Harrop E locker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HemiAlex

Long live the 2F
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
yotaoilfilters.com
Is anyone using one in free float axle? I’m really getting frustrated with ARB stuff and I’d like to use the e locker in my 80 series axle swap.

I’ll take any ARB’s you’re discarding, I won’t put one of those Harrops in my truck. I don’t like the way they free spool between forwards and reverse at all.

But yes, there are tons of guys running them in 80’s. Check in that section

I've had an ARB compressor on board for 2 years, just for airing tires on and off the trail. It just recently failed. Likely a burnt up motor and contacts. The relay burns up when you engage it, but it wont burn the maxi fuse or anything else. I've spent a week of back and forth emails with ARB, who have been super helpful...I did the self diagnosis guide and nothing else is at fault....its 100% the motor.

I don't feel that this should take this long to remedy, and I completely don't trust the compressor to stay engaged and run the lockers. A $290 compressor that gets used 6 times a year shouldn't fail. My $30 slime air compressor is going on 6 years without issue.

So before I spend $2000 for front and rear air lockers, I'd like to examine other options.

What size compressor? They don’t have the duty cycle unless there is an air storage tank in the system.

You could use powertank/Co2 tank with air switches to activate your lockers and air up.

Much more effective way to do it. Also airs substantially faster than a compressor. You can also adjust the output pressure if needed.

What size compressor? They don’t have the duty cycle unless there is an air storage tank in the system.

You could use powertank/Co2 tank with air switches to activate your lockers and air up.

Much more effective way to do it. Also airs substantially faster than a compressor. You can also adjust the output pressure if needed.

It’s their middle one for lockers and airing tires.

Ill have to look into this power tank.

co2 for the win. Makes the small air compressors look like a complete joke. Fills up a 35" tire in less then 30 seconds.

Skip the powertank brand, they are just powder coating the bottles and putting a logo on them and charging an extra $5-600. My 25lb co2 bottle was $20 at a flea market, 150psi fixed regulator $50 on amazon, and a 25ft flexy hose from Home depot. Cost about $30 to refill and I haven't had to refill it yet.

You might have to get a little creative to use them with a ARB locker, plumbing-wise. I believe @GLTHFJ60 is running pneumatic switches with his ARBs

co2 for the win. Makes the small air compressors look like a complete joke. Fills up a 35" tire in less then 30 seconds.

Skip the powertank brand, they are just powder coating the bottles and putting a logo on them and charging an extra $5-600. My 25lb co2 bottle was $20 at a flea market, 150psi fixed regulator $50 on amazon, and a 25ft flexy hose from Home depot. Cost about $30 to refill and I haven't had to refill it yet.

You might have to get a little creative to use them with a ARB locker, plumbing-wise. I believe @GLTHFJ60 is running pneumatic switches with his ARBs

I like this idea. You’ve got me looking at c02 cylinders while watching Christmas movies.

No elockers available for a semi float axle.

Eaton makes the Harrop. In the USA Eaton has decided to not let Harrop have the market.

So now Eaton is selling the elockers in the states, for less than Harrops. The Harropp vendor is phasing out the elockers if they haven’t already. And honestly the wiring harness is much nicer on the Eaton.

Cheers

Eaton makes the Harrop. In the USA Eaton has decided to not let Harrop have the market.

So now Eaton is selling the elockers in the states, for less than Harrops. The Harropp vendor is phasing out the elockers if they haven’t already. And honestly the wiring harness is much nicer on the Eaton.

Cheers

Well bummer, I bought two new Harrops for my build a couple months ago. I wish I would have known a cheaper equal option was coming to market. I am not disappointed in my purchase, just wish I could have saved a few bucks.

Cheers

I’ll be going with a Free float 80 axle for this swap thankfully.

I’ll take any ARB’s you’re discarding, I won’t put one of those Harrops in my truck. I don’t like the way they free spool between forwards and reverse at all.

But yes, there are tons of guys running them in 80’s. Check in that section

I have been looking at the Eaton E-Locker for my rig. Could you explain what you mean they free spool? And does the Eaton do this like the Harrop? Thanks.

I've had one in my full floater 80 rear axle for 4 years, 35's & a V8. I haven't found any free spooling between reverse & forward to be a problem. When it was new I once had it disengage with a loud clunk a little way after I had switched it off, once it didn't engage. After that no problems, it just works. gets used at least monthly.

When I was involved in winch challenges here years back everybody had ARB lockers & internal seal failures were very common, needed to completely strip the diff to fix it, that turned me right off airlockers.

Cheers
Clint

I run the Eaton/Harop Elockers in my 80 buggy. Startded using them when the 80 was full bodied. Just recently cut it up into a buggy. They have been pretty very reliable. Running 4.88's on 38's.
38 is the limit on these lockers I believe so I'm glad to hear they're holding up. How hard have you been on them so far? I just reageared to 4.88s and installed these front and rear but only running 37s.

I don't think they are the weak link, and I don't think tire size plays a factor in it. I just started to run 38's, I have about 4 events on them with no issues. I had them on my full size 80 for about 4 years, but was only running 33's. Only one time have I had one of them not engage, When I went through the wiring I could not find an issue as to why it failed. Has worked solid since them. I would run them again, I have never notice a delay in lockup or unlocking. I definitely don't baby it, when It was a full 80, I had to use the skinny pedal more then I do now.

I don't think they are the weak link, and I don't think tire size plays a factor in it. I just started to run 38's, I have about 4 events on them with no issues. I had them on my full size 80 for about 4 years, but was only running 33's. Only one time have I had one of them not engage, When I went through the wiring I could not find an issue as to why it failed. Has worked solid since them. I would run them again, I have never notice a delay in lockup or unlocking. I definitely don't baby it, when It was a full 80, I had to use the skinny pedal more then I do now.

Share some pics of the 80 Buggy!

Here are a couple of pictures. Most of the fab work was done by me at Iron Pig Off Road. I am good friends with Lance. We built this in 25 days off and on over last summer. Our goal was to make the Yankee Toys Fall Gathering on Columbus day weekend in October. We made it to the event truck was about 85% don't at that point. I plan on doing a build thread but here are some teasers. Started as a 93 Landcruiser:

Triangulated 4 link in rear
Three linked front.
4.88 with Harrop ELockers
38 black label stickies Patagonias, Build was originally designed for 40's but could not find a set to buy last september.
16" ORI's

A7501F8D-8BEB-4901-8507-3B97D7EBE2F9.jpeg
96AA9C8C-F137-4DCA-ACA1-3CF412AAF761.jpeg
34C857BE-09ED-467F-A3B7-BF05A015F58F.jpeg
95ACDB59-C0EB-44EE-B603-AC8C10599991.jpeg
A7D8CFB3-2A19-4F0A-83BE-E37D50FA938A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom