What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (46 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Couple pics from work

IMG_20210410_112905299.jpg

IMG_20210410_112913683.jpg

Replaced the 4 brake hoses on the '73 today. Dealing with each one was some degree of fighting due to rust, age, and maybe non-OEM lines. The front drop hose was the worst and required a pair of vice grips to hold and brace the hose and bracket while cranking away with a plumbing too. Thankfully all the 10 mm flare nuts came loose easily.

IMG_5987.jpg
IMG_5986.jpg
IMG_5985.jpg

Replaced the 4 brake hoses on the '73 today. Dealing with each one was some degree of fighting due to rust, age, and maybe non-OEM lines. The front drop hose was the worst and required a pair of vice grips to hold and brace the hose and bracket while cranking away with a plumbing too. Thankfully all the 10 mm flare nuts came loose easily.

View attachment 2641285View attachment 2641286View attachment 2641287

Trick I used on flare nuts using a cheap HF flare nut wrench is with the flare nut in place clamp a visegrip over it. Smack the visegrip with a hammer. Never had this trick fail. Without the visegrip flare wrench would just expand round nut. Work great when was lucky enough to have a troopy end up in a wrecking yard ten miles away. Simple way to upgrade the old small brake lines in my 65 FJ45.

So Friday and Saturday I got the 4* shims from @orangefj45 Georg at Valley Hybrids installed, and then I took it to town. I went to town on HWY 75, which is a pretty nice road. It seemed much better to me, so I decided to come home on Possum Walk Road, the ultimate road test (ruts and bumps and just generally terrible). So here is the report: YES! CASTER! It makes a difference! I was able to keep a good speed, and the darting, bouncing, all-over-the-place steering was much better. I would think 6* might be even better, but then again, my '07 RAM doesn't handle that road very well either. I'll see what the caster reads once I get the tie rod ends installed, and the new relay rod (the current one is bent) installed. The new leaf spring centering pin from Valley Hybrids is an upgrade, meaning just a tad bit bigger diameter. It required drilling the shims and a few of the springs to a slightly larger diameter, but it wasn't very hard to do. And, the whole setup is much more precisely aligned; the round end of the pin fit the axle plate without any slack, and the nut was a tight fit in the bottom plate too.

20210410_192047_HDR.jpg

And, another small job, I got the taillight rock guards that I painted re-installed:

20210410_192119_HDR.jpg

It's a great weekend so far!! But we still have one day to go!! ;)

Something New is on the Horizon At the Skunk-Works Laboratory this Saturday Evening ........
index999999999999999999999999999999 - Copy - Copy - Copy1.png

Got my passenger door lock fixed, reinstalled and new TEQ keys. Much appreciation to @ToyotaMatt for the help! If anyone needs new keys or locks, he’s your guy. Super helpful and goes the extra mile to take care of his customers.

View attachment 2641280

That
Something New is on the Horizon At the Skunk-Works Laboratory this Saturday Evening ........View attachment 2641634

How much does one of those alternator back covers go for? I have an alternator that is missing one.

That

How much does one of those alternator back covers go for? I have an alternator that is missing one.

PM me please on this

thanks

Got some generic weatherstripping around the doors, didn’t have enough to go around all of it because walmart only had two 8-ft sections. It was used previously in another thread for half doors and i decided to give it a chance. Worked out pretty well going from nothing to something!

MW78348 is the stripping number

088E4702-3E12-4FBE-985C-3635B217B79F.jpeg

Also got a new window regulator i guess youd call it. Had to match the access panel and clean up the rusty old door latch to pretty it up. Wire wheel an some clear coat cleaned up nice almost too nice.

I also changed the valve cover gasket and painted it because it had a leak towards the front end. One down of many many little leaks.

B6FAC20D-A282-4A35-A53F-59D537C4BC66.jpeg

Now that exhaust header looks like i could end up in the hospital if i touch that. JTO sells those 6-1 headers that i got my eye on, i know they arent the best quality but for the <$300 price it seems better to me than what i have at the moment.

Got some generic weatherstripping around the doors, didn’t have enough to go around all of it because walmart only had two 8-ft sections. It was used previously in another thread for half doors and i decided to give it a chance. Worked out pretty well going from nothing to something!

MW78348 is the stripping number

View attachment 2642622

Also got a new window regulator i guess youd call it. Had to match the access panel and clean up the rusty old door latch to pretty it up. Wire wheel an some clear coat cleaned up nice almost too nice.

I also changed the valve cover gasket and painted it because it had a leak towards the front end. One down of many many little leaks.

View attachment 2642623
Now that exhaust header looks like i could end up in the hospital if i touch that. JTO sells those 6-1 headers that i got my eye on, i know they arent the best quality but for the <$300 price it seems better to me than what i have at the moment.
Aussie header, the one in between the frame rails, is on my rig. It the 2F intake manifold perfectly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom