72 FJ40 Procar Seat Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Guster

SILVER Star
Threads
Here are some pics from the start of my Procar Pro-90 bucket seat install. Figured there might be some interest in seeing how their adapters mount. 72 FJ40 with a build date of 9/71, had the full passenger side bench seat.

Driver's side bottom
driver-bottom.JPG

Bottom of original driver side seat
driver-orig.JPG

Procar adapter mounted
driver-adapters.JPG

First try I mounted at the middle height setting. That setting was too high, steering wheel touching legs. Will need to grind down the circled tab to be able to mount at lowest height setting.

driver-tab.JPG

driver-installed.JPG

Took apart the bench seat and will be able to use the adapters with some modification.

pass-side-top.JPG

Bolt holes on the side line up
pass-side-rail.JPG

I'll need to drill through the tube to mount the front or weld some tabs to the bottom. I'll use the rest of the bench mount for a center console at some point. The factory mounts are not destroyed if I ever want to go back to original.

procar1.jpg

Without making any bracket changes the passenger side sits a decent amount higher than the driver side.

height.jpg

I think I'm going to cut the adapters at the red line front and back so it rests in the "pan" and then weld to the support tubes, not sure yet. I'll likely also cut the tabs on the seat mounts to get to the lowest seat setting.

pass.jpg

Without making any bracket changes the passenger side sits a decent amount higher than the driver side.

View attachment 2639523

I think I'm going to cut the adapters at the red line front and back so it rests in the "pan" and then weld to the support tubes, not sure yet. I'll likely also cut the tabs on the seat mounts to get to the lowest seat setting.

View attachment 2639526
where did you get these seats and brakets?

where did you get these seats and brakets?

The Procar site:

Seats - Procar Pro-90 Seat | Procar by SCAT | Custom Seating Solutions - https://procarbyscat.com/product/pro-90-series-1300/
Adapters - Toyota Adapters | Procar by SCAT | Custom Seating Solutions - https://procarbyscat.com/product/toyota-adapter/

My plan for lowering the passenger side mount wasn't going to work so I'm likely going to just leave the passenger seat higher for now. If you don't want to hack up the passenger bench seat support I think the best way to get even seat height is a custom support for the passenger seat.

Would you happen to have the measurement of the distance from the outer edge of the slider rails?
Where that line is drawn measures 15 3/4". The mounting tabs below that measure 16 5/8".

Not exactly what I had originally planned but here are what my seats look like installed. If I ever want to go back to original it won't be too difficult. I cut the mounting tabs on the passenger seat so it mounts at the lowest height setting. The driver's side is at the highest setting on the front and middle setting on the back. The passenger seat is about 2.5" - 3" higher than the driver side.

seats.jpg

pass-mount-full.jpg

pass-mount.jpg

I had to cut the tabs to get to the lowest tab setting and it didn't really fit so I had to grind down the round part a bit. Not sure if I did something wrong or lack of quality from Procar but it ended up working out ok.

tab.jpg

Last edited:
Little late to the party here, but Guster how tall are you? Do you find these comfortable? I'm 6'3 and am looking for something a bit more comfortable than the stockers.

Little late to the party here, but Guster how tall are you? Do you find these comfortable? I'm 6'3 and am looking for something a bit more comfortable than the stockers.

I'm not him, but I'm 6'2" and have been enjoying those exact same seats for two or three years now. Much more comfortable than the worn-out factory seats on my '79-built 40.

I'm not him, but I'm 6'2" and have been enjoying those exact same seats for two or three years now. Much more comfortable than the worn-out factory seats on my '79-built 40.
do the bolsters do much to hold you in place?

do the bolsters do much to hold you in place?

Haven't thought about the bolsters much, but yeah, I guess they do. They're not super pronounced, but more noticeable than stock since the stock seats had pretty much zero in the way of bolsters. The seat foam is much more firm and dense than my old stock seats were, and that seems to hold me in place well. The vinyl they use is pretty grippy too.

Haven't thought about the bolsters much, but yeah, I guess they do. They're not super pronounced, but more noticeable than stock since the stock seats had pretty much zero in the way of bolsters. The seat foam is much more firm and dense than my old stock seats were, and that seems to hold me in place well. The vinyl they use is pretty grippy too.
Sounds about perfect to me. Much more bolster than that and you’ll wear them out pretty quick getting in and out of the truck.

I’m sold on the Procar 90s, but I’m struggling to pull the trigger on red color that I think I want or stay black.

92EA6C04-3175-4BE3-A3B4-167132AEF707.jpeg
C5C930B5-3BBC-4791-B458-47CC3F7F81AD.png
F95C4D47-4F35-4ECA-8F27-A0F372A82842.jpeg

I ordered mine from Speedway motors, they had the black vinyl in stock and were running a good deal, jut FYI.

View attachment 2639523

View attachment 2639526
Hey Guster, I’ve got a 72’ and just bought the Procar 90s. I don’t have any of the stock mounts so have to work around fuel tank and tool box. Thinking I’ll just have my own mounts fabricated since I’d have to customize pro cars mounts anyway (and they’re out of stock for a couple of months).

My question is how to mount on the drivers side without losing access to toolbox. Looks like you mounted right to the top of the toolbox so when the lid is hinges the whole seat hinges up? Does this work? Also, I’ve got the original lid but it seems like it just kind of loosely fits on the hinge side and has loose loops on the latch side (as opposed to clasps). Just doesn’t seem like the seat would be very secure.

Other option is to abandon the function of the toolbox and go right over it but I don’t like that as much. Any thoughts / help?

Here is a picture of setup minus toolbox lid.

IMG_6475.jpeg

IMG_6476.jpeg

My question is how to mount on the drivers side without losing access to toolbox. Looks like you mounted right to the top of the toolbox so when the lid is hinges the whole seat hinges up? Does this work?

Hi @JustJay,

I attached the Procar mounts to the mount for the original driver side seat. It works and allows access to the toolbox but I don't think it opens as much as when the original seat was installed.

driver-adapters.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom