Recovery Mission THIS Sunday (4/11) on Bozeman Pass/Quinn Creek... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I went against my better judgment and took the Tundra, about 7000 GVW, up Quinn Creek today. Just crested the summit and hit an impassible road. She's nose into a snow bank. We dug out the entire underside to alleviate the high-center, but this road is nasty and somewhat steep (steep for this much snow). We should have some warmer temps over the next fews days and I hope that some of the snow is gone by the weekend. My semi-built 100 is still out of commission due to electrical. Think we need at least two rigs....one with a winch and the other for an anchor for the winch truck as there are zero trees around (of course). Traction boards would also be really helpful. It's super greasy/muddy up there along with the snow.

Can anyone help on Sunday the 11th?

Need list:
-at least two or three rigs and one w/ winch (need great offroad tires)
-tow-strap/s
-shackles
-recovery boards
-good ideas to overcome my bad ones

I have:
-shovels
-sand

Were you driving over/through snow before getting stuck? Do you have an approximate GPS location or pin for Google maps? I'm 8-1 for pulling full-size trucks with my SR5 Pickup, but that assumes I can actually get there. Is the truck in a situation where a smaller vehicle with a kinetic rope might be able to get to it?

Were you driving over/through snow before getting stuck? Do you have an approximate GPS location or pin for Google maps? I'm 8-1 for pulling full-size trucks with my SR5 Pickup, but that assumes I can actually get there. Is the truck in a situation where a smaller vehicle with a kinetic rope might be able to get to it?
That's awesome! Yes, driving through snow, but only for about 150 feet. Unfortunately, I don't think kinetic is going to work, at least not initially, due to positioning and snow level. The truck is pointed downhill in the ditch and angled 45 degrees to the road. 45.69323, -110.76673....it's right on Quinn Creek Road just past the summit. There is a communication tower up there along with a bunch of parked rigs and trailers. You could serve as the anchor truck and possibly drag all three rigs out. Best to have multiple recovery/tow straps and/or length if possible.

Last edited:
I'd be willing to help if you have traction boards or chains to fit 35" tires. I have a 12k winch on a heavy 80. I havent upgraded chains yet, I have chains for 33" tires.
I have a snatch block and a couple line extensions.

I'd be willing to help if you have traction boards or chains to fit 35" tires. I have a 12k winch on a heavy 80. I havent upgraded chains yet, I have chains for 33" tires.
Thanks, man! Still trying to line up some traction boards.

I have 4 traction boards you can use, also have a tow strap and you can take a couple of my extra shackles too, you just have to grab them from me in Bozeman and return. I'd love to bring the taco up and put the winch to work but I already have plans with the wife on Sunday.

Thanks, man! Still trying to line up some traction boards.
Update: Have 4 traction boards, extra sand, shackles, and a tow-strap (extras are always good though).

I have 4 traction boards you can use, also have a tow strap and you can take a couple of my extra shackles too, you just have to grab them from me in Bozeman and return. I'd love to bring the taco up and put the winch to work but I already have plans with the wife on Sunday.
I may take you up on that! Secured 4 boards already, but wouldn't hurt to have another set for maximum effort. Are you free tonight or tomorrow (9am or 5pm)?

Are you up for an assault in the morning?

Are you still up for heading out in the morning?

Is anyone else available to help tomorrow? We still need at least one more truck with offroad tires to act as the anchor. Sam has volunteered with his built 80-heavy, so we have a 12k winch. We also have:

2 full sets of traction boards (8 total)
multiple tow-straps
shackles
sand
shovels

Any other ideas or recommendations?

*I'd hate for a Ford to save the day

Last edited:
If anyone wants to join in the fun, meet at the gas station on the corner of Broadway and East Main around 8:05. We will be hitting the road by 8:15. Sam- lets stick to the original plan to start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom