What have you been doing with your Toyota? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

it is fun watching new kids get into a truck with multiple sticks and let them figure out what to do.
it's a wonderful way to humble those who think they know how to do and can do everything. my problem is it's been so long since i used to drive with twins that i'm sure i'd embarass myself which usually isn't hard to do anyway.

it's a wonderful way to humble those who think they know how to do and can do everything. my problem is it's been so long since i used to drive with twins that i'm sure i'd embarass myself which usually isn't hard to do anyway.
Our old International farm truck was pretty good at humbling you. No syncros and miss the range shift and I'd have to coast back down to a stop and start over if it wasn't going downhill.

Who needs cupholders. I can drive with Starbucks in one hand, on snapchat with my phone, driving with my knee. Also drive a stick shift.
I’ll bring the Starbucks, you bring your phone and we’ll time laps around the parking lot at Hyalite.

Sitting in my hot tub having a beer the other day I could tell the birds flying around wanted a bath. So this is what they now have in my yard.
2EDC6107-3DEC-4FD8-9F35-E5083E9CB71B.jpeg

I did a test fit of the 500D Cordura cover that I made for my new center console. It's a good tight fit. I'm having a friend 3D print me some cup holder inserts designed to fit Hydroflask vacuum bottles without being too big. Once I get the inserts in hand I'll be able to finish sizing the holes. Then I'll be able to glue the cover in place, cut out the openings, and staple all the ends. I'm still waiting on the correct foam for the arm rest and lid, but it should show up in a day or two.
20210315_200143.jpg

temporarily installed an SLP Loudmouth2 resonator. it doesn't sound 1/2 bad.. to me anyway

KIMG2329.JPG

160924007_10225812411039305_4505149187741522051_o.jpg

1. Re-did my weatherstripping earlier this week. So far is much better. 2. I let the fluid film flow freely yesterday. 3. took her on some nice wether runs this week. Totally missed the Hyalite meet-up was last Sunday! The wife and I did catch glimpse of a dark green 40 heading east on Frontage toward 7th, when she had me combine a 40 valley cruise w a Cashman’s run ;)

It’s not a particularly good look for our club when you charge someone money to help them fix a small mistake, then make fun of them in our public forum. Why would you take money from someone for something like that?
When you help someone out of the kindness of your heart and then they offer you cash you don't say no. I gave him the talk about staying on the road and that he was likely stuck on private land. Then I apologized to the sage brush that I drove over when I was pulling him out.

I'm really looking forward to getting my 40 on the road in the real near future, but there are a few things I need to get done before I can do that. So I thought it would be helpful to write a little checklist. Suddenly the number 10 font filled a whole page and this checklist feels a lot less helpful.

I'm really looking forward to getting my 40 on the road in the real near future, but there are a few things I need to get done before I can do that. So I thought it would be helpful to write a little checklist. Suddenly the number 10 font filled a whole page and this checklist feels a lot less helpful.
I you on feel that one ..... I have my own truck to prepare for a 10 day outing in may and currently have my dads 60 up from Nevada getting some love at OC getting some major upgrades before our outing in may but there's a lot of little things I need to do when its done there and there just isn't time for both trucks with finals bearing down on me quickly, time is running out! Looking at the list and it's starting to become what is needed for the trucks to run and if one truck has a working something does the other truck needs theirs working too like my compressor system... Rebuilt his NWF black box last Friday afternoon with the updated case design and new 3.1:1 Low range gears in the split case. His 60 crawl ratio will now be 167.4:1, not too shabby for a lumbering ~7500 lb 60 series
PXL_20210318_142416498.jpg

PXL_20210318_142431803.jpg

PXL_20210318_142436878.jpg

But I have made more tent progress. Made some brackets for my riversmith and my awning. The mt. hood slots use M8 hardware so attaching stuff is really easy. Last thing to do up top is finish the wind deflector and then on to a full once over of the drivetrain, new springs in the rear, swap seats for storage platform and a lot of other tiny things on the 80...

PXL_20210317_171359712.jpg

PXL_20210322_181304803.jpg

You got a build thread going yet?

No build thread. I doubt anyone is actually interested in watching me stumble through basic repairs and making things more complicated than they need to be. Plus, it'll likely never have any cool stuff like Johnny's tent or that NFW black box. I do have a Google Doc were I keep a dated record of repairs, upgrades, trips, and breakages. I put pictures in there too. When I die my wife will have that document, whatever it's worth, to go along with the 40 if she decided to sell it.

No build thread. I doubt anyone is actually interested in watching me stumble through basic repairs and making things more complicated than they need to be. Plus, it'll likely never have any cool stuff like Johnny's tent or that NFW black box. I do have a Google Doc were I keep a dated record of repairs, upgrades, trips, and breakages. I put pictures in there too. When I die my wife will have that document, whatever it's worth, to go along with the 40 if she decided to sell it.
40's are about the coolest things out there and will always have more character than a stupid tent or a black box! Anyone can buy those, not everyone can keep a 40 on the road

Last edited:
40's are very cool and they do have a lot of character, but that alone doesn't make for an interesting build thread. Plus, once you have a build thread there is some obligation (real or just subconscious) to keep it updated. I'm a big fan of the @ttFJC and @adventurefamly trip prep thread. It's like a build thread, but it has a defined sunset. The never-ending build thread thing seems to me like it would just add a layer of stress and complication to a thing that should be all about enjoyment. I like having my personal document to keep track of things, but I like having no real or perceived obligation to make periodic updates for internet strangers.

Fair point. Although some internet strangers become friends. (That sounds kinda creepy written out).
I like reading about the mundane repairs. I think it's more genuine than the flip-side, full-on builds with endless budgets.
First time I met strangers from the internet here on the 406 mud page @TommyGuns flopped his FJ Cruiser... Stranger Danger :beer:

Although some internet strangers become friends.
...and then they stop reading build threads because they know where the garage is and just stop by to see progress and help turn wrenches and/or drink all the garage beers.

I agree with you about the mundane stuff though. That's why I like reading and posting to threads like this one and why I enjoy the trip prep thread I posted about earlier. Plus, posting here I reach locals who can recommend a good shop when I get in over my head, sometimes someone like @elkun1 will have parts I can try before I spend a bunch of money on a hunch (I still have your fan and shroud by the way), or if I ask the same dumb question enough times someone will feel sorry for me and volunteer to stop by and teach me. I could probably get that with a build thread too, but I'd also have to wade through all the unsolicited and irrelevant opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom