Builds Megadoomer Build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There’s only one real Clarence...

B6930DBC-9707-4104-BD1C-0B5AD1C62595.jpeg

I had a lot of side work this weekend but because 1 was near my pig I stopped by just long enough to make a mess. I was pretty sure the front driver body mount was doodoo. I had to dig in a bit more because the slider is relying on the metal to be good.
20210228_123540.jpg

I had a bandaid on this and it got exceptionally worse in a short time.

So I cut the floor and removed the body mount.
20210228_134823.jpg

I need @bobm to help I think. Hope he has some kicking around.

@bobm is going to help me out. I don't have a break and my body isn't on a rotisserie. I have the driver side jacked up and shimmed with 2x4s. Plus the roll cage is right there in the way, so I'd like one part of the experience to be easy.

@bobm is going to help me out.

How many of us have said that over the years? (Said the guy with rockers, fender patches, body mounts, front floor pans and even door sill covers on his Pig.)

Ron, thanks. I believe all of us has helped each other in many ways, that most in other sections of this forum would never understand!! We are as unique as the Individual Pigs that we drive but still have this common bond, and Brethren that other sections don't have. So it is a group effort 🤔 and enjoy all that have been giving knowledgeable input for years 😉. Especially enjoy 😉😀👍😄 all the Great men and women that I've come to know over the years!! This country needs more of a group like us 🇺🇸. I also hope it continues in this level or higher, and it's Great to see the Yutes ( My Cousin Vinny 🤣) involved.

We pulled the engine and trans out, hopefully for the last time. Decided to address the rear body mounts. They basically were not doing anything. I made some 3/16 plate patches. That whole area is not great so instead of rebuilding the back end I'm going try out corroseal and some paint.

Got a patch cut for the floor and the inside portion of the rocker. Didnt finalize because I wasn't sure how Bob's mount was going to fit the equation. Of course it was sitting on my porch when I got home.

20210313_154551.jpg
20210313_154604.jpg

Boy, almost a month since my last update. I have been working on it but not as much as I would like. I am on a Teams call right now so I thought I'd make an update. I will have to plug in photos later from my phone.

So the pic above of the little patch I made got bigger. And I made an add on piece I was pretty proud of and then we went bigger than that. The BobM mount was helpful but it was not as plug n play as I wanted. I think it is more my floor than Bobs parts. The roll cage is bolted to the floor right at the drain hole and I think the weight of the cage has made the weak metal bow a bit. I was chasing my tail trying to monkey with the body mount. This is why I went with a bigger patch panel.

The rear mounts were terribad too so I made some 3/16 plate pieces to weld back there. Not much to weld too but I might have a fix for that. I am going to do kind of the same thing I did to the rockers and extend that line to the rear lower quarter. The metal there is mostly bondo and rust.

With the drive mount all in and good I was able to put the rocker on and get it welded in place. I took some DOM and some big body washers and made a support piece to smush between the floor bottom and the body mount. I made this thing a few times to get it right and in the end I got the size perfect and never took a pic of it. I assure you it exists and is epic and perfect in everyway.

I cut off all the bendy tabs in the engine bay and filled in a ton of holes in the firewall. Hit it with a bunch of abrasives and put some primer on it :cool:. Not sure what color to do the engine area. I mean black probably but I was entertaining other ideas.

This weekend we are finally ready to clean the underside one last time and apply the under seal. Will also clean the frame up while the body is disconnected with the frame and hopefully get the frame painted too. "I don't know, I don't know if we will have enough time."

I would feel a lot better if I can get the under seal and frame painted. I could put the motor back in for the last time and it will be brake lines and fuel lines and wiring. That is all tinker stuff that Steve will be able to play with while I work myself to death. The side work game has been unreal and I have a hard time turning down the money. I have worked at least 1 day for every weekend this year and in most cases both days. I dont think I will ever be not tired.

Pics soon.

Nice work. You can get lots of rest evenings in South Dakota.

Boy, almost a month since my last update. I have been working on it but not as much as I would like. I am on a Teams call right now so I thought I'd make an update. I will have to plug in photos later from my phone.

So the pic above of the little patch I made got bigger. And I made an add on piece I was pretty proud of and then we went bigger than that. The BobM mount was helpful but it was not as plug n play as I wanted. I think it is more my floor than Bobs parts. The roll cage is bolted to the floor right at the drain hole and I think the weight of the cage has made the weak metal bow a bit. I was chasing my tail trying to monkey with the body mount. This is why I went with a bigger patch panel.

The rear mounts were terribad too so I made some 3/16 plate pieces to weld back there. Not much to weld too but I might have a fix for that. I am going to do kind of the same thing I did to the rockers and extend that line to the rear lower quarter. The metal there is mostly bondo and rust.

With the drive mount all in and good I was able to put the rocker on and get it welded in place. I took some DOM and some big body washers and made a support piece to smush between the floor bottom and the body mount. I made this thing a few times to get it right and in the end I got the size perfect and never took a pic of it. I assure you it exists and is epic and perfect in everyway.

I cut off all the bendy tabs in the engine bay and filled in a ton of holes in the firewall. Hit it with a bunch of abrasives and put some primer on it :cool:. Not sure what color to do the engine area. I mean black probably but I was entertaining other ideas.

This weekend we are finally ready to clean the underside one last time and apply the under seal. Will also clean the frame up while the body is disconnected with the frame and hopefully get the frame painted too. "I don't know, I don't know if we will have enough time."

I would feel a lot better if I can get the under seal and frame painted. I could put the motor back in for the last time and it will be brake lines and fuel lines and wiring. That is all tinker stuff that Steve will be able to play with while I work myself to death. The side work game has been unreal and I have a hard time turning down the money. I have worked at least 1 day for every weekend this year and in most cases both days. I dont think I will ever be not tired.

Pics soon.
You can do it!
Can't wait to see pics of your progress.
We can sleep all we want when we're dead, right?

Fire wall prior to filling holes.
20210402_125138.jpg

...with primer and then painted.

20210402_152537.jpg

20210410_155305.jpg

It's Rustolium grey hammered finish. I will probably put another coat on it. I chose grey because the motor is black and aluminum and thought it might accent well.

Nice color choice. I use that Hammered Grey a lot...not on the Cruiser but on other vehicles. Firewall, rockers and mounts look great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom