The Daily Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So what’s everyone’s spring projects? Any nee trucks in the works? Turning into old overlanders? Finally fitting 40’s? Saving up money to buy parts now that the world is onto our affection?

Been slowly picking away at the buggy. Just completed an aluminum roof for it.

50534460-835F-4597-AB47-0C930C1E64F0.jpeg

Thanks. I tried it several ways. What worked best was to lay the sheet on the tubes and start clamping it from the front to the back using two by fours to spread the stress. I worked some of it with a hammer but not much. I removed the sheet, welded on tabs from ruff stuff that are threaded. Spaced them where I wanted and then put the roof back on. The hardest part was drilling the holes for the tabs.

I did try to anneal the aluminum, that really did not work that well. I was able to get it to relax but getting the Aluminum to the right temp was tough especially on such a big piece. I only wanted to anneal the first 10" or so of the panel. I used a candle to coat the sheet in black then a map gas torch. I probably would have had better luck with Oxy-acetalyn. But I don't have one.

I then finished the roof with a plastic sander for removing paint and WD-40, that dulled it out and removed the scratches from the install. I used a sheet of 5052 1/8", you can use 3003, but for some reason that is hard to find up here. Working on it off and on, I probably have 8 hours in the roof. If I had a metal brake, I think it would have been easier.

Wednesday night wheeling starting back up ! Was a bit wet last night but got 1/2 a new trail cut up to some sweet v notches.

0407211753.jpg

0407211945.jpg

Last edited:
wednesday nights, usually 5pm till dark from now hopefully till fall! All are welcome if youre willing to make the drive (Northfield vt, 05663)

Check your emails if you live in Mass and bought anything from cruiser gear recently....

D7D7C54E-B1A2-41B1-AF81-9E711DA06783.png

My dad came over this weekend to help with a downed tree in my woods, I figured we'd take my truck into the woods, but he went right in.

May not seem like a big deal, but thats a 21 with less than 800 miles on it. I was impressed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom