. The RHD is a major problem. It's always going to be weird and sub-optimal. I would find a LHD truck of any type (60, 62, 80) and spend your efforts there. While the 2UZ sounds great, the effort to get from "possible" to running truck is a lot. But an 80 would serve your purpose and not be a huge effort. And you know the platform. I assume you'd like to do a spring trip next year. You're not doing that with what you have.

Let's face it, an 80 with a modern GM motor (5.3, 6.0, 6.2) would be the perfect truck for what you want to do. I'd head in that direction because a RHD 70 is as primitive as an FJ40. And with RHD, a pain in the ass.

<snip>a RHD 70 is as primitive as an FJ40. And with RHD, a pain in the ass.

Andy, with all due respect, that's the point. I love mine.

This is why I sold a built Turbo FZJ80 to buy a 40... something about a 'primitive' truck that nothing else has

Hi, does this mean I'll be able to tow my raft with the 70? I know bad wheelbase for towing and blah blah blah but wouldn't it be fun?

PXL_20210501_233523248~2.jpg

Pic for reference. Thanks for considering and have a good night.

Hi, does this mean I'll be able to tow my raft with the 70? I know bad wheelbase for towing and blah blah blah but wouldn't it be fun?

Not towing the raft long distance with the 70. It's not heavy but expecting a short wheel base, light duty truck to tow anything is a mistake.

Stick to your 100 series.

With reflection, I would not repower this truck. Sell it. The RHD is a major problem. It's always going to be weird and sub-optimal. I would find a LHD truck of any type (60, 62, 80) and spend your efforts there. While the 2UZ sounds great, the effort to get from "possible" to running truck is a lot. But an 80 would serve your purpose and not be a huge effort. And you know the platform. I assume you'd like to do a spring trip next year. You're not doing that with what you have.

Let's face it, an 80 with a modern GM motor (5.3, 6.0, 6.2) would be the perfect truck for what you want to do. I'd head in that direction because a RHD 70 is as primitive as an FJ40. And with RHD, a pain in the ass.

It’s all good when it is not your 💰 but when it is, the story is different. I am sure if Onur has an unlimited budget here he may pick something else beside the 2UZ. You might also consider it fell in his lap? 🤷🏼‍♂️ And it will rock!? 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

Oh and @Onur with a Chevy V8 in his Cruiser!? You’re trippin’ or don’t know the man at all! 😂

He is quirky too, kind of like a 1985 JDM s/t SWB 70. 😉

It’s totally doable and not that massive of a project especially if you have all the wiring. Ya it may take him awhile but in the end he will have a better Cruiser.

Cheers

I'm not giving up on the SWB 70. Love it. It's a utilitarian and anachronistic vehicle in a time of blaaaah vehicles.

Getting into and 80 series or a 100 series is a joke right now with artificially inflated prices.

The fact remains, I have a toast engine that will cost more money and time to replace. On a 40 year old engine design. Man, that's just a bad idea. I have no qualms about replacing it. I'm going to strip the block and drop it into the machinist's pool one night. :lol:

The 2UZ option makes sense to me. Parts availability is great. It's a modern engine with modern power. The electrical is not daunting if you have the entire harness and the necessary ECUs (which I do). All the 24v stuff will be removed and the entire truck converted to 12v. That's not too bad either.

I'm just trying to get you back on the road in a Land Cruiser fast and to examine alternatives. That's why I recommended you not start the repower project for a few months and allow time for reflection and thought. The 70 is cool but the effort to make this swap happen is huge and in the end, you'll still have a small SWB RHD vehicle that won't be safe to drive at the speeds the 1UZ will make possible.

Where as a running different truck is ready to go on a trip almost immediately. Heck you could borrow Kris' 100 and join us in Utah later this week. In fact that's what I would do. Leave today, Meet in Needles district or Bear's Ears. We can discuss all of this around the campfire.

Of course you do. And I would love one too as an upgrade to my FJ40. But like you, it's would be a 4th or 5th vehicle. Where down time or alternatives are no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom