How much do you like/enjoy/use the tailgate? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had a 2014 200, and I now have a 2019 GX. I am still split on the issue. I actually prefer the barn door, because it's just like another car door and is easier to quickly access the trunk from the driver's side. Many complain about parallel parking, but for my use, I've never had an issue. For me, its easier to use for lots of random stuff that the 200 was. I am starting to prefer sitting in the trunk of the GX more, as I have a place to rest my feet for putting on shoes, washing kids feet, etc. The 200 tailgate worked also, but legs dangled and accessing the deep part of the trunk was more work. Overall... I like them both. At time I miss the 200 features, but overall I actually think I like the GX more.

I've always thought using a bio friendly material like Delrin, or as used Richlite for an insert for the table was the best way to go!
I wouldn't ever used wood because too much odor and stains, especially if you're camping in bear country. You want to be able to keep that insert as clean as possible!
I looked at a bunch of materials for the Kaon insert, many available at the same source, and richlite won out. Like mentioned, it’s easy to fully clean so good for bear country, it’s easy on knives, heat resistant and importantly, relatively lightweight with the 1/4” option. The 1/4” richlite is 0.0098 lbs per square inch coming to around 5lbs for the insert. I also looked at both 1/4” HDPE and 1/2” bamboo. The HDPE is half the price of richlite but doesn’t look as nice, is less durable, and heavier. Bamboo looks better, costs more, and weighs 50% more (no 1/4” option) and is prone to warp over time.

It might be good to use the bolt through versus screw option to make the table stronger with the added weight of the insert. We plan to switch to the new ultralight GSI Pinnacle Pro two burner stove when it’s released to keep weight in check on the table when we are making full blown meals. I’ve cut a 15lb brisket on the table and the weight was fine but I did have to adjust the cord up a bit as it stretched 1/4” or so under load. I’d be interested to see if anyone has swapped out the included cord for something with less stretch to improve the load rating on theirs.

Speaking as a tall person who has practically killed himself striking his forehead on the corner of open liftgates, I much prefer this door.

Kitchen lighting for the rear door here, starts @ #302

Great lighting mod. Can you provide any details on how you wired it? Power source, fusing, switching, wire gauge? I‘ve done a power panel with 12 volt, Anderson, auSB, etc. on the other side of the car but never brought power to the passenger (US) side.

One advantage of the barn door is for those who haul long objects on their roof, like a canoe. With a rear hatch, it's difficult or impossible to open the hatch very far with a canoe on the top. A barn door can easily open, especially if the canoe is strapped directly to the rack with some NRS straps, as opposed to the front and rear of the vehicle.

We've used my wife's Outback and my former Forester for canoe hauling several times. The Outback has two clear coat chips on the hatch from where I lifted it in to the gunwales on our canoe, and the Forester was almost impossible to get into at the back with it being so close to the ground and the canoe hanging several feet off the back. I'm looking forward to throwing on two NRS straps across the rack and opening up the barn door on the GX with no obstructions, when we haul our canoe this summer.

Great lighting mod. Can you provide any details on how you wired it? Power source, fusing, switching, wire gauge? I‘ve done a power panel with 12 volt, Anderson, auSB, etc. on the other side of the car but never brought power to the passenger (US) side.
I don't recall the wire gauge. The light has the switch built in and the power source is from a fuse block that I installed in the left aft cubby. Maybe fused at 3 amps.

Anyone else find it weird that Toyota sells SUV's with basically every tail gate configuration they can? Barn door on the GX, overhead on the 4 Runner and clam shell on the LC. Just seems like they would pick one.

My wife likes the brn door because she is 5'0" tall and can reach things in the front of the cargo area as opposed to the tail gate which makes it so she has to get in the rear area. I like the tailgate/clam shell openings better.

Anyone else find it weird that Toyota sells SUV's with basically every tail gate configuration they can? Barn door on the GX, overhead on the 4 Runner and clam shell on the LC. Just seems like they would pick one.

My wife likes the brn door because she is 5'0" tall and can reach things in the front of the cargo area as opposed to the tail gate which makes it so she has to get in the rear area. I like the tailgate/clam shell openings better.
Heck, I'm 6'4", and I would almost always end up flipping down the second row seat and using rear doors to get groceries out of the back of the lifted 100 series Land Cruiser...

There's one combo that's missing that Toyota hasn't done, the dual swing-out barn doors with a lift! That was an option on the Ford Excursion's. ;)
I agree, for me the best option would be tailgate and lift clam shell combo like the 100 series is configured.
But with my MetalTech rear bumper, it sticks out about eight inches and provides a great platform for standing, sitting, working on, whatever! Not having a proper tailgate, that bumper has been awesome!

Ambulance doors is what you're thinking of @r2m. FJ40's had them as well as did Suburbans and a few others. I like ambulance doors a lot, I would prefer that over the barn door of the GX but if you ran a dual swing out tire carrier you'd have four things to open in order to fully access the rear lol.

Reactions: r2m
Ambulance doors is what you're thinking of @r2m. FJ40's had them as well as did Suburbans and a few others. I like ambulance doors a lot, I would prefer that over the barn door of the GX but if you ran a dual swing out tire carrier you'd have four things to open in order to fully access the rear lol.
Opening the back would start to feel like opening Russian nesting dolls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom