What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (60 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You mean like this? My first wheeler, loved that truck!

View attachment 2647919
😍

My first offroad rig was an '84 longbed. Best wheeler I've owned aside from the 20r trying to stall out when you point it up too steep of a hill. :eek: Awesome camper too. I sold it when I married into a kid and needed more than two seats, but damn I would like another.

Lots of spring snow up in the Sierra with lots of Big uproot/blow overs on back roads..Doug firs...lucky there is a bypass trail up ridge but lots of melting snow made travel tricky at times
36096416-FB17-49B0-93FB-0450BF6363C3.jpeg
E87CA5DC-D5C8-49C5-9063-9A818290464C.jpeg
0BE75F96-1BB1-43BB-86B6-D2FD941E44FA.jpeg

I have been out of the mountain bike game for a really long time. What frame is that? The headtube angle looks incredibly slack.

2020 Stumpjumper Evo. Trail bike with a 63° head angle. I did a 17 mile back country ride before dropping into the fun stuff at the end.
E8AAF7C4-E01C-44C7-B719-1C36C3941289.jpeg

8382CAD3-3501-42E0-A987-1E37D66FE074.jpeg

7A282415-5A11-441D-9330-A93230BF858B.jpeg

My rig eats it's own dust so bad. I will be the only one on the road and the truck just fills up with dust. If I have a tailwind it is super bad.

So today I decided to dig in and investigate, I had a trailer wiring harness to install anywase.

The body around the taillights was smashed up a little in this rigs last life and the rear fenders were also trimmed when this rig used to run 37"s. I figured this is where I would start my investigation.

When I first took possession of this rig I new that I needed to address the trimmed rear fenders that were no longer sealed. I originally got into the rear quarter panels and squirted a couple tubes of liquid nails down into the panels because I figured it would be the easiest way to seal up the trimmed fenders.

Well needless to say the liquid nails decided to crack apart and the fenders are not sealed.... I think I have found the entrance point for all this dust that keeps consuming me every time I hit the dirt.

20210417_171249.jpg

20210417_171319.jpg

20210417_171400.jpg

16187047509616016330518711526702.jpg

How am I going to get these things sealed?

Between the dented folded metal that doesn't fit together and all the truck bed liner on the metal, I am hesitant to try and weld them up. This is why I went with the liquid nails approach in the first place.

Now I am thinking of either trying to clean them really well on the inside then trying again with silicone caulk instead of the liquid nails.

My other thought is to install some aftermarket fender flares. But I have never seen a pair of the aftermarket flares in person and I don't even know if they would seal my rear quarter panels.

Maybe someone who has installed aftermarket flares can chime in?

It never ends......

I doubt a fender flare would really solve the problem. I bet real automotive seam sealer would do the trick though. At least for a good 10-15 years.

I doubt a fender flare would really solve the problem. I bet real automotive seam sealer would do the trick though. At least for a good 10-15 years.

The problem I have now is the fact that there is already a giant bead of cracked liquid nails inside the quarter panels and I have no idea how to get it out.

And coming from the outside I have the bed liner and a 1/4" gap between the two pieces to deal with.

I think I am just going to bite the bullet, grind off the liner, and try to weld the two pieces together.

Or maybe just do a body swap.....

Installed a new antenna, this was a pain. First, there is no adapter for screwing something into the stock unit. Don’t believe ebay.

It wasn’t that hard to get the stock unit out. Take off the top nut with a needle nose and then there’s a bolt in the engine bay that holds the unit in place.

After that it gets difficult. The antenna cable does not come off the stock antenna easily and you can’t plug it into the new antenna.

You can’t just pull the new antenna wire through off the old one as it doesn’t budge. I started taking off the fender to run it through the stock hole but gave up and just ran it through the plug with the engine harness.

View attachment 2647555
Hate to break it to you, but there is, and it’s a breeze to install. 1 minute max. Your’s looks good though.

17018727-76B6-4FE8-B943-94143D662CE0.jpeg

@Blk80inAZ Ive been wrong before and I might be wrong again, but my belt is routed differently. . . and these other ones that I google searched.

View attachment 2648513View attachment 2648514View attachment 2648515View attachment 2648516
WTF .........mine has always been routed this way. Now I must try to reroute the belt and see if everything fits . It’s like finding out you’ve been wearing your underwear backwards your entire life and nobody ever said anything.....

It’s super 1980’s and 90’s. I am old enough to remember.

People rehash styles. I noticed the mullet is making a comeback down in Australia. 🤣

Cheers
Lots of people had the white writing out during the 60s and 70s and I am old enough to remember that too! :)

The problem I have now is the fact that there is already a giant bead of cracked liquid nails inside the quarter panels and I have no idea how to get it out.

And coming from the outside I have the bed liner and a 1/4" gap between the two pieces to deal with.

I think I am just going to bite the bullet, grind off the liner, and try to weld the two pieces together.

Or maybe just do a body swap.....
B3859C9F-9DDE-4F09-AC41-C60D2697BB78.jpeg

WTF .........mine has always been routed this way. Now I must try to reroute the belt and see if everything fits . It’s like finding out you’ve been wearing your underwear backwards your entire life and nobody ever said anything.....
I would still like someone else to weigh in. Just cuz it's on the internet, doesn't mean I'm right. Maybe yours is right and we are all wrong 🤷🏽‍♂️

I would still like someone else to weigh in. Just cuz it's on the internet, doesn't mean I'm right. Maybe yours is right and we are all wrong 🤷🏽‍♂️

Factory sticker (just noticed is on its last leg)
Think Joey might be making these as well? Or just carb cert stickers perhaps Flat pulley is the tensioner.

7CE0C16F-CEC4-4BE7-BF19-9CDD9B92530D.jpeg
96BCB59A-FB8F-4B99-9BA8-A85B7B3F1585.jpeg
95953DD5-F635-4730-8F9B-92E94AD695C9.jpeg

Went to @fourtrax and @4LowandSlow house to lend a hand with whatever they got going on. What really happens is that they are always helping me instead. @Suburbanlegend stopped by for some quick fixes and took a few pics.

We added the Slee 4" caster correction, and Whiteline heavy duty rear sway bar. @2KCruiser had the sway bars in stock, so bought the front and rear.

123_1(1).jpeg

123_1.jpeg

20210418_082756_HDR.jpg

20210418_082823_HDR.jpg

I have DC DS but still have a little vibration 😔. I think its when putting in the new motor mounts. The driver's side looks like it needs to come down an inch (you can see the shadow where the bolt use to be).

20210418_094405.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom