Builds Project Pikachu: 1977 FJ40 (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Biggest down side is marine batteries typically only have 12 months of warranty. They also have lower CCAs than a similarly sized automotive battery.

I picked my son up at school in the 40. He is a very reserved/quiet kid, but really gets a kick out of the notoriety and street cred he gets from teachers, other students, etc. when we roll out in this thing. Makes him happy, which makes me happy.

Did a little bit of tinkering under the hood when we got home. Pikachu is running great. Obviously, the new battery is as good as...new.
077B7963-A6BA-47D0-9368-E86B864161A3.jpeg

I picked my son up at school in the 40. He is a very reserved/quiet kid, but really gets a kick out of the notoriety and street cred he gets from teachers, other students, etc. when we roll out in this thing. Makes him happy, which makes me happy.

Did a little bit of tinkering under the hood when we got home. Pikachu is running great. Obviously, the new battery is as good as...new.
View attachment 2612261
awesome! I am taking my forty to my high school soon, and it should give everyone there a kick! yours looks so awesome

Thanks for the help on this yesterday, @iptman.

This Costco battery is worth looking at. 3-year full-replacement warranty, not pro-rated.

It’s big, but fits perfectly in the tray.

Looking forward to running this bad boy.
View attachment 2609698
Hey @cbmontgo are you missing the tensioning bolt for your alternator?
811D0824-F27E-4142-9CAC-505D3EB66002.jpeg

I mentioned this because a single bolt on the alternator bracket holding by friction might be contributing to the Optimas early demise. The dual redundancy system with the tensioning bolt plus the friction bolt is a great design.

I mentioned this because a single bolt on the alternator bracket holding by friction might be contributing to the Optimas early demise. The dual redundancy system with the tensioning bolt plus the friction bolt is a great design.
Interesting stuff and good tech.

So I don’t think that second bolt is stock for a mid-1970s FJ40. Based on what I’m seeing online, I think my bracket is from a late 40 or a 60 because it has that hole for the second bolt.

Here is what I think a true stock 1977 alternator bracket would look like in the first pic, and the second pic is my 1976.
5A90B21D-64AF-4176-B2ED-EC3ED8E456B2.png
5C93BAAE-C71D-44AF-BB95-782884212F2D.jpeg

Now you’ve taught me something. :cheers: My earlier picture above is my 3/79 with the original bracket. So Toyota-San put the tensioning bolt on as early as 79. My 9/74 is still in storage and I couldn’t remember what it had but it probably looks like the flat brackets you posted. BTW your truck and landscape shots are quite inspiring. My own Olympic and Cascade ranges are socked in under a huge snowpack right now.

Now you’ve taught me something. :cheers: My earlier picture above is my 3/79 with the original bracket. So Toyota-San put the tensioning bolt on as early as 79. My 9/74 is still in storage and I couldn’t remember what it had but it probably looks like the flat brackets you posted. BTW your truck and landscape shots are quite inspiring. My own Olympic and Cascade ranges are socked in under a huge snowpack right now.
Hey thanks.

It’s always fun to learn something. I never even noticed this later model tensioner until you caught it.

We’ve got snow pretty big snow hitting Colorado today as well. We need it.

I’ve been searching for a good condition 1977 cluster for a while. There are some subtle differences for the year range and these aren’t very easy to find. Nearly all of them are corroded around the gauges too.

Amazingly, @JVZii had this one come up for sale with gauges in perfect original condition. Even the mileage matched mine, which is kinda crazy. The wear and tear on the besel even matches the dash. Very happy.
89E5E688-8D84-436F-9C6A-4A3B8E07785E.jpeg

@cbmontgo how tippy is your truck? Would a roof rack be too much? I’m thinking about going for a similar set up to yours (4 inch lift with 33s)

@cbmontgo how tippy is your truck? Would a roof rack be too much? I’m thinking about going for a similar set up to yours (4 inch lift with 33s)
It would be fine with a roof rack. It’s a stiff enough suspension that it never feels off balance to me, but I guess it depends on the type of off-camber situations you might get into.

On a similar note, I think the HFS is a perfect combo of comfort and stoutness. It’s very underrated on this forum.

It would be fine with a roof rack. It’s a stiff enough suspension that it never feels off balance to me, but I guess it depends on the type of off-camber situations you might get into.

On a similar note, I think the HFS is a perfect combo of comfort and stoutness. It’s very underrated on this forum.
ill look into it. how do u think it compares to skyjacker?

As a side note, I’ve been focusing lately on the FZJ80 that I got from my dad a year or so ago due to his declining health. This rig sat in storage at our place in Montana and needed a lot of TLC to make it a daily driver again.

I’ve done a few restoration-type items (replaced old front bumper, cracked headlights, cracked instrument besel, grille, wrapped steering wheel in new leather, found a proper set of third row seats, etc.) and a handful of mechanical items (CDL sensor replacement to get F/R lockers working, OEM belts and idler pulley, OEM accelerator cable, new tires, exhaust leak repairs, oil change, etc.).

Once I was happy with her mechanical condition, I went with a new OME suspension.
F8032A65-F573-4AB5-84D0-BAC824AEB9E6.jpeg
FE40B3BD-4140-4047-B6EA-DAEC7B44DCAB.jpeg

Man, you should have come out to CM. Would have been a blast. Looks like a fun trip!

Let me know when you want those cats for the 80.

Man, you should have come out to CM. Would have been a blast. Looks like a fun trip!

Let me know when you want those cats for the 80.
Yeah, I need to make it over to CM one of these days for sure.

I’ll link up soon for that exhaust and tail lights. By the way, remind me to tell you about a buddy who grew up on your street next time I see you guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom