FJ55 year by year differences listed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@PabloCruise @WarDamnEagle @Lifelong40Fan

I've updated tailgate changes. Thanks for the p/n changes @RUSH55

@Pipemasta808 I'm new to the 55s, hopefully veterans can help with this.

So a few more changes not clear:

Dash design change
Ignition switch from dash to steering column
License plate (tag) lights from bottom single to side dual
Number of keys
Locking gas lid (to go with # of keys?)

Last edited:
This is a cool idea for Pig chronology.

'69 had the grille mounted lights (like '68), but the turn signals were fender mounted.

I think it was Sep '72 they put the side vents on the rear quarter - around the reflectors.

Then I think in early '73 they dropped the bug catcher vent windows. So a small time frame to get bug catchers and rear quarter vents.

At a certain point ('77?), they rounded the window frame on the front doors.

'77 also is the only year the tailgate does not have the raised letters "TOYOTA".

'78 and '79 had the different tail lights - longer and lower.

'79 front grille is different - the area around TOYOTA is hollowed out.
79 has power steering standard also

Dont forget about the birfield and knuckle change, disc brakes. Hood change, air cleaner change.

Very early pigs had side reflectors for about a year. I’d say model year ‘69, before the illuminated side markers showed up, but after the side mounted turn signals disappeared. Had a piggie with them decades ago. Factory round reflector all four side corners. Suspect FJ40s had same things during time when the amber round reflectors were on the aprons on 40’s.

Back to the keys, my mid year 79 has 1 key, doors, ign, gas door. Operates all 9f these, fits the rear gate but nothing happens. Could be a faulty switch or something wrong with the rear window??
Mike

Back to the keys, my mid year 79 has 1 key, doors, ign, gas door. Operates all 9f these, fits the rear gate but nothing happens. Could be a faulty switch or something wrong with the rear window??
Mike
Does the dash switch operate the window? If so then it is likely a bad switch or wiring associated with the rear switch.

Very early pigs had side reflectors for about a year. I’d say model year ‘69, before the illuminated side markers showed up, but after the side mounted turn signals disappeared. Had a piggie with them decades ago. Factory round reflector all four side corners. Suspect FJ40s had same things during time when the amber round reflectors were on the aprons on 40’s.
Yup, the side markers changed in late 69, per what i can see in the brochures.

4 speed transmission did not arrive until 1975

1977 was a mutt year. Earlymiddle 77 had square front doors. Swap to round was late production 77s.

Same with tailgates.

The tailgate completely changed 78-79

78-79 have wider thinner radiators and the 2F has a fan clutch

1973 was the year they went to two plate lights. E-72 long light still available OEM

Fender vents went from open slots to fake slots with the 2F I think.

4 speed transmission did not arrive until 1975

1977 was a mutt year. Earlymiddle 77 had square front doors. Swap to round was late production 77s.

Same with tailgates.

The tailgate completely changed 78-79

78-79 have wider thinner radiators and the 2F has a fan clutch

1973 was the year they went to two plate lights. E-72 long light still available OEM

Fender vents went from open slots to fake slots with the 2F I think.
Per the Importarchive scans of the brochures, the 4-speed trans was introduced in 1974.

I've already noted the tailgate changes in the list. Same with the doors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom