Builds FZJ60 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I thought the same, Jimmy. I chalked it up to the 1FZ's extra 80HP doing the damage as she makes a little more tq and spins faster (with significantly different curves) - both are no bueno for the clutch in the long term. A *huge* caveat was the shortage of 1st hand info- there was only a thread or two IIRC.

I thought the same, Jimmy. I chalked it up to the 1FZ's extra 80HP doing the damage as she makes a little more tq and spins faster (with significantly different curves) - both are no bueno for the clutch in the long term. A *huge* caveat was the shortage of 1st hand info- there was only a thread or two IIRC.

I'd have to look through the catalog but I imagine there is a quartermaster clutch...or brand of your choice... that could be setup to work between the H55 and the 1FZ....should have no issues handling the power/torque.

@Tennessee80, I went down the 1FZFE/H55F rabbit hole pretty deep a few months back. The snag that rained on my parade was clutch durability. It seems that the discs that work with the H55 can't handle the 1FZ over the long term. There wasn't a lot of info out there about this, but there was enough to make me bail on the idea. Twas a shame, because a manual 1FZ is such a sweet, sweet option.

Hey Zach, is there real time evidence that the H55 clutch can't handle the 1FZ or just the specs of it appear to not be able to stand up to it? I would think that if you could get 100,000 miles or so out of a clutch, it would be worth it. Heck, if you drive 20,000 miles a year (pretty good amount), even 50,000 miles out of a clutch wouldn't be mega horrible...

Hmmm

Hey Zach, is there real time evidence that the H55 clutch can't handle the 1FZ or just the specs of it appear to not be able to stand up to it? I would think that if you could get 100,000 miles or so out of a clutch, it would be worth it. Heck, if you drive 20,000 miles a year (pretty good amount), even 50,000 miles out of a clutch wouldn't be mega horrible...

Hmmm

Whoever came up with it must not know how to drive or something. The Toyota clutch isn’t really anything different then a Chevy clutch which hold up fine to much more powerful engines.

Last edited:
What wiring does a 1FZ need that any other EFI engine doesn’t need ?

I'll let you know one day. I have every intention of making a go at getting one running on the stand.

Is this build done yet? 🍿
Not yet, got the AC lines completed and the mud flaps. Got busy moving to a new house. Ready to get things moving still need to complete the exhaust. 🙄

Last edited:
Trying to wrap this build up, exhaust is done, still chasing a few electrical issues and need to charge the AC

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looking good Monroy! Can't wait to see it.

Jeff, I noticed in early pics that the t-case shifter knob seemed to sit lower (and maybe farther fwd) than you show at the end. What had to move?

The drivetrain is moved back 2 inches, the reason for the lower shifter is the “body lift” caused by the body sitting higher than an 80. To solve this issue I purchase a 2 inch shifter extender.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Badass Monroy! Looking forward to seeing it in person.

I got to see this beast in person this week and it is AWESOME. Can’t wait to crawl all around it soon.

Oh man. Just read this thread from top to bottom. Please tell me it'll be at SAS because I'm mega-stoked to see it in person. Such clean work!

Oh man. Just read this thread from top to bottom. Please tell me it'll be at SAS because I'm mega-stoked to see it in person. Such clean work!
That’s the plan to have it done for SAS5, been driving it around the block a few times, got a few electrical issues sorted, just have about 3 more to finish. I also purchased a new touch screen bluetooth system I’ll be installing soon.

Last edited:
Just added fuel, taking it for a spin.

image.jpg

Woot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom