Builds Cruisermatt's FJ62 Build-up (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I decided to try something wild and saw these sweet 70 series JDM mirrors new on eBay Japan. So I drilled some holes in my fenders and went for it. Going for the full JDM look. They're a little tall but I think I like them. Next I want to source some clear turn signal housings.

I also towed 7k lbs yesterday. It went pretty well actually. I would have liked a little more power, but it's not like this is a real tow vehicle

D194C097-B41D-4690-95FB-1B8797C28256.jpeg
B657605D-AD1B-4EBC-8707-8E2F0B470102.jpeg
9BA8F68F-9EBE-4677-BCE8-959492006EE5.jpeg

I decided to try something wild and saw these sweet 70 series JDM mirrors new on eBay Japan. So I drilled some holes in my fenders and went for it. Going for the full JDM look. They're a little tall but I think I like them. Next I want to source some clear turn signal housings.

I also towed 7k lbs yesterday. It went pretty well actually. I would have liked a little more power, but it's not like this is a real tow vehicle

View attachment 2663060View attachment 2663061View attachment 2663062
🤘😁🤘

Those 37"s and wheels just look right on a 62. I may have to copy that look. Backspacing is perfect. Hubcaps really finish it off too.

How necessary was the front inner fender trimming to get those to clear? What size bump stop extensions are you running?

How necessary was the front inner fender trimming to get those to clear? What size bump stop extensions are you running?

Very necessary, umm what are bump stops? :lol:

my front axle is 2.5” forwards from stock so your results may vary, before I reversed my spring eyes I didn’t really have any crazy rubbing with the 35’s (and 3.5” wheelbase stretch) so it’s definitely the 1.5” lower ride height that made the clearance difference. I’m really liking the low stance though.
I have another 62 in my shop now that has OME heavy/heavy, MAF shackle reversal and 33’s and my truck is the same height on 37’s

Very necessary, umm what are bump stops? :lol:

my front axle is 2.5” forwards from stock so your results may vary, before I reversed my spring eyes I didn’t really have any crazy rubbing with the 35’s (and 3.5” wheelbase stretch) so it’s definitely the 1.5” lower ride height that made the clearance difference. I’m really liking the low stance though.
I have another 62 in my shop now that has OME heavy/heavy, MAF shackle reversal and 33’s and my truck is the same height on 37’s

I am a big fan running small lift/big tires. I've seen SOA 60s with like 5-6" of total lift on 37"s and they get dangerously tippy with anything off camber. I also wheeled with a 60 on 39"s that had minimal lift (but some pretty massive bump stops) and he crawled up everything with minimal effort. Wasn't even locked half the time. Massive tires more than offset a loss of articulation.

You can have a lot of articulation without a lot of lift. It’s all about how it’s built

Looks great Matt! Love the steelies look. Wicked. Interested in the “fix” to get steelie caps on.

Had a few hours on Saturday so I finally got my ram-assist on. Drilled and tapped the box myself.
Doesn’t feel like I have any more assist driving it around on the street and the steering is kinda slowed up now, and it definitely put a damper on the nice return-to-center I had with my 5-degrees of positive caster. PSC thinks my pump doesn’t flow enough. I may play with another pump swap but I don’t have time before the next two wheeling trips (relic run and GSMTR). After this GSMTR I’m going to have the roof rust fixed up and that will probably devolve into a whole paint job. Probably retire this truck from serious wheeling after that and start working on my 40.

B068497B-30DA-487D-926A-DA0C14653186.jpeg

275D088C-5974-496B-B8C5-B12D07211E5E.jpeg

F4CBEECE-0BA0-4DDE-8F1F-DF122B2D46C9.jpeg

Had a few hours on Saturday so I finally got my ram-assist on. Drilled and tapped the box myself.
Doesn’t feel like I have any more assist driving it around on the street and the steering is kinda slowed up now, and it definitely put a damper on the nice return-to-center I had with my 5-degrees of positive caster. PSC thinks my pump doesn’t flow enough. I may play with another pump swap but I don’t have time before the next two wheeling trips (relic run and GSMTR). After this GSMTR I’m going to have the roof rust fixed up and that will probably devolve into a whole paint job. Probably retire this truck from serious wheeling after that and start working on my 40.

View attachment 2683399

View attachment 2683401

View attachment 2683403
What are your thoughts on the pump?

If I recall correctly “on paper” the GM pump is better than the 1fz pump, but it sure feels weaker. It flat out sucks balls with 37s. For me anyway.

I have a 2016-2020 Duramax CBR style pump that I thought would be pretty good but PSC says they only flow like 2GPM. Stock LS style P-pump should be about the same.

Update on my DIY reverse-eye leafs. About 2500 road miles, and a trail ride weekend which including a 2ft jump, no issues or sagging yet.

I did have a little accident on the trail in North Carolina so the truck has been parked for the last two weeks or so, just haven't had time to work on it. But it's getting a fresh bumper, new headlight buckets, new LED headlights, new winch mount, new ram assist hoses, and a new hydroboost and brake MC. Everything is here I just need some time :rolleyes:

Update on my DIY reverse-eye leafs. About 2500 road miles, and a trail ride weekend which including a 2ft jump, no issues or sagging yet.

I did have a little accident on the trail in North Carolina so the truck has been parked for the last two weeks or so, just haven't had time to work on it. But it's getting a fresh bumper, new headlight buckets, new LED headlights, new winch mount, new ram assist hoses, and a new hydroboost and brake MC. Everything is here I just need some time :rolleyes:
Cool the leafs are holding up. I didn’t not expect that to be honest.

I saw your accident posted on YouTube. Glad you and the truck are okay. Any more ideas about what happened exactly? It looked like it got out of your control in just a split second.

Cool the leafs are holding up. I didn’t not expect that to be honest.

I saw your accident posted on YouTube. Glad you and the truck are okay. Any more ideas about what happened exactly? It looked like it got out of your control in just a split second.

This may sound strange but I have so much trail riding in this truck that I may have got a bit complacent in terms of paying close attention to exactly what I am doing behind the wheel, but looking back I am fairly sure that I was in 3rd instead of 1st by mistake and when I did use the brakes (my new more powerful 5th gen 4runner brakes as well) i managed to stall the truck (normally my 100:1 gearing I'm easily able to push through the brakes in 1st), and that stall shudder popped my 203 out of gear (which has happened twice before over the last five years). So instant neutral and motor off, no power steering or power brakes. I had done a trail repair on a brake hose the day before as well so I probably didn't have 100% brake pressure either. Manual brakes are not effective with 37" tires rolling downhill on a 30% grade. :lol:
So yeah. Culmination of a lot of factors all at once. all avoidable. But I learned from it and me and truck are ok.

on the way home from that trip I blew out both rear u-joints for some reason, I couldn't figure why. A few days later when I was under the truck I found that my entire powertrain had pushed itself more an INCH forwards from the impact!! I guess that messed with my driveline angles enough to instantly wear out U-joints.

This may sound strange but I have so much trail riding in this truck that I may have got a bit complacent in terms of paying close attention to exactly what I am doing behind the wheel, but looking back I am fairly sure that I was in 3rd instead of 1st by mistake and when I did use the brakes (my new more powerful 5th gen 4runner brakes as well) i managed to stall the truck (normally my 100:1 gearing I'm easily able to push through the brakes in 1st), and that stall shudder popped my 203 out of gear (which has happened twice before over the last five years). So instant neutral and motor off, no power steering or power brakes. I had done a trail repair on a brake hose the day before as well so I probably didn't have 100% brake pressure either. Manual brakes are not effective with 37" tires rolling downhill on a 30% grade. :lol:
So yeah. Culmination of a lot of factors all at once. all avoidable. But I learned from it and me and truck are ok.

on the way home from that trip I blew out both rear u-joints for some reason, I couldn't figure why. A few days later when I was under the truck I found that my entire powertrain had pushed itself more an INCH forwards from the impact!! I guess that messed with my driveline angles enough to instantly wear out U-joints.
Wow, that’s pretty crazy about the drivetrain shifting. Makes sense though. The frame and everything else are alright? Seeing that accident makes me really want an arb bumper now. I have mule deer here in Colorado that like to go hunting for front valences and windshields at night.

I’ve been working on setting up my friend’s hot rod truck with a big PWM-control brushless fan from a Mercedes sedan (most German cars from about 2005-up have these sophisticated fan setups) and realized my Land Cruiser could benefit from something like this as well!
So I went to the junkyard and grabbed this fan, the shroud dimension is 27x16 so should work on the 60 rad.
It’s from a 2007 CLK350 as well as several other 2001-2005 models, it’s a 19” blade, and 600watts (!!!) (for reference, a super high-end 16” Spal fan is like 350watt max, I think my Ford fans should be about 150 watt each).

I happily paid my $28 to the junkyard.

Ordered up a $13 PWM frequency generator with a dial-based duty cycle control and made it spin.
And it’s insane.
On full blast with it sitting flat on the floor it takes considerable effort to lift it off. Like 45-50 lbs force. It tore a thick paper towel to complete shreds. I’m going to see if it slices a Slim Jim next.

Anyways, excited to get this installed and do some testing. The goal is to be able to leave it on a low duty cycle and still use a ECU fan trigger output to relay the power (need to find a big relay, like 55-60amp), and have the controller in the center console or under the dash and be able to turn the speed up on the fly for hot dusty trail situations.

View attachment 2600095
So is this a brushless motor? How many wires come off of it? Its really 19"?

So is this a brushless motor? How many wires come off of it? Its really 19"?

Yes. It is a 600wt brushless motor. Yes it is a 19" blade. it has four wires. Power, ground for the motor, and signal and ground for the controller. I got it working well in my friends 72 C10 I did a turbo LS + 4l80e swap in earlier this year. This is not the CLK fan, its a E320 fan, same motor/blade but bigger shroud that fit the C10 rad perfectly. Used a I/O on the Terminator X and created a simple linear Duty Cycle/CTS chart. pretty straight forwards but it took a few tries to figure out that the duty cycle to fan speed relationship was actually backwards from what you would think, 90% duty cycle to turn it on, ramping down towards 10% to get it to max speed speed, anything less then 10% shuts it back off again fan off. I think the frequency I used was 12hz but I think anything from 10-15hz works for these types of fans generally.

187554054_2247316155404161_3489136956364936093_n.jpg
188074071_2247316138737496_5612081099834811530_n.jpg

Yes. It is a 600wt brushless motor. Yes it is a 19" blade. it has four wires. Power, ground for the motor, and signal and ground for the controller. I got it working well in my friends 72 C10 I did a turbo LS + 4l80e swap in earlier this year. This is not the CLK fan, its a E320 fan, same motor/blade but bigger shroud that fit the C10 rad perfectly. Used a I/O on the Terminator X and created a simple linear Duty Cycle/CTS chart. pretty straight forwards but it took a few tries to figure out that the duty cycle to fan speed relationship was actually backwards from what you would think, 90% duty cycle to turn it on, ramping down towards 10% to get it to max speed speed, anything less then 10% shuts it back off again fan off. I think the frequency I used was 12hz but I think anything from 10-15hz works for these types of fans generally.

View attachment 2729555View attachment 2729556
Thank you. I wanted to make sure. My mechanical fan just doesn't see to be keeping my motor cool at idle with the AC on when at a complete stop for a while. So I am pondering my options.

Thank you. I wanted to make sure. My mechanical fan just doesn't see to be keeping my motor cool at idle with the AC on when at a complete stop for a while. So I am pondering my options.

I would really like to do one of these Euro fans in the Cruiser however I don't really see any good option to control it properly other then a good standalone ECU. Hence why I have sidelined this project until I go Terminator X on this truck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom