I need a new router/modem (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Netgear Orbi from BestBuy

I've had positive results from the mesh style google wifi (their OG offering not the new nest wifi). Setup is a breeze and allows management of multiple homes from single app (if that is a benefit to you). I also like how each wifi point has a ethernet haul back if you prefer hardwire connection to a desktop, etc. (their new nest wifi does not have this). I have 2 points in the house and 1 in the shop which gives me a great signal anywhere in the yard, inside, shop.

Only downside and it isn't really google's issue...but some of the ancillary wifi connected things like my Inkbird smoker temp probe requires 2.4 ghz band for connection and the google only supports 5 ghz band...so I have an older apple airport extreme for these types of scenarios.

Bought this thing back in 2018 and haven't had a hiccup since. 3 boys gaming with their friends, no problems.

I do also have a gigabit connection tho - that's helpful.

ASUS RT-AC5300​

Amazon product ASIN B0167HG1V6

I've had positive results from the mesh style google wifi (their OG offering not the new nest wifi). Setup is a breeze and allows management of multiple homes from single app (if that is a benefit to you). I also like how each wifi point has a ethernet haul back if you prefer hardwire connection to a desktop, etc. (their new nest wifi does not have this). I have 2 points in the house and 1 in the shop which gives me a great signal anywhere in the yard, inside, shop.

Only downside and it isn't really google's issue...but some of the ancillary wifi connected things like my Inkbird smoker temp probe requires 2.4 ghz band for connection and the google only supports 5 ghz band...so I have an older apple airport extreme for these types of scenarios.
I second this. Google pods are good never had an issue. We’ve always had problems getting the house covered but now we Have one upstairs down stairs and in the shed. And no more problems

I found a 56k modem in a box in the attic. You can have it for free.

Netgear Orbi supports wifi6 with a base speed of 1.2Gb/s. The ethernet backhaul between the router and satellite is a private dual channel wifi6 signal with 2.4Gb/s of transfer. The Orbi's range is better than most mesh networks, it supports 5 and 2.4 signals, MU-MIMO, basic DHCP, device monitoring, phone app, list of attached devices, and a guest network. I have the AX4200, the step down from the AX6000, with one router and one satellite. The router is upstairs at one end of the house and the satellite is downstairs at the other end and I get fantastic coverage. When I build out my third floor, I will add another satellite. Both the router and satellite have hardwired ports for further expansion.

I've had a Netgear nighthawk that I hated and ran it with a powerline WAP downstairs.

I've also had a Amplifi Alien. Great signal in open air but crummy firmware, limited support, and expensive.

I would also recommend running a Pi-hole. Home - https://pi-hole.net/ Network wide ad blocking or a blackhole for ads. It runs as a container, an application on a container, or on raspberry pi.

Another vote for the Google Wi-Fi system. I have the three pack in my house and have been very happy with the speeds, especially with newer devices.

For the sake of ease and convenience, I bought the Orbi ax4200 2-pack at best buy today because it was in stock and everything else they had confused me, plus it was the only one I'd researched before heading there. Getting ready to set it up.

As an aside, I first went to Academy Sports where I heard the gun salesman tell a customer that "modern guns don't have any kind of safety so that you can start shooting as soon as you take it out of the case". Wow. Just...wow. Yes, he said "case"; plus all the other malarky in that statement.

I then went to Best Buy and was pleasantly surprised to hear the employee helping the only other customer in the router aisle actually asking the customer questions about house size, router location, expected needs, etc. He must have been new.

For the sake of ease and convenience, I bought the Orbi ax4200 2-pack at best buy today because it was in stock and everything else they had confused me, plus it was the only one I'd researched before heading there. Getting ready to set it up.

As an aside, I first went to Academy Sports where I heard the gun salesman tell a customer that "modern guns don't have any kind of safety so that you can start shooting as soon as you take it out of the case". Wow. Just...wow. Yes, he said "case"; plus all the other malarky in that statement.

I then went to Best Buy and was pleasantly surprised to hear the employee helping the only other customer in the router aisle actually asking the customer questions about house size, router location, expected needs, etc. He must have been new.
Most of the veterans want to argue over the new technology with customers and tell them how stupid they are. We did have someone in Bestbuy appliances that helped us twice with more than a year between visits and he gave very valuable information both times.

Set up of the Orbi was very smooth. You start by downloading the app then it walks you through every step. Hardest part was figuring out how to disable the wifi portion of my old Nighthawk C7000 so I could use it only as a modem. Turns out there's a button to press on the front of it. Yes, I'm an idiot. So, I suppose the problem was with the wifi portion because the modem portion has been working flawlessly all day with the Orbi. For the record, the issue was far worse on my 2014 MacBook Pro (Yosemite 10.10.5!) than any other computer, phone to device in the house. Just updated it to High Sierra 10.13.6 (2017) and the rest of my problems seem to have gone away. Bonus: I have the MUD emoji button back after a 3 month hiatus! :D

Now to reset the network and password on all my other devices. Ugh.
"password" is not a good password. Neither is "password1".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom