Quick Draw H55F Top Plate Adapters (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Will Van

GOLD Star
Threads
Quick Draw Brand making H55F top plates...

6-A473867-05-FF-4-D4-A-97-FE-4-B4-F3071-ECBB.jpg

Cummins Diesel Conversion Cummins R2.8 4BT 6BT Detroit 353 453 - https://quickdrawbrand.com/

Any timeframe/cost on this? I assume it's little early but figure that should be in the equation with an announcement..

Quickdraw said about six weeks, but no mention of cost yet. Does anybody know what else would be needed? Does the H41/H42 shift lever work? I assume you could use the stock 60/70 series H55f shift forks but would need different shafts for them since the shift lever will have moved.

Last edited:
It would appear that the reason that they are doing this is because the bell housing that they make to mate the R2.8 to an H42/H55 positions the transmission too far forward in the trans tunnel once the engine is in the correct position in the engine bay. Currently you have to modify your trans tunnel/shifter in order to make it work. In addition to this, it requires making a new cross member for the trans/t-case and relocating it forward in order to support the rest of the driveline. This also requires drive shaft lengthening/shortening.

The first photo below is what the shifter looks like with the QD adapter.

The second picture is what the shifter looks like when the transmission is kept in the factory location using our adapter.

The third picture is the drivetrain showing the transmission in the factory location which does not require ANY modification at all for an '85-'87 with an H55.

The fourth photo shows the drivetrain in an early 60 using the stock cross member in the stock location. The only required modification for early 60s is shortening the rear drive shaft and lengthening the front shaft to accommodate for the extra length of the H55 compared to the early H42s.

The QD kit also requires the use of an aftermarket non-Toyota 2F clutch set up. Our kit uses the factory 2F/3F Bell housing, flywheel, clutch kit (although an HD Clutch kit is recommended to accommodate the additional torque) and clutch slave cylinder.

We at Overland Cruisers have have developed what we believe the be the absolute best adapter set up and conversion component kit for the R2.8 to H55/H42 for FJ60s. The kit also works in FJ62s but requires a new crossmember to accommodate the H55 in place of the A442 (We do not yet have the FJ62 cross member ready for production). The engine to transmission adapter kit also works for all 40 series trucks. (We don't yet have the rest of the brackets ready for production for 40 Series).

Please check out the links above and shoot us any questions that you may have.

If you would like the perspective of an independent fellow Mud member, reach out to Cruiser Jimmy as he has completed the conversion in his garage using our kit.

60763837428__471568A2-80B1-49F7-B78F-317BDBAD2F1F.jpeg

IMG_7870.jpg

IMG_7872.jpg

503E09F3-4E69-4198-8A6B-B86CA23BE66B.jpeg

Last edited:
The reason that they are doing this is because the bell housing that they make to mate the R2.8 to an H42/H55 positions the transmission too far forward in the trans tunnel once the engine is in the correct position in the engine bay. Currently you have to modify your trans tunnel/shifter in order to make it work. In addition to this, it requires making a new cross member for the trans/t-case and relocating it forward in order to support the rest of the driveline. This also requires drive shaft lengthening/shortening.

The first photo below is what the shifter looks like with the QD adapter.

The second picture is what the shifter looks like when the transmission is kept in the factory location using our adapter.

The third picture is the drivetrain showing the transmission in the factory location which does not require ANY modification at all for an '85-'87 with an H55.

The fourth photo shows the drivetrain in an early 60 using the stock cross member in the stock location. The only required modification for early 60s is shortening the rear drive shaft and lengthening the front shaft to accommodate for the extra length of the H55 compared to the early H42s.

The QD kit also requires the use of an aftermarket non-Toyota 2F clutch set up. Our kit uses the factory 2F/3F Bell housing, flywheel, clutch kit (although an HD Clutch kit is recommended to accommodate the additional torque) and clutch slave cylinder.

We at Overland Cruisers have have developed what we believe the be the absolute best adapter set up and conversion component kit for the R2.8 to H55/H42 for FJ60s. The kit also works in FJ62s but requires a new crossmember to accommodate the H55 in place of the A442 (We do not yet have the FJ62 cross member ready for production). The engine to transmission adapter kit also works for all 40 series trucks. (We don't yet have the rest of the brackets ready for production for 40 Series). Please check out the links above and shoot us any questions that you may have. If you would like the perspective of an independent fellow Mud member, reach out to Cruiser Jimmy as he has completed the conversion in his garage using our kit.

View attachment 2625825

View attachment 2625862

View attachment 2625863

View attachment 2625896
Great intel. Thanks for clearing that up.

Following.....

I don't know how realistic the time frame was, but I assumed that since they were announcing it, they had pretty much figured out all the parts. The 40 series top cover should be the same whether the engine is an F or a B, the transmission is in the same place. For other engines such as the R2.8, I think they are making the top with the shift lever moved way back because their R2.8 to H55f bellhousing is very short and moves the transmission forward. So they are making two different top plates, one like the super rare 40 series H55f top plate, and one with the lever moved back for the R2.8.
View attachment 2675834

Moved this over here where it belongs.

Did they say they were making the H55F top cover to fit the B/F engine in the 40 series or possible one to use their R2.8 Adapter to H55F in the 40 series which would be different than the 60 series. To be clear the super rare 40 series top plate moves the shift cane forward which is the opposite you want with short diesel engine. Toyota solved the problem by making a longer bellhousing for the 3B to keep the drive train in the same location no matter which engine B, F or H. Seems their business revolves around their diesel conversion. Do you have anything else on the subject? Can't find anything on this other than a FB posts you copied. Can you link something off their site.

Moved this over here where it belongs.

Did they say they were making the H55F top cover to fit the B/F engine in the 40 series or possible one to use their R2.8 Adapter to H55F in the 40 series which would be different than the 60 series. To be clear the super rare 40 series top plate moves the shift cane forward which is the opposite you want with short diesel engine. Toyota solved the problem by making a longer bellhousing for the 3B to keep the drive train in the same location no matter which engine B, F or H. Seems their business revolves around their diesel conversion. Do you have anything else on the subject? Can't find anything on this other than a FB posts you copied. Can you link something off their site.
No I'm just going off that conversation but it seems pretty clear to me that they are making a repro 40 series H55f top plate. Maybe I'm misinterpreting this exchange?
1621283300176.png

Did anything ever come of this project? I want to put an H55F into my FJ55.

- is this Quick-Draw Product discussed here in this Thread made from a composite or metal of some kind 🤔

I heard through 2nd hand information the final product was going to be full on composite , the main body / housing I refer to shown above ?

Could this actually be the case and how would this exactly work mechanically ?

It’s a intriguing topic for sure ..

I heard through 2nd hand information the final product was going to be full on composite , the main body / housing I refer to shown above ?

Could this actually be the case and how would this exactly work mechanically ?

It’s a intriguing topic for sure ..

Guess I look at this as the wrong approach for adding a non Toyota diesel. Toyota went about this in a different way. They made top covers that were for different model not different engines. 60/70 series and the NLA 40 series top covers. Toyota handled the different engine lengths with different length bellhousings. Make a bellhousing that would place the transmission in the same. ocation as Toyota did and call it a day. Which I do not know for sure but believe the bellhousing is already an adapter. While a no go for me most installing a H55F in their 40 series are using a new 60 series H55F including the top cover. Both styles cover made by Toyota the shift tower is supported 360°. The one pictured above is supported in the front and a little on each side. I can see a hard shifting transmission have a lot of leverage to snap the extension off the back. My opinion is just make a single bellhousing/adapter and call it good.

I am going to use the top cover that came with my H55F and modify the transmission hump with a FJ60 cover that has the shifter holes in the right place for a FJ60 version of the H55F.
I am using my 4 speed bell housing and bolt the Overland Cruisers adapter between the bell housing and the R2.8.

Guess I look at this as the wrong approach for adding a non Toyota diesel. Toyota went about this in a different way. They made top covers that were for different model not different engines. 60/70 series and the NLA 40 series top covers. Toyota handled the different engine lengths with different length bellhousings. Make a bellhousing that would place the transmission in the same. ocation as Toyota did and call it a day. Which I do not know for sure but believe the bellhousing is already an adapter. While a no go for me most installing a H55F in their 40 series are using a new 60 series H55F including the top cover. Both styles cover made by Toyota the shift tower is supported 360°. The one pictured above is supported in the front and a little on each side. I can see a hard shifting transmission have a lot of leverage to snap the extension off the back. My opinion is just make a single bellhousing/adapter and call it good.
I think Quickdraw tries to use one casting and to drill/machine it differently for different transmissions where possible. Keeping it compact prevents the need to space out other items to make up the difference. The R2.8 seems to want to move the shifter into the heater with how far forward it sits, even more so than some V8s I have seen. The 60 series H55 mitigates this with a V8 because it is further back that the 40s top cover, but a 40 series 4 speed would definitely need it move. ICON goes even further back using AX15s or NV3550s according to their build videos.

Their original intent seems to have been to move the shifter aft to work with the R2.8. I had asked if they were doing 40 style top covers moving it forward and they said they had been looking at both

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom