What are you working on? (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Working on this little gem to get it running. Was originally purchased in California in the mid-80’s and made its way to Perry County. Hasn’t ran in 4-5 years, but got it to turn over last weekend. It’s an 850 and 4x4, so it should be great for the new property. Going to replace all the fluids, put some fresh diesel in it and see what we can do. Has a front loader, rear tiller and backhoe attachments.
2CF6C5DE-AF2E-4392-8AF0-E89598A8D341.jpeg
0960D3C3-774A-47E5-96FE-73EA34F61A14.jpeg

Working on this little gem to get it running. Was originally purchased in California in the mid-80’s and made its way to Perry County. Hasn’t ran in 4-5 years, but got it to turn over last weekend. It’s an 850 and 4x4, so it should be great for the new property. Going to replace all the fluids, put some fresh diesel in it and see what we can do. Has a front loader, rear tiller and backhoe attachments.
View attachment 2623142View attachment 2623143
So much fun.

I have tractor envy...

Oh this one is funny as hell...not really...not terribly long ago I was hell bent for leather looking for oem splash guards for my 75...to which Gary hooked me up with the ones he had...one remained elusive...I learned to live again without it......soooo as I'm cleaning out the rental garage, does anyone care to guess what I found? Yeap that's right I had them all along....and, yes there's more..I had apparently cleaned them up, albeit, something like 25 years ago...and I had only put them in this garage 10 or so years ago....how do yinz feel about me being the club prez now?...wait, what club is this again?

View attachment 2621317
Your memory isn't gonna get any better, either!!!!!

Bending some tube...
IMG_5163edit.JPG
IMG_5165edit.JPG

I certainly have my work cutout to get a shop setup again.....hopefully soon....I need to run a 220v line for the aircompressor and welder..and probably should do separate 110...pretty sure that the garage outlets are on the same circuit as the living room.

20210331_183923.jpg

Keeping a gas powered chainsaw in working order for the one or two times I use it a year can be a pain. So I picked up a DeWalt 60V 16" cordless model. It did very nicely.

IMG_5177edit.JPG

Keeping a gas powered chainsaw in working order for the one or two times I use it a year can be a pain. So I picked up a DeWalt 60V 16" cordless model. It did very nicely.

View attachment 2635538
Agreed. I have a Ryobi 18v brushless. It's not a lumber jack or professional saw but again the 2 times a year it works. They are light, quiet and no gas smell when finished.

He played bumper cars on the highway with Speed Racer and another unfortunate driver. Speed Racer was under-insured ... classic. At least now he can get a respectable color other than Root Beer Brown. :flipoff2:
Best color ever!

my first foray into residential wiring seems to be a success....decided i had procrastinated long enough on it and jumped in this afternoon...there were no sparks yet either intentional or accidental. the air compressor can be relocated to the new place.
a few 110 outlets on dedicated circuits are next.

welder220v.jpg

my first foray into residential wiring seems to be a success....decided i had procrastinated long enough on it and jumped in this afternoon...there were no sparks yet either intentional or accidental. the air compressor can be relocated to the new place.
a few 110 outlets on dedicated circuits are next.

View attachment 2638619
Not doubting you but curious from the pic what size wire is feeding that outlet for the welder ?

Been busy check out the photo!!! Took the top and doors off the 40, earliest in the year that I've ever done that. Got four or five nice days topless already! It's so much more enjoyable to drive without the top, and she handles much better without all that added weight up high. It's tall enough as is!!!!
And what you see sitting on the engine stand is a 350 Pontiac engine. My son in law has a 72 Lemans sport that has sat for 17 years with a spun rod bearing. He has been talking about the car ever since I met him and I told him a few months ago that I'd pay for an engine rebuild. Took it to Ram's engines in the Reading area and they did a great job on it. Needed another crankshaft but the son in law had one, and the shop had to source another connecting rod. Bored .030" over, cleaned .010" off the heads, put a mild ram air cam in it and every other way freshened it up. I just did the Muncie transmission for it, it's a factory 4 speed car with bucket seats and console. Hoping to have the car running sometime in May there are other things that need addressed too.
Can you tell I've been selling land cruiser parts by what you (don't?) see in the picture?

92EA13B2-C0DC-430C-8D79-C8B53B62A867.jpeg

Can you tell I've been selling land cruiser parts by what you (don't?) see in the picture?

I barely recognize your rafters...maybe I can walk around in there without worrying about banging my head now!

Getting several things done that thankfully I'm not doing myself.

LX450 is getting the exhaust squared away after the rear CAT finally quit. I just had a backup cam, new speakers and a 10" sub installed since the old system was showing it's age and sounded really muddy, The shop informed me that what I thought was a loose hose clamp on the PS cooler I installed last fall was actually a slow leak from me cracking the cooler when I installed the hose fittings (HULK SMASH). New cooler is on it's way and I will have them install and re-bleed the system properly. Then it starts getting stripped down to go out for fresh paint in May.

The cammo truck went in to have the brakes bled and one of the rear calipers had rocks in it. In addition, I had been feeling and hearing a noticeable clunk from the front end when on the trails the past 2 times out and then recently on the road as well, but have been unable to track it down. Once the truck was on the lift it was easy to see that the control arm bushings in front on both sides were completely shot and the sound I was hearing was the inner metal piece on the bushing hitting the metal of the control arms.

New OEM bushings have been ordered as a quick fix. It's hard to say if they will need to be replaced regularly since they were likely original, but I'm looking at the Superior Engineering Hyperflex arms as an upgrade.

I'm still waiting to get some of the fun stuff done, but top priority is getting the front locker working again. Having gotten used to having it and knowing that it does make a difference on the trails at my skill level of driving, I don't like being without it.

Dang, my last post was back in January....
I wish I could say I have been lurking, but I haven't even been doing that. Works been on perpetual overtime and I'm so exhausted not many projects are getting done.

My last post was about working on the Lexus, I finally got the dash painted and few interior trim pieces and have them back in with the new radio all buttoned up, still have some more trim to paint and the GPS and wifi antenna to run for the radio but for the most parts it's done, I even wired up the 7ft CB antenna to actually work with the radio!!

During this time (February-ish), I hadn't driven the 4Runner in a while and I wanted to get it aligned so I scheduled an appointment and drove it to work.

It's been developing a very bad whine from the transmission pump but my old 4Runner did the same thing and was good for quite some time. (More on this relevance of this in a moment)

They did the alignment and it was beautiful, drove it home, was able to do 75 on the highway without fearing for my life.

Well this transmission was not okay with the pump whine (almost like a power steering pump low on fluid, but the fluid was good). I noticed I would have to manual shift it if I wanted to actually start out in first gear. I was about to turn into my neighborhood that was it, transmission gave me 4 neutrals -_- coasted to the front of my house let it cool, then rev'd it out to get it back into the driveway.(I should have played the lotto with my luck).

So it sat for a couple of weeks till a warm day and I dropped the pan to change the fluid and filter. Started it back up, whine is gone, got all forward gears and reverse, yureka! At least so I thought....

I took it for a few trips around my house, shifted great moved good, thought I was good. Had a warm day come up figured I would drive it to work. Did great down the highway at 80, did great going to lunch, got the tires to chirp as I was leaving work, then about 5 miles into my relaxing ride home (weather was nice so I figured I'd roll down the windows, put in some tunes and chill) I was on a slight hill with the cruise control set and the roms spiked..... Killed the cruise control and shifted down, nothing.... That was it, stick a fork in it, she was done. Rolled it to a co-workers house down the street and got a ride home, borrowed a trailer and got it home (it drove itself on and off but the fluid is smoked).

I had planned to do a 5 spd swap in a year or two, well that plan has been give a violent shove forward, along with a crawl box.

Now I just need to find some time somewhere to get the rest of the brown 4Runner out of the garage so I can start tearing into the silver one -_-

Also in my saga of home ownership I has a leak in my basement, thanks again to the previous owners half@$$ work, the half bath he roughed in had a valve start to leak water under a wall that had no other plumbing in it...

Lastly today, my super awesome color Sunset Bronze Mica Tundra (@Cass007 😝) got a little love in the name of brakes, with a little upgrade to the powerstop truck and tow pads and rotors:

Next is tires which I'm not looking forward to that bill either -_-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom