What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (98 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah this was about 2 years. Stopped at a red light and another 5th gen 4Runner plowed into me doing 50mph+. Never even touched the brakes. Drunk, 3x over the legal limit. I don't even remember the impact but when I came to, I remember being on top of the center console, the impact was so violent "I think" it knocked me out of the seatbelt.

The second impact is what caused the head injury. I didn't know it at the time, but the truck was still rolling across a big intersection and hit a light pole. That knocked me into the windshield, also tore off the rearview mirror with my head. You can see how high the blood splatter is, right above the infotainment system. I was pretty much up in the dashboard when the truck finally stopped.

The point of all this. If you're driving a car from the 90s, you're probably gonna die anyways in a violent collision. Every single airbag went off. Modern cars really are marvels of engineering despite feeling cheap and plasticy. So might as well mount flashlights in all the places :)

LlbWlLDh.jpg
The 120 4Runner has been essentially structurally unchanged since 2003 when it was released. Meaning it was designed in the late 90s.

So little report back on this one.

ECBF060D-7EF2-417A-A999-045B33446A87.jpeg
906325D7-F4E9-4C27-BA9D-99BB940EA6B1.jpeg

We sent it off to the frame shop earlier this week to get it up on their machine and checked out. It came back today with a straight frame if you can friggin believe that! 😳😳

I was surprised and I am not new to Cruisers or their excellent build quality. The coil and shock tower is obviously toast but we can cut those off and replace. I am 98% sure the front axle is bent and the sector shaft or something is busted inside the steering box. The engine mounts are busted and the engine took out the fuel filter. The RHS tire came up into the inner fender and damaged it slightly. That is the extent of the damage we see at this time. I do believe it’s getting fixed.

Cheers

So little report back on this one.

View attachment 2661666View attachment 2661667

We sent it off to the frame shop earlier this week to get it up on their machine and checked out. It came back today with a straight frame if you can friggin believe that! 😳😳

I was surprised and I am not new to Cruisers or their excellent build quality. The coil and shock tower is obviously toast but we can cut those off and replace. I am 98% sure the front axle is bent and the sector shaft or something is busted inside the steering box. The engine mounts are busted and the engine took out the fuel filter. The RHS tire came up into the inner fender and damaged it slightly. That is the extent of the damage we see at this time. I do believe it’s getting fixed.

Cheers

Good to hear the positive prognosis Doc. Another 80 series will live on.

I still want to know if this was a theft gone wrong or highschool kid joy ride lol.

You are absolutely incorrect and it is truly not even close. 25-30 year old cars are not even in the same ball park as new cars when it comes to safety, ladder frame or not.

That said, the comment that you will absolutely die in a serious collision with a 90s car is simply not true either.
In 1976 I was about to enter a night club when 2 cars hit head-on on the highway right behind me. They were both going 70 miles per hour on impact. One was a 72 Vega and the other was a 57 Chevy. Right away you would think that the people in the Vega were crushed. Not true. Although injured badly, they both lived. Of the three guys in the 57 Chevy, the back seat passenger and the drives side passenger lived although also badly injured. The driver of the 57 Chevy died. The steering wheel broke off and the steering column crushed his chest. He died right in front of me. There was nothing I could do. Even by 72, cars had become safer with improved collapse zones and you could see it by how the passengers were affected and by how the vehicles protected them. They have continued to improve every decade. As a general rule, the newer the vehicle the better your chances of survival. If you have any doubts, talk to a guy who has worked for a wrecker company for many years or an EMT.

Last edited:
.They have continued to improve every decade. As a general rule, the newer the vehicle the better your chances of survival.

This is a good video, 1998 vs 2015 crash safety technology

Modern safety wins 95% of the time in major accidents. Old school tanks win 95% of the time in fender benders and less catastrophic accidents.

Safety testing doesn't lie, no older vehicle can do what a modern vehicle does in a real doozy of an accident. Older cars are built to be strong cars (in some cases), but modern cars are built to be disposable in preservation of their occupants. There will always be the one-off scenario, but if I'm going to be t-boned at 60mph, I'll take my DD over the clunker.

Modern safety wins 95% of the time in major accidents. Old school tanks win 95% of the time in fender benders and less catastrophic accidents.

Safety testing doesn't lie, no older vehicle can do what a modern vehicle does in a real doozy of an accident. Older cars are built to be strong cars (in some cases), but modern cars are built to be disposable in preservation of their occupants. There will always be the one-off scenario, but if I'm going to be t-boned at 60mph, I'll take my DD over the clunker.
Ditto. Despite their age, land cruisers are very stout vehicles and they do *generally* hold up well in collisions, Compared to SUVs and even the majority of smaller cars of today, they are simply not as safe. They transmit much more force to their occupants and lack basically any energy absorbtion zones, but that's the trade for likely being able to drive it home(provided you survive). But they are far from death traps.

On another note, I have been watching some of those POV collision repair youtube videos, and I used to think unibody cars were basically trash once wrecked, but it's pretty incredible how much can be repaired to a high standard on them.

Fabbed up a new license plate mount. With the new swingouts loaded, it’s just a matter of time before I get hartases for obscuring the plate. Decided to get ahead of it.

Started with a stainless plate blank as a backer, and using the existing holes in the @Delta VS rear bumper, I got everything nicely configured. It’s solid.

Last thing to do is snake a new power feed to the LED plate lights. Even got the warm color temp to match the 25yo incandescent bulbs. Very happy with the setup.

F23B6A05-9769-47B1-AB0C-6FA6E3F410C0.jpeg

8C53BFD2-4791-4322-ABD2-2F9D78D79886.jpeg

BC12EDA2-CB3B-4341-8460-A9795437D5A3.jpeg

7792C166-5681-4378-8881-F9E238CABB7F.jpeg

Last edited:
Fabbed up a new license plate mount. With the new swingouts loaded, it’s just a matter of time before I get hartases for obscuring the plate. Decided to get ahead of it.

Started with a stainless plate blank as a backer, and using the existing holes in the @Delta VS rear bumper, I got everything nicely configured. It’s solid.

Last thing to do is snake a new power feed to the LED plate lights. Even got the warm color temp to match the 25 yOverall, very happy with the setup.

View attachment 2662174
View attachment 2662175
View attachment 2662176
View attachment 2662177

What are you using for a license plate light?

Added a better hose for my onboard air system. And a quick disconnect to air up the tires.

31F1DDD6-8056-4667-846C-CD3D381CD633.jpeg

C4506364-C593-4439-AD4A-336EF74BB740.jpeg

E675FD3A-5301-418D-88EE-C370EC5944DD.jpeg

Very cool, I am going to try and find some of those.
$2.95 a piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom