SAS Solid Axle Summit #5 Official Thread (8 Viewers)

Color Choices for SAS #5 Shirt and Trail Flags

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I hear that! I've had a severe case of while-I'm-in-thereitis the past month. I’ve been missing the cruiser. Looks like my shakedown will be the run up to Choccolocco for the ACC reunion. You still going to make it?
Still planning on it. My wife made me promise to get the brakes done before I go wheeling again. Out of town the rest of this week so I have to get them done next week.

I am going to lead an OVERNIGHT WHEELIN'-N-HIKIN' run on the ALPINE LOOP this year on Mon. Aug.2-3 up Engineer pass and stop for photos at Odom point, then on down to Nellie creek road, rated moderate, up 3 or 4 miles on this scenic trail with a few water crossings to a nice camp spot where we will set up, and enjoy a good meal and brews with friends around a campfire. Anyone who wants to hike with me must be up for about a 4-mile (1 way) hike to the summit of Uncompahgre Peak, elevation 14,309 ft! The trail starts out mellow and gradually gets real steep at the end where you must climb over loose rocks on a scree slope for a stretch of a few hundred feet, then the amazing views you only get from the top will take over your senses and the feeling is exhilarating! Hikers must be prepared for high altitude, carry water/electrolytes and snacks, use common sense, know your limits and ultimately be responsible for your own actions! We will rise early for coffee and hit the trail @bout 6 am (sunrise @6:17) to summit around 10 have lunch, take pics, enjoy being on top of the world and head down the trail before any storm clouds threaten. trip down will be faster, 2 - 3 hours back to the trailhead. we will finish on cinnamon pass on through Animas forks, then Silverton for fuel, and back to the KOA. HIKIN' Route total mileage is 7.5, about 5-8 hrs. total trip including stops depending on group pace. elevation gain is 3000 ft.- difficulty rating is class 2 (defined as hiking a steep incline, scrambling, maybe using your hands) Risk factors: exposure, route finding and commitment are all moderate with considerable rockfall potential according to 14ers.com • Uncompahgre Peak | Route Description | South Ridge - https://www.14ers.com/route.php?route=unco1&peak=Uncompahgre+Peak Consider using trekking poles, I do, as well as use sun protection, shade hat /sunglasses and carry a lightweight rain jacket and a small 1st aid kit. This will be a challenging but very enjoyable hike that will create awesome memories!

Gabriel 🚙 🌲🌜🔥

Last edited:
I am going to lead an OVER NIGHT WHEELIN'-N-HIKIN' run on the Alpine loop this year on Mon. Aug.3-4, up Engineer pass and stop for photo's at Odom point, then on down to Nellie creek road, rated moderate, up 3 or 4 miles on this scenic trail with a few water crossings to a nice camp spot where we will set up, and enjoy a good meal and brews with friends around a campfire. Any one who wants to hike with me must be up for about a 4 mile hike to the summit of Uncompahgre peak, elevation 14,309 ft! The trail starts out mellow and gradually gets real steep at the end where you must climb over loose rocks on a scree slope for a stretch of a few hundred feet, then the amazing views you only get from the top will take over your senses and the feeling is exhilarating! Hikers must be prepared for high altitude, carry water/electrolytes and snacks, use common sense, and know your limits and ultimately be responsible for your own actions! We will rise early for coffee and hit the trail @bout 6 am (sunrise @6:17) to summit around 10 have lunch, take pics, enjoy being on top of the world and head down the trail before any storm clouds threaten. trip down will be faster, 2 - 3 hours back to trail head. we will finish on cinnamon pass on through Animas forks, then Silverton for fuel and back to the KOA. HIKIN' Route total mileage is 7.5, about 5-8 hrs. total trip including stops depending on group pace. elevation gain is 3000 ft.- difficulty rating is class 2(defined as hiking a steep incline, scrambling,maybe using your hands) Risk factors: exposure, route finding and commitment are all moderate with considerable rockfall potential according to 14ers.com • Uncompahgre Peak | Route Description | South Ridge - https://www.14ers.com/route.php?route=unco1&peak=Uncompahgre+Peak Consider using trekking poles, I do, as well as use sun protection, shade hat /sunglasses and carry lightweight rain jacket and a small 1st aid kit. This will be a challenging but very enjoyable hike that will create awesome memories!

Gabriel 🚙 🌲🌜🔥
Pencil me in....

Definitely have some great photos of what won me the Carnage award :D
EDIT, wait, was that me or @Manitou Decline , can’t remember now
I definitely broke a bunch of parts though.

Also a pic of the Iron Butt banner on the Bridge at Rubicon Springs :D
I should have a few pics to share: Fuel can + drive shaft, Denting a door, Swapping a bell-housing in a campsite.

I should have a few pics to share: Fuel can + drive shaft, Denting a door, Swapping a bell-housing in a campsite.

Don’t forget the broken crosspin on the last day. (Imogene I think?) I swear I really don’t know how this one happened.

08AAFDBB-4C8D-496A-8446-B59F8483C4BB.jpeg

A221BBEB-92CF-4FFE-8FD4-C8892191CA39.jpeg

8D55BBAA-6EA9-4BA6-A777-6BCA3EDFF09E.jpeg

I am going to lead an OVER NIGHT WHEELIN'-N-HIKIN' run on the Alpine loop this year on Mon. Aug.3-4, up Engineer pass and stop for photo's at Odom point, then on down to Nellie creek road, rated moderate, up 3 or 4 miles on this scenic trail with a few water crossings to a nice camp spot where we will set up, and enjoy a good meal and brews with friends around a campfire. Any one who wants to hike with me must be up for about a 4 mile hike to the summit of Uncompahgre peak, elevation 14,309 ft! The trail starts out mellow and gradually gets real steep at the end where you must climb over loose rocks on a scree slope for a stretch of a few hundred feet, then the amazing views you only get from the top will take over your senses and the feeling is exhilarating! Hikers must be prepared for high altitude, carry water/electrolytes and snacks, use common sense, know your limits and ultimately be responsible for your own actions! We will rise early for coffee and hit the trail @bout 6 am (sunrise @6:17) to summit around 10 have lunch, take pics, enjoy being on top of the world and head down the trail before any storm clouds threaten. trip down will be faster, 2 - 3 hours back to trail head. we will finish on cinnamon pass on through Animas forks, then Silverton for fuel and back to the KOA. HIKIN' Route total mileage is 7.5, about 5-8 hrs. total trip including stops depending on group pace. elevation gain is 3000 ft.- difficulty rating is class 2 (defined as hiking a steep incline, scrambling,maybe using your hands) Risk factors: exposure, route finding and commitment are all moderate with considerable rockfall potential according to 14ers.com • Uncompahgre Peak | Route Description | South Ridge - https://www.14ers.com/route.php?route=unco1&peak=Uncompahgre+Peak Consider using trekking poles, I do, as well as use sun protection, shade hat /sunglasses and carry lightweight rain jacket and a small 1st aid kit. This will be a challenging but very enjoyable hike that will create awesome memories!

Gabriel 🚙 🌲🌜🔥
yes Pencil my wife and I in also !

I am going to lead an OVER NIGHT WHEELIN'-N-HIKIN' run on the Alpine loop this year on Mon. Aug.3-4, up Engineer pass and stop for photo's at Odom point, then on down to Nellie creek road, rated moderate, up 3 or 4 miles on this scenic trail with a few water crossings to a nice camp spot where we will set up, and enjoy a good meal and brews with friends around a campfire. Any one who wants to hike with me must be up for about a 4 mile hike to the summit of Uncompahgre peak, elevation 14,309 ft! The trail starts out mellow and gradually gets real steep at the end where you must climb over loose rocks on a scree slope for a stretch of a few hundred feet, then the amazing views you only get from the top will take over your senses and the feeling is exhilarating! Hikers must be prepared for high altitude, carry water/electrolytes and snacks, use common sense, know your limits and ultimately be responsible for your own actions! We will rise early for coffee and hit the trail @bout 6 am (sunrise @6:17) to summit around 10 have lunch, take pics, enjoy being on top of the world and head down the trail before any storm clouds threaten. trip down will be faster, 2 - 3 hours back to trail head. we will finish on cinnamon pass on through Animas forks, then Silverton for fuel and back to the KOA. HIKIN' Route total mileage is 7.5, about 5-8 hrs. total trip including stops depending on group pace. elevation gain is 3000 ft.- difficulty rating is class 2 (defined as hiking a steep incline, scrambling,maybe using your hands) Risk factors: exposure, route finding and commitment are all moderate with considerable rockfall potential according to 14ers.com • Uncompahgre Peak | Route Description | South Ridge - https://www.14ers.com/route.php?route=unco1&peak=Uncompahgre+Peak Consider using trekking poles, I do, as well as use sun protection, shade hat /sunglasses and carry lightweight rain jacket and a small 1st aid kit. This will be a challenging but very enjoyable hike that will create awesome memories!

Gabriel 🚙 🌲🌜🔥
I'd be down to join with a +1!

We are about 3 months away and I have a clean painted frame as of last night. I see a lot of late nights in my future to get this trail ready by August. I am still confident I can do it.

B6E4180B-2FFF-4A87-B71A-AA977C095E28.jpeg

I got a nifty little warning letter about a week ago from the city telling me my "Camo Jeep" needed to be off the jackstands by May 10th or they will "take action." Given the other shenanigans going on in my neck of the woods I would usually buck this type of response, but I needed the kick in the pants. Thus far it's resulted in a finished cut and turn, front re-gear and ARB, and a little gusseting. Driveshafts, rear axle swap, brakes, one little linkage, a windshield, and the all important AC are "all" that remains.:rofl:. In all seriousness, I'm pushing like mad to have the whole project to DD status by May 15th.

@Tank5, I'm really looking forward to seeing how our UZ install solutions compare. There were so many little details that could be done differently and still execute well. @ryaneddy16 has one in the works as well so maybe we can shed some light that can help his project.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom