What is everyone doing for fishing pole storage/transportation (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

View attachment 1216739 If you look closely, you will see a plywood cross bar inside the truck that has several half circles cut on top. This bar allows me to carry surf rods up to 10'6" inside the truck. Tight lines...

How do you get a 10'-6" rod in your 100?

I couldn't part with $500++ for a roof top fly rod & reel case so I, like most of you, did a little searching and found a great idea for same, and fabbed my own. Gray electrical conduit, conduit anchors, adapters, caps, 1x2, HDPE, small bolts & nuts and a small tackle box got it done for just a little less than $100.

I'm going to fab one specifically for the 100 for an upcoming trip, as this one is too bulky for the small space, where it needs to mount, next to the awning.

IMG_1411 3.JPG

I pretty much fish bamboo fly rods. They are mostly in thin (1 1/2 to 2") aluminum tubes. I simply bungy to my roll cage.

Wanted to revive this thread to see if anyone has any new/updated ideas or products.

I live in Florida and primarily use a spinning reel and pole setup. It seems most of the commercially available roof top options are for fly rods with the reel at the far end of the pole, but must of our poles will have the reel 6"-9" up from the end. I like the conduit and tackle box set up, but a tackle box deep enough for my reels would be massive.

When I lived in SoCal, used a lot of spinning and conventional reels. Did at least one multi-day trips for albacore, yellowfin and Dorado plus a few day trips for bass, barracuda (Remember the arm length rule!), and bonito. Had a small to medium plastic box and tubular hard cases for inshore and a BIG multi level wood lure box for storage (took two people to carry=heck some of the wahoo jigs & ling cod jigs weighed as much as 3 pounds!

When I had my FJ40, I simply slid them between the roll bar and the roof!

3-4" diameter PVC tube with screw on caps attached to your rack is a pretty popular method in Oz.
This is what I do here in Alaska. It’s water tight, light weight, versatile, and inexpensive. I can U bolt it to my yakama round bar roof rack, bungee it to my hitch tray, put it in the front compartment of my travel trailer,...

image.jpg

View attachment 2652015
I have a Roof Top Tent so threw this together in 20 minutes, pretty happy with it overall but could tweak it a little.
Pretty much how I did mine!! Big Penns really balance well and cleared the crossbars well (Jigmasters, squidders, 4/0, 5/0, etc.).

Reactions: Dox
I have the Inno rod rack, had it since 2009 and no issues with the rack itself but the rubber stays to hold the rods in deteriorated from heat exposure over the years - easy fix. Tucks up high in the 60 series so passengers maintain headroom.
1619104304732.png

1619104419220.png

Great rack for kayak fishing, the cargo area is still open for all of the kayak gear (seat, landing gear, pedal drive, tackle, etc).
1619104694554.png

Last edited:
Wanted to revive this thread to see if anyone has any new/updated ideas or products.

I live in Florida and primarily use a spinning reel and pole setup. It seems most of the commercially available roof top options are for fly rods with the reel at the far end of the pole, but must of our poles will have the reel 6"-9" up from the end. I like the conduit and tackle box set up, but a tackle box deep enough for my reels would be massive.
Riversmith may be making one for spinning outfits now.

Edit-looks like it is Thule, formerly Denver Outfitters that makes them, and another one is made by Peak Outdoors.

Last edited:
I travel with 2 rods rigged for most of the summer, makes it super easy to hop out and get some fishing in when I spot trout rising.

I also see no reason to skimp on keeping a couple thousand dollars worth of rods and reels secure.

Riversmith River Quiver, for 2 rods.

20200729_143521.jpg
20200713_153659.jpg

This is what I do here in Alaska. It’s water tight, light weight, versatile, and inexpensive. I can U bolt it to my yakama round bar roof rack, bungee it to my hitch tray, put it in the front compartment of my travel trailer,...

View attachment 2652019

That is what I'm planning to do also because it is cheap and lightweight.

I use the snowboard rack from Front Runner. No cover, but our rods aren’t anything special and it’s never a long drive. If you roll without a cover or pipe go reel-end forward so the wind doesn’t bend the rods while you drive. I like system but I’m not crazy about the Front Runner brand rack. It works but it’s a little janky. Gotta wiggle it some to unlock and slam it just right to close. I suspect the Rhino brand of the same product might be smoother.

Last edited:
I have a rod vault, and used to use it regularly. But in big metro areas like where I live, they serve as advertisements for the thousands of dollars of fly fishing gear I may have in my truck.

Now I travel stealthily. I don’t even have any fly fishing stickers on this rig...
DB89711C-B7CD-422A-9855-99B74269B585.jpeg
953137AF-92FE-4DF8-8609-EF111AA577C8.jpeg

I don’t leave the rods back there all the time, and the reels stay mounted. You can get those rod cases for under $40 from Cabelas, Sportsman’ Warehouse, etc. I just have to string em up. This way, they are protected and no stress is placed directly on the rod. They are suspended by one of those interior rod holders I customized and mounted to a support bar on the topper. Works great so far with no issues. I may get a rooftop cargo box for my waders and boots (I hate throwing them in the bed), and am planning a platform for the bed to store gear underneath a soft place for me and the dog to sleep.

Last edited:
I only have spinning rods - 2 freshwater, one is 7', the other 6'; and 2 surf rods that break down. I leave the reels on all of the time. These are not expensive rigs compared to some setups, just basic to mid-range rigs.

I put QuickFist clamps on a rack and seat the rods in them - I use the smallest size toward the rod ends/tips, the next size up (about 2-3" diameter?) for the butt end. I cut and sliced some pool noodles to slip on the rods before putting them into the QuickFists. Works beautifully, dirt cheap - just took them over to the Outer Banks and no damage. BTW theft is not a concern of mine as I only have them mounted while traveling.

Anyone using a ceiling storage rack (attic rack) to hold their poles? I really like the Inno rod holder design, but wonder if it would be better suited to have something more versatile if possible.

Another option that I can't seem to find much info on is Inno's "Roof Side" type. Their website doesn't really help out to much in the section and information, but I'd typically only carry a couple poles and like that this is out of the way for my 80.

pic_rodholder13a.jpg

I just used twisted rope on the attic rack and then the two passenger grab handles. Then just slip in regular fly rod tubes that we keep rigged.

FB923E50-6070-4ADF-87C6-FD6C38DEC579.jpeg
BBFF1879-5A9C-4FE4-AA14-E9BFC7777237.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom