Towing with the 4.5 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Obviously these engines arent the most powerful things ever produced. That being said im curious how many people tow with theirs. I currently have a 2000 LX and tow my 19ft center console pathfinder on the weekends and it handles it easily. Im looking to get into an 80 and want to know how my it will be, i think i would be fine around town and thats really all im looking for. Any input?

Obviously these engines arent the most powerful things ever produced. That being said im curious how many people tow with theirs. I currently have a 2000 LX and tow my 19ft center console pathfinder on the weekends and it handles it easily. Im looking to get into an 80 and want to know how my it will be, i think i would be fine around town and thats really all im looking for. Any input?
I'm gonna be "that guy" today.

Do a search for this in this forum. There are a number of "Do you tow with your 80" threads and they go into all sorts of detail and power and braking issues.

('95-'97)

Just don't expect it to pull as well as your 2000 LX. MAX horsepower difference is only 18hp but MAX torque is 45 lb. ft. difference (in favor of the 2UZ-FE). Also you have 4:30-1 gearing in your LX, 4:10-1 in the 80 Series. Transmissions and Tcases are the same (except for viscous coupler in 80 series). Your LX has a hydraulic brake booster (superior to vacuum boost on the 80 series).

Yes, an 80 series will pull it....but your LX will be noticeably better in all respects.

4.7L tows better than the 4.5L with any load in my experience. I had a Sequoia with the 4.7L, much better for towing than the 80. Not saying it can't do it I'm just saying it will be a downgrade in towing performance.

I tow a small camper with mine. Only about 2000 pounds. Tow rating is 5000 pounds - a 3000 pound boat would be fine. Wouldn't be as good as your 2000.

Fine for around town if you want to have an 80 for other reasons. I tow a ~2000 pound camper regularly. Tough to keep up 75mph on the interstate, but works fine if you have reasonable expectations. I took about 4000 pounds to the dump yesterday and it even went up a pretty steep hill without exploding!

If you're looking primarily for a tow rig, look elsewhere. But if you're looking for an adventure-mobile that is capable of towing occasionally, the 80 will do fine.

3FE, go home!

Last edited:
download.jpeg

Fine for around town if you want to have an 80 for other reasons. I tow a ~2000 pound camper regularly. Tough to keep up 75mph on the interstate, but works fine if you have reasonable expectations. I took about 4000 pounds to the dump yesterday and it even went up a pretty steep hill without exploding!

If you're looking primarily for a tow rig, look elsewhere. But if you're looking for an adventure-mobile that is capable of towing occasionally, the 80 will do fine.

3FE, go home!

^^^^^

Yep,

And folks would do well to remember the transmission has 3 forward gears (and overdrive). USE THEM.....!

A properly operating 1FZ-FE doesn't care one bit if you run it at 4500 rpm (if need be). Keep the engine in its power band and it will tow well enough. No speed demon...be sure, and when you hit an incline its going to be noticeable (might even struggle) but you'll get there.

Frame of reference, I’ve towed our Audi S6 which weighs about 4,400 on a 16’ open car hauler with the truck loaded inside. Trailer weighs another 1,700. It goes up the grapevine at 40ish. Yes, it sucks but it will do it.

The 80 is on 35”s and it’s been re-geared to 4.88s.

We drag this trailer all over the southeastern United States and it does just OK. It struggles to keep up on the Interstate if there are any hills at all. We usually stick to back roads and take our time and just enjoy the ride.
dDXRbVbFTzGMwZqlWxKG8Q.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom