Return of the small pickup? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Perusing Car and Driver articles today I came across this:

Then it recommended this article:

I've been saying for years that the US is primed for a compact pickup that gets great gas mileage, if the US auto consumers are willing to embrace compact pickups like they did in the 70's and 80's. I even envisioned it would likely be a unibody, car-based chassis with a car engine that someone like Hyundai could probably pull off. Although, I was hoping for something more like a Hilux with a diesel motor and a manual transmission. My first car was a '76 Datsun 620 pickup. It was actually kind of a piece of crap but it still got me around in high school and college fairly cheaply, even if it only had a 4-speed that made highway driving slow. Second car was an '86 Toyota SR5 XCAB 2WD Turbo (22RTE). That truck was leaps and bounds ahead of my Datsun with fuel injection, 5-speed, power windows/locks, cruise control and even air conditioning!

Perusing Car and Driver articles today I came across this:

Then it recommended this article:

I've been saying for years that the US is primed for a compact pickup that gets great gas mileage, if the US auto consumers are willing to embrace compact pickups like they did in the 70's and 80's. I even envisioned it would likely be a unibody, car-based chassis with a car engine that someone like Hyundai could probably pull off. Although, I was hoping for something more like a Hilux with a diesel motor and a manual transmission. My first car was a '76 Datsun 620 pickup. It was actually kind of a piece of crap but it still got me around in high school and college fairly cheaply, even if it only had a 4-speed that made highway driving slow. Second car was an '86 Toyota SR5 XCAB 2WD Turbo (22RTE). That truck was leaps and bounds ahead of my Datsun with fuel injection, 5-speed, power windows/locks, cruise control and even air conditioning!
I would totally be interested in an actual compact 4x4 with decent gas mileage . I had an S-10 2WD that I on,he got rid of when I had kids, couldn’t really fit a car seat in there, but that use-case is long gone

Every small pickup got bigger and bigger over the years, so the "small" trucks are not small anymore. I would like a compact 4x4 truck, like from the 70's and early 80's. With up to date drive train.
I had a 1982 Dodge Ram 50 4x4, locking hubs, single cab, manual. Great little truck.

My only complaint about my new Taco is the MPG. Barely over 20.

My wife drives a 94 Toyota Pickup (they didn’t give them names yet as I’m sure you know) that she won’t give up for anything, even when she had a 94 4Runner.

You're still going to drop about 5 mpg going from a Tacoma to a Tundra.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom