Builds Car Camping Edition Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm going to run without a slide for a bit. If it drives me nuts I'll get one but currently I can open the lid far enough to easily reach everything so I might as well save the money and 40lbs.
yeah, if you have access then no need. My fridge is on the tall side so that plus a platform means I need a slide.

Few more parts rolled in. Building a 72Ah LiFePO4 house battery out of 4 3.2V batteries with a bms, renogy 30A dual input charge controller (mppt solar and alternator), bluetooth module, renogy 100w solar panel on factory cross bars (can't fit a taller rack in my garage), all tucked in a tiny pelican case.

Batteries weigh a total of 17lbs and should run the fridge for 60+ hours without any charging and provide some reserve for making ice with the 55im. With the 100w panel or driving occasionally the fridge will run indefinitely. I'll post more on the setup once it's done.

The OEM hose, clamps, and transmission cooler have also arrived. Might wait to install until the CBI bumper shows up.
IMG_20210402_202311413_HDR.jpg

And the lift is in! I'll be giving the install a go in my tiny 1 car garage tomorrow. Should be a good time.
IMG_20210407_180118425.jpg

Few more parts rolled in. Building a 72Ah LiFePO4 house battery out of 4 3.2V batteries with a bms, renogy 30A dual input charge controller (mppt solar and alternator), bluetooth module, renogy 100w solar panel on factory cross bars (can't fit a taller rack in my garage), all tucked in a tiny pelican case.

Batteries weigh a total of 17lbs and should run the fridge for 60+ hours without any charging and provide some reserve for making ice with the 55im. With the 100w panel or driving occasionally the fridge will run indefinitely. I'll post more on the setup once it's done.

The OEM hose, clamps, and transmission cooler have also arrived. Might wait to install until the CBI bumper shows up.
View attachment 2633879
Your power plan looks really interesting. I don't know enough about secondary power systems to ask the right questions but do you know of any resources to or build threads that talk about a similar approach? The 3.2v batteries look about $40 each so this look like a really cost effective way to add a lithium set-up. Would love to see a detailed build when you get there.

Your power plan looks really interesting. I don't know enough about secondary power systems to ask the right questions but do you know of any resources to or build threads that talk about a similar approach? The 3.2v batteries look about $40 each so this look like a really cost effective way to add a lithium set-up. Would love to see a detailed build when you get there.
Will do. As far as dual/aux battery setups go it's pretty cheap, small, and light.

So far I am pretty happy with the ironman lift. I have a couple of quibbles with the airbag delete kit (packing, hardware, and instructions) that'll pass on to ironman for other folks. Otherwise though the lift is pretty decent quality and netted a very even 2 1/2ish lift all the way around.

Ride comfort is slightly worse (like sport mode) than stock on small pavement imperfections. On bigger dips or speed bumps it's much improved over stock and on corrugated dirt roads the ironman is exceedingly comfortable and controlled. For the price I think it's hard to beat. As compared to my 470 (same tires) with bilstein 5160/6112, SPC UCAs, metal tech coil conversion and icon 2" rear springs this ironman set up is more compliant and has less head toss.

When I went for an alignment it turns out one of the cam bolts is seized. Pretty annoying for a 2016 rig and a super common issue on Toyota. They were able to get the alignment close enough but I'll likely address the issue with super pro LCAs within the month. No time currently before my NM turkey hunt next week.

When you checked your suspension height, what it as soon as you installed it and took it off the jack stands? If so, do another measurement. Often suspensions will settle over time, just a wee bit, not much. Also if you should start adding weight, e.g. bumpers, sliders, etc. your suspension will soften up again! :D
One thing I found when I had my suspension added was that I wasn't hitting my bump stops so easily!

So here's some info on the battery pack/house system. Capacity wise this falls somewhere between something like a Jackery 500 and yeti 1000. This is all scale-able if someone wanted to double their capacity and run two packs (144Ah pack). Given that LiFePO4 batteries can be discharged far more than lead acid without damage means that 72Ah should be plenty for me.

Parts:
Pelican iM2306 (slightly oversized but I already had it)
(x4) 72Ah LiFePO4 batteries in series with home made busbars (smashed copper pipe with holes drilled)
(x2, via amazon and it has wiring diagram, measure current in and out) bayite DC 6.5-100V 0-100A LCD Display Digital Current Voltage Power Energy Meter Multimeter Ammeter Voltmeter with 100A Current Shunt
(via ebay, wiring is super easy) US 4S 12V 60A LiFePo4 LFP Lithium Battery Cell Protect PCB BMS Board IP65 Balance
Various pieces of wire, anderson power poles, and connectors

Direct from Alibaba these batteries are pretty inexpensive and should provide my fridge (Dometic 55iM) a solid 2+ days of run time with out any charging. Coupled with the 100w solar panel on the roof and Renogy charge controller (dual input 30A: solar and alternator via 3rd row power) means that I should be able run my fridge 24/7. The battery pack all together weighs less than 20lbs too. I built this from essentially parts that were being scrapped minus the BMS/Power monitors but even at retail this is a pretty cheap set up as far as house power goes.

IMG_20210422_143727633.jpg

IMG_20210422_143700453_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
So here's some info on the battery pack/house system. Capacity wise this falls somewhere between something like a Jackery 500 and yeti 1000. This is all scale-able if someone wanted to double their capacity and run two packs (144Ah pack). Given that LiFePO4 batteries can be discharged far more than lead acid without damage means that 72Ah should be plenty for me.

Parts:
(x4) 72Ah LiFePO4 batteries in series with home made busbars (smashed copper pipe with holes drilled)
(x2, via amazon and it has wiring diagram, measure current in and out) bayite DC 6.5-100V 0-100A LCD Display Digital Current Voltage Power Energy Meter Multimeter Ammeter Voltmeter with 100A Current Shunt
(via ebay, wiring is super easy) US 4S 12V 60A LiFePo4 LFP Lithium Battery Cell Protect PCB BMS Board IP65 Balance

Direct from Alibaba these batteries are pretty inexpensive and should provide my fridge (Dometic 55iM) a solid 2+ days of run time with out any charging. Coupled with the 100w solar panel on the roof and Renogy charge controller (dual input 30A: solar and alternator via 3rd row power) means that I should be able run my fridge 24/7. The battery pack all together weighs less than 20lbs too. I built this from essentially parts that were being scrapped minus the BMS/Power monitors but even at retail this is a pretty cheap set up as far as house power goes.

(pics aren't uploading but I'll post em later).
I wonder if this could all be put on-board, meaning, instead of going dual batteries, the space the second battery would take, just put your setup in there?
How large are those battery packs (x, y, z dims)?

I wonder if this could all be put on-board, meaning, instead of going dual batteries, the space the second battery would take, just put your setup in there?
How large are those battery packs (x, y, z dims)?
5.3L * 1.1W * 8.7H in per cell

Reactions: r2m
So far I am pretty happy with the ironman lift. I have a couple of quibbles with the airbag delete kit (packing, hardware, and instructions) that'll pass on to ironman for other folks. Otherwise though the lift is pretty decent quality and netted a very even 2 1/2ish lift all the way around.

Ride comfort is slightly worse (like sport mode) than stock on small pavement imperfections. On bigger dips or speed bumps it's much improved over stock and on corrugated dirt roads the ironman is exceedingly comfortable and controlled. For the price I think it's hard to beat. As compared to my 470 (same tires) with bilstein 5160/6112, SPC UCAs, metal tech coil conversion and icon 2" rear springs this ironman set up is more compliant and has less head toss.

When I went for an alignment it turns out one of the cam bolts is seized. Pretty annoying for a 2016 rig and a super common issue on Toyota. They were able to get the alignment close enough but I'll likely address the issue with super pro LCAs within the month. No time currently before my NM turkey hunt next week.

Your findings mirror mine in regards to ride. Stiff and a tad harsh on slow speed straight edge hits but extremely compliant at speed and only improving the faster you go. It’s a dream running down the beach at 50mph.

I found the FCP’s only settled 1/4” at best over time. Ride compliance hasn’t ever really improved either but it hasn’t gotten any worse and they’ve been on for 14 months now. Without user adjustable controls for compression, rebound and dampening there’s no way to improve upon this but for a fixed system it’s quite good.

Nice to hear, since I just ordered FCP lift last night.

Your findings mirror mine in regards to ride. Stiff and a tad harsh on slow speed straight edge hits but extremely compliant at speed and only improving the faster you go. It’s a dream running down the beach at 50mph.

I found the FCP’s only settled 1/4” at best over time. Ride compliance hasn’t ever really improved either but it hasn’t gotten any worse and they’ve been on for 14 months now. Without user adjustable controls for compression, rebound and dampening there’s no way to improve upon this but for a fixed system it’s quite good.

Nice to hear, since I just ordered FCP lift last night.
My height didn't change after the 600 miles so far. I really don't mind the very slightly stiffer ride on smoothish pavement. It's basically eliminated the terrible nose dive (and subsequent seat belt tightening/brake locking) I experienced with the stock suspension. After doing some slower offroading on my turkey hunt I am super impressed with the suspension given the fixed nature and price. I love it and think you'll be happy Swede.

My height didn't change after the 600 miles so far. I really don't mind the very slightly stiffer ride on smoothish pavement. It's basically eliminated the terrible nose dive (and subsequent seat belt tightening/brake locking) I experienced with the stock suspension. After doing some slower offroading on my turkey hunt I am super impressed with the suspension given the fixed nature and price. I love it and think you'll be happy Swede.
That all sounds great!

25% off brought it down near Dobinson IMS price which I was thinking about doing anyway.

Probably won't arrive until June, but that actually works well for me.

Parts:

View attachment 2653366

View attachment 2653367
Do you have a link to where you purchased your batteries? I've looked online but can't get a solid price, even from Alibaba.

Do you have a link to where you purchased your batteries? I've looked online but can't get a solid price, even from Alibaba.

This place has USA Stock. They are also on ebay and alibaba. I got mine from some leftover scientific equipment that was being recycled.

That all sounds great!

25% off brought it down near Dobinson IMS price which I was thinking about doing anyway.

Probably won't arrive until June, but that actually works well for me.
I was also looking at IMS. Ironman has a better warranty and customer service which played into my decision. Plus they weren't quite as backordered and I got free treds!

Pretty much wrapped up the diy aux battery, roof solar, dual input charge controller, drawers, and fridge straps this evening. Need to finalize a bit of wiring for permanent location but so far it works perfectly.

If anyone is considering drawers I am quite happy with them for the price point. It was excellent having them on my last hunt and I stayed way more organized. The wing kit probably isn't great (like all of them it seems) but it works and fits tight.
IMG_20210511_194115198.jpg
IMG_20210511_194054822_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210511_194132030_HDR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom