TORT: The ONSC Rant Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I check myself out as I'm shopping too, but then I still have to pay for my stuff when I'm done checking myself out. :grinpimp:

Yeah, but the parking lot would be jammed full of people trying to bag their own groceries or just chucking cans of corned beef hash in the back seat.

That's one of my biggest pet peeves, people who think their time is more important than everybody else's. For me, it manifests most when two lanes merge down to one. Pretty sure one day I'm gonna go all "Falling Down" on somebody that blows past a line of cars and expects me to let them wedge in front of me when I have been waiting patiently in line like everybody else. A coworker of mine said that she does that all the time and I told her that she better not try and push her Prius in front of my truck or else we're gonna trade paint. She seemed offended.
I like this. I would say everyone’s time is equally important and that is the challenge for me personally. I know i have lots to work on. I appreciate all the insights and feedback.

Krispy Kreme Donuts made an offer to give a free donut every day to anyone presenting a vaccination certificate. Personally, I wont be running down for a free donut but a cool program by a company trying to do what they can to support folks a year into the pandemic.
Apparently those that are against the vaccination are now claiming that this is discrimination against them.

That is all, I am heading out to see if there is something as idiotic so that I too can find reason to be butt hurt.

I will be selling “certificayes” out of the back of a van down by the river for those anti-vaxer’s. Long live free donuts!!

Our country is addicted to outrage.

Everyone needs to find something to be outraged about it seems like.

I can tell you, I am outraged at all the outrage and the outrage machine. It is truly outrageous.

Our country is addicted to outrage.

Everyone needs to find something to be outraged about it seems like.
Well said. I've just about detached a retina, rolling my eyes at a good portion of the so called "not-offended". It seems all they can do nowadays is foam at the mouth about what is wrong with the world. Hyper-fixated on what is changing; doing ****all about it. Much like the ones they despise.

Krispy Kreme Donuts made an offer to give a free donut every day to anyone presenting a vaccination certificate. Personally, I wont be running down for a free donut but a cool program by a company trying to do what they can to support folks a year into the pandemic.
Apparently those that are against the vaccination are now claiming that this is discrimination against them.

That is all, I am heading out to see if there is something as idiotic so that I too can find reason to be butt hurt.

I was laughing over this one - hey - I won't get the covid, but I did develop pre-diabetes... :)

RANT - I broke a nail modifying the catio.

BIGGER RANT - I wouldn't give a s*** had it not torn half way into my nailbed.

Gratitude - the kitties love their personal porch and it is very very very very cute.
Do you have a pic of your catio? I'm thinking about making one. The commercial ones seem pretty overpriced for essentially wood strips and chicken wire...

Do you have a pic of your catio? I'm thinking about making one. The commercial ones seem pretty overpriced for essentially wood strips and chicken wire...
So I actually went commercial route and modified it. This worked for me as I'm A.) really short on time actually at the house between teaching kiddo 5 days a week and working evenings and weekends and B.) only putting this up for the cat that is terrified of outdoors so I can hopefully transition everyone to outside and C.) It was exact measurements height and width wise that I needed for the space. If I were you, I would have absolutely built from scratch, the commercial ones are really what you describe and if you have a climber or concern about predator you'll want something sturdier, not to mention you could make something far more impressive. That said - here's what it was supposed to look like, and here's what I did.

I moved the door to the side for easier access to litter box, flipped roof around and raised it on a slant as there is existing house overhang; I didn't really need shelter from weather except for about 6" on one corner. I took the panels intended for the back and attached them on the side and top, enlarging the space - and since it is already on concrete slab by my front door I attached it to the door and window frame. No need to drill through metal siding.
Took me about an hour to set this up.

I don't recommend chicken wire; want something with thicker gauge. If I were building it myself I would have also gone with those tinted corrugated polycarb roof panels. But frankly once you buy a bit of timber for frame and staple the wire, from there it's just design details - doors, perches, etc.

I've also seen folks get pretty creative with PVC pipe. I'll be doing a barricade with that @ my boss' house for her third story deck, just to keep her cat off the railing.

PXL_20210329_153629342~2.jpg
IMG_20210328_101503_692.jpg

Screenshot_20210329-111234.png

Ok, just read something like a page and a half of check out rants. I’m going to go anti rant on this one. As many of you know, I am a yankee (can’t change that it’s a happenstance of my birth). When I first moved south, I used to go out of my damned mind. People talk too slowly (I finished your sentence in my head 7 words ago can we please get on with it). People drive too slow. And Jesus H Christ on a friggen crutch, why are you chatting with a cashier you don’t even know AFTER you have paid?
One day, my blood pressure was climbing and a little vein in my temple started to bulge while buying beer at the Harris-Teeter, and I thought, “Dude, you’re buying beer to sit by a pool. This is not urgent. Chill the f*** out.” That was the day I embraced a certain southern slowness that makes life more pleasant. There are very few things any of us do that are truly urgent (EMT and ER dr.s exempted).
I’ve now been back up here 4 years, and I constantly see others stressing out over irrelevant s*** and I just want to say, “ C’mon man, breathe. It’s all going to be ok”
I can feel myself getting sucked back in to the mentality at times. In those moments I try to think of beers on the Carolina coast and just breathe. Nothing is so important. Yes our time is precious, but in those moments when we allow other’s actions to make us crazy we are only squandering our own time. We Can enjoy our moments or we can get stressed. The choice is ours. Either way, that old gal is going to be really slow at the register. I’ve found I’m happier just saying, “take your time Love, nothing I have going on is that important. “
Yankee huh? I was told a long long time ago, in a military facility far, far away (in the south) that the clay was red colored due to the yankee blood spilled on it. ;)

Also learned here, coming from a northern city, with strong Italian presence, that "Bless your heart" is the equivalent to "va fangul" up north.

I left PA 26 years ago. One of the things I was happy to see in the mirror was the rat race. Everywhere you went people were always in a big hurry to go nowhere and do nothing, faster than you. I live out in the country but when I head toward Greenville it all starts coming back to me. Where I grew up was much like where I live now. only now, when i go back to visit mom, there is not a square foot that is not developed. You have to go another 30 miles or so north to get to an area similar to how it was when I was a kid. We were 30 miles north of Philly, it's now just an extension of the city.

I see it slowly creeping out here too. Progress they tell me, progress.

Izzy, in Philly it was Yo, Ey Fangu. Man do I miss real Italian food :)

Independent used car dealerships. Rant over.

I've lucked out but for the most part, but any calls I've made to one ended with me laughing hysterically before telling them goodbye

Although private seller can be just as bad. At least they're more motivated by cash in hand.

They talk about having a particular vehicle in stock and then when you get there they act like they want to keep it in stock because it is desirable.

I'm working on a web, peer to peer startup (by myself, cause I'm poor and can't pay anyone to help me) so I reach out to all the 'incubators' and 'entrepreneur' shops around the Triangle....and there are plenty......and they all...ALL...tell me I'm not far along enough.....even though they advertise as helping 'early stage' and 'idea' founders. I've applied for grants because I can't go any further on my on....SURPRISE...."not far along enough", even though I'm farther along than some of the grant winners over the years.

I know (and have easily outlined) the problem(s), I have the answer(s), I know the market, I have the growth and revenue plan, I have the website started, I've spoken with and had Q/A sessions about my idea in front of panels of developers and and investors, I've applied for grants, and I've researched other incubators. Sure, there will be some tweaks as progress is made, but that is to be expected.

Does 'startup' mean generating $1MM+ annually now?

I work full time, and they send me links to these programs that are full time. That won't work. There are NUMEROUS 'minority, women, black, underserved' programs. WTF. Just because I'm white (but they don't know that) doesn't mean my money tree is producing. In fact, I never got 1 dollar from it. But that's another store entirely.

So how am I supposed to go from 'early stage' to 'next level' when all these groups that actually advertise to do that exact thing don't actually mean it?

/rant

Signed up for my shots yesterday via the website for my pharmacy (CVS, but not our local one). Never got a text or email confirmation. My wife went to the same place last week and got both. Called the pharmacy today and was told that they don't have the schedule until day of. They suggested calling the pharmacy number again and talking with the COVID option because they keep that info. 20 minutes later that option told me they don't have that info and I need to call the pharmacy. I told them that that's how I ended up speaking to her. She called the pharmacy and was told the same thing I was. I can supposedly called tomorrow to confirm my appt but I'm kinda guessing at what time and what location at this point. All I know for certain is when my second shot is - "Both" of my two outstanding prescriptions with this place are COVID shots due at that date (4/30).

You guys in business for yourself will get this, some others as well :)

I get a fair amount of call from guys doing their own swaps that want me to tell them what they need to do to do their swap. Generally annoying but some are a bit over the top. had a call today from a guy that is doing a swap in his 80 and wants to use a split case. I explain that this is my business and I am not in the business of teaching others how to do it over the phone. I am busy working on a truck for a customer.

"Well that is why I called you I am too busy to do all the research so I figured you could tell me because you have done it."

I really tried to be polite, I swear I did.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom